Author Topic: Irish National League Report - "Evicted Tenant"  (Read 953 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish National League Report - "Evicted Tenant"
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 July 20 19:39 BST (UK) »
I will have to look up the wedding announcement of James Armstrong's daughter, Maggie ... was it also in The Nationalist?
Yes on Saturday June 27 1903

Offline cam12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 July 20 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi - sorry - typing mistake! - James Armstrong did not "own" the land ... he rented 16 acres alone (along with a house, office, etc)  ... and shared the tenancy of the other 2 acreages (and a stone quarry). He also sub-let out 4 small houses (I assume possibly to farm workers?).  All of this was located in, or near Ballagh. His landlord was Alexander Percival Esq. 

After having read that article about the Land Wars, etc. , I should have been more sensitive to how unique it would have been for a small farmer to have "owned" his own land at that time!

In the 27 September 1890  edition of The Nationalist, in the Clonoulty & Rossport report from the Irish National League, near the end of the report, when asking for donations to assist an imprisoned member of the League ... "James Armstrong (evicted tenant)" is shown donating 5 shillings.

If the League was pretty consistent identifying people in that manner - and you have spotted James in other reports without the "evicted tenant" description ... that may actually help to narrow the time frame of when the eviction occurred. 

Is there a web site where you located the Irish National Leagues reports ... or did you locate them by culling through The Nationalist newspaper?

Thanks! :) 

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 July 20 14:58 BST (UK) »
Yes just newspapers but I was looking at a few papers, just not doing a very good job on it, I wasn't at my best the other day.

I'll see how today goes and hopefully have another look later.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 July 20 16:47 BST (UK) »
Some articles giving detailed explanations of Griffith's Valuation, with examples.

"Griffith's Valuation - a mid-19th century gem" on Irish Toolkit website
https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/griffiths-valuation.html

"Is There More in Griffith's Valuation Than Just Names" by James Reilly, feature article on IrelandXO website
https://irelandxo.com/sites/default/files/Griffiths%20background%20article.pdf
The example studied is in County Kildare

"Using Griffith's Printed Valuation c.1860"
www.billmacafee.com/seacon/seaconmoregriffithval1860..htm

Cowban

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 July 20 17:47 BST (UK) »
Is this your James in 1901?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tipperary/Clonoulty_West/Ballagh/1705837/
if it is on the House and Building Return
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003907931/ he is now listed in the Landholder column as are most of his neighbours. There is no single Landlord for all or most of the townland as there was at the time of GV

Offline cam12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 July 20 21:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for your help and reference information. :)

Regarding the 1901 Census - yes, that is James Armstrong JUNIOR and the one referred to in the earlier Irish National League report as seen in The Nationalist 27 Sept 1890. It appears that by the 1901 Census he had recovered and was on his own land.

Question: how do you access on-line the i.e. 1901 (or 1911) Census B1 and B2 forms that give more details about the properties?  I see how to get into the PDFs which show the forms that match the Census summary showing the family details ... but not the other forms.

Thanks!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 July 20 23:23 BST (UK) »
Question: how do you access on-line the i.e. 1901 (or 1911) Census B1 and B2 forms that give more details about the properties?  I see how to get into the PDFs which show the forms that match the Census summary showing the family details ... but not the other forms.

Thanks!
If I'm understanding your question correctly just click on the blue writing the same as for the Household Return (Form A)

Offline merrick7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 July 20 18:17 BST (UK) »
I have a feeling I sent you this before but just in case

Clonoulty graveyard

Erected by James Armstrong of Ballaugh in memory of his daughters Mary Armstrong depd Janry
6th 1832 Aged 2 yrs And Mary Armstrong / Junior depd Decbr
10th 1840 / aged / 1 1/2 yrs / James Armstrong / Who died 18th July 1912 Aged 80 years / James
Armstrong died 30th April 1943 / his Wife Katie Died 25th March 1954 / And Their Son J. J. died
aged 5 yrs / Catherine Armstrong Died Octbr 28th 1969

Offline cam12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 19:05 BST (UK) »
Merrick7 ... yes ... I did received this before, and it was VERY helpful.

My husband's great-grandfather was Simon Armstrong, working in Cashel at the time of his marriage - which showed his father to be "James Armstrong - Farmer".  There were only 3 James Armstrongs in Griffiths, and only the one in nearby Ballagh was renting any notable land and fit the "farmer" description.

Seeing this grave marker enabled me to confirm who I SUSPECTED was one of the children of this James Armstrong "of Ballaugh" (but could find no birth or baptism record for) ... the James who died in July 1912 (and his wife Catherine, nee Brien, who died in 1913 - missing from the copy you just sent, but shown on the original).

This younger James named a Simon Armstrong as one of the baptism sponsors for his 2nd child ... and Simon reciprocated when his first son was born ... which made me feel fairly confident that James Jr and Simon were brothers.

The grave stone provided evidence of the connection James SENIOR to James JUNIOR ... and the latter provided the link to Simon.

The one thing that I do find curious is that there is no reference to James SENIOR (and his wife, Mary Mara) "of Ballaugh" actually being buried in the same plot (although obviously subsequent generations used that grave). James Armstrong (SENIOR) died 12 July 1877 (and his wife, Mary Mara, before him on 16 March 1867).  I went through all of the other gravestones detailed in the cemetery ... but could not find them buried anywhere else.  I suspect that they are in this family plot, however it is just not marked on the grave stone.

I am wondering - is there a particular Catholic Church nearby connected to the Clonoulty cemetery that might have any additional records?  And would that be the church that people from Ballagh in the 1800's would have attended?

Thanks for all of your (and other Roots Chat members) help!  There is no way I could have pieced this scenario together without input from all of you from "across the pond".