Author Topic: Diary - Thursday 2nd July  (Read 518 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Thursday 2nd July
« on: Thursday 02 July 20 22:37 BST (UK) »
Well here we go earlier than usual.... shock horror...

Up at reasonable time this morning... weather was mixed sunshine and showers again!
Sent message to son in Oz and scrabbled around quickly as he was free to chat!
OH was fully into bread making so son had visual lesson on how to do it!
They seem to be back to normal pretty much there although Victoria state is in shut down and WA isn't letting anyone in either!
He said he'd met up with pals for lunch and it's giving name, address etc and ordering via an app...
He's very busy which is great news.... he's just finished a wonderful 3m long table with lots of different woods and clear and pale blue resin infill... customer delighted and gave him a bottle of Moët ... can't be bad.
Well that was half the morning gone.... but in a nice way..
Up the garden to pick strawberries, courgettes, raspberries and beetroots..
Had a good ckean up in the bathrooms...
OH busy with jigsaw... me crawling round the floor cutting out more scrubs!
Shouted down I was starving! Opps he got so engrossed forgot to put in the oven... finally ready late lunch at gone 2pm!
Watched little spotted woodpecker on one of the trees... that's now three days running I've seen one of the two varieties we see.
Spent rest of afternoon sewing... well trying to... overlocker playing up and spent all afternoon trying to sort it out! In desperation asked O.H to see if he could see what I was doing wrong... resorted to YouTube in the end.. couldn't believe what a dumbo I am... got thread through tension discs in wrong place... how long have I been sewing ...oh don't even go there! Finally did what I needed in 10 minutes... no comment..
Dinner was chicken and salad ...
No tv as mostly rubbish so had game of scrabble! Guess what... I won..

Look forward to reading everyone else's day.... hope you've had good ones.

Caroline
PS - dare I say Internet hasn't caused any trouble today... got phone call from sky saying it's still being looked into and will call me again on Saturday... keeping fingers crossed all is well for more than a week otherwise going to jump up and down!
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Thursday 2nd July
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 July 20 23:05 BST (UK) »
You threw me there Caroline, was just replying to previous days! Sounds like you had a lovely time seeing your grandson on his birthday yesterday, albeit electronically. Good to hear that things are moving on for your son in Oz. Congratulations of the scrabble win! First of many I hope.

My diary:

Once again I showered and washed my hair before having copious amounts of restorative tea. Can hardly believe it, I think I deserve some sort of award!  ;)

It was raining this morning so I wasn't in any hurry to go on my walk. Made a cup of tea, took the milk out of the fridge and the orange juice carton so I could have some of that as wll. Guess what went in the tea? Made a fresh one and spent quite a while reading, doing my nails, bits of cleaning and tidying. The rain had cleared but it was approaching lunch time and I knew that if I went then I'd be hungry while I was out and maybe hurrying my walk so decided to postpone till after lunch. Had some part baked baguettes that needed using, the date isn't very long on these, the Aldi ones always had a very long best before date. I needed to bake the bread and wait for it to cool. They also come in a pack of two that can't be split without losing the seal on the pack. It seems like the whole world is tailored to couples and families these days, no account taken of those of us who only have one to cater for. Found that I could have frozen them when I bought them, instead I baked both and crammed the spare one in the freezer.

After lunch I washed the kitchen floor as I knew I wouldn't feel like doing it after my walk. Put some leftovers in the freezer. By this time it was bright and had warmed up so no jacket. Field was clear of rubbish and the dog poo had gone, not sure about the face mask that was there yesterday, didn't go round that way.

Some days ago I was thinking about how I used to be able to identify a lot of trees and although I still know some there are others that I don't know. I downloaded an app that helps, you can identify them by leaves, bark, fruit etc. I realised that there were quite a lot of ash trees in the woods, silver birch I already knew, a few more yet to identify. It's good to know about the nature surrounding us. Yesterday I'd been looking out of my bedroom window and was laughing at a blackbird that was turfing lumps of soil out of my flower border, one after another they were being flung on the lawn! Some were quite big lumps. It seems he found his prize worm eventually, it obviously wasn't deep enough for the crafty blackbird.

Back home, read the meters and submitted the readings. I had a number of things on my to do list that I intended tackling today, or at least some of them. A friend phoned and we had a long conversation so I didn't really get to do any of them! Ah well, maņana....

I wonder if Trystan started this diary thread thinking that it would be just something to pass the time during lockdown, or whether he realised at the time that it would serve as such a wonderful support network for many of us. Whatever the initial intention I am very grateful to Trystan for the way it's turned out.

Hope everyone had a decent day.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 July 20 01:37 BST (UK) »
Think I could have been a meterorologist - not that I have any interest in the subject per se but clearly it doesn't matter when you get forecasts wrong almost on a daily basis!   With all the technology available to them you'd think forecasts would be more accurate.   Last week where I live showed heavy rain and thunderstorms with a yellow warning to boot.   Didn't get either!   Today light rain forecast late in the day - instead we had heavy rain with a thunderstorm early afternoon.   

Suggested to my sister Roobarb's idea of a Japanese Maple and she thought that excellent.   The Japanese Maple symbolizes 'great blessings and peaceful retreat' which couldn't be more apt for Mary (birthday a week today).

Confess I haven't really had a constructive day although the intention was there.   The most I've done is taking a bag of household rubbish to the black bin at the rear of our car park and then defrosting the fridge before grocery delivery tomorrow.  The few items I had left in the freezer are currently in my downstairs neighbours freezer until tomorrow.   Bless him!

Simple meal in the evening using stuff that had been in freezer - spicy potato wedges, omelette and some baked beans (which I haven't eaten for weeks).

Now a little play on Rootschat and then time for bed.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 July 20 09:19 BST (UK) »
It must have been one of those days Annette, maybe we'll both be more productive today..... or maybe not! I'm just at the copious amounts of tea stage.  :D Am pleased that you and your sister liked the Japanese Maple idea.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 July 20 10:59 BST (UK) »
Haven't time to read others or comment just now... will have a go later.
A bright lovely morning, but I noticed some really black clouds on the horizons.... reckon I better take an umbrella wherever I go.
Was quietly minding my own business when H decided 09:00 was a good time to get the weekly grocery shop out of the way.  There was no queue to get in, but quite a lot of people milling around the store.  No wait for a till which was a relief.  Lots of sanitising "stations" have appeared around the store with notices encouraging shoppers to frequent use. 
Glad that is done for another week, I don't feel happy about such high exposure given the "hot spot" news coverage yesterday.  Must investigate the alleged postcode information availability.
Had just packed the shopping away and made a cup of coffee when a friend phoned to ask if I was free for a walk.  She sounded very down, but happily she was much improved after we had spent a couple of hours putting the world to rights.  We visited Oldway Mansion and looked at the painted rocks and stones collection which is vastly bigger than the last time I was there.
Although the clouds looked thunderous we only had a very slight shower and were able to shelter from it.  I am so blessed to have met that delightful lady a couple of years ago.
After lunch uploaded "The Fear of Ravens" to my Kindle.  Thank you Caroline.
By now H was feeling bored and wanting some exercise so we walked the long way down to the pond and along the beach.
I had been wondering if the tufted ducks might breed on the pond, and today we spotted 6 or 7 tiny little hatchlings bobbing around.  Difficult to be sure exactly how many in the brood as they are consummate divers already.  Sadly I didn't have a decent camera with me, so I do hope they will be visible next time I go down there.
By the time we went down for our evening walk the ducklings had all hidden away, but the wind had dropped and it was a pleasant evening.  On the rocks at the far end of the beach we spotted a heron and some oyster catchers and suddenly we realised there were two herons which took flight and were wheeling around the bay. We thought they might be a pair until they took off in opposite directions.  What a majestic sight!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 July 20 12:10 BST (UK) »
Well wee one had to be covid tested on Wednesday as she came down with tonisllitis.  Good news was that I woke up to the negative result texted already.  Wish we got the results back that quickly at work.  She was brighter today and agreeing to eat so we ate some of the chocolate fudge we had made on Tuesday.

Tried to watch Disney movies on Disney + but kept getting an error message when I we tried to play anything.

Made a chicken stew tonight inspired by a West African recipe. It was made with cocoa, cloves, cinnamon, smoked chilli, cinnomon and peanut butter.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 July 20 13:08 BST (UK) »
Dinner sounds good Pharma, very glad to know little one is recovering and it wasn't Covid. Marvellous testing can be done at speed sometimes!

Caroline, sounds like you had a really good day on the whole, and how lovely the internet didn't wreck your contact time with your son. 
Wonderful you have so many woodpeckers in your garden. Aren't they a glorious sight? 
I used to see them a lot in South Wales.  We did have a lesser spotted for about half a minute in the palm tree here once.  I have a really, really bad photo to prove it!!  :D

Roobarb, what  good idea to have an app to help with identifying trees. I know there is such for birds and flowers too. I can imagine it will make your walks more interesting for you. Enjoy it.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.