Author Topic: Wilks /es of Warwickshire  (Read 471 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Wilks /es of Warwickshire
« on: Friday 03 July 20 09:18 BST (UK) »
Attempting to add more to my Wilks line :)

what I have so far is:

Alice Wilks was born c....  1735  Wellesbourne Warks

she married John Clark/e my direct line.. he was born  c 1735. 

so I need to find if Alice Wilks is the correct lady that married John   around 1757   as she lives in Sherbourne ??  which is a little way away.... maybe

and then I have her Parents as:  Joseph Wilks and Ann Stanley...

now I am not convinced of any of this.... so would appreciate if anyone has other opines'  :) :) :) ha ha

xin

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilks /es of Warwickshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 July 20 11:45 BST (UK) »
There are two marriage entries on the records on Ancy. Which you may have seen, they are badly damaged and faded and seem to be a bit jumbled up with other couples.

John Clark to Alice Wilks 12 Oct 1756 Sherbourne with Fullbrook Both of Fulbrook

Children baptised Barford, William & Sarah 8/09/1758, Anne 22 Feb 1761,Thomas 17/04/1763, Joseph 19 Feb 1766. There may be other baptisms on Freereg.

Alice WILKS Baptism   17 Mar 1736   Warwickshire   Wellesbourne : St Peter : Parish Register

Parents Joseph & Anne. The geography & names seem to fit.

Wife of John but no age?
Alice CLARK   Burial   17 May 1775   Warwickshire   Barford : St Peter

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 July 20 14:34 BST (UK) »
thank you Colin

really appreciate you taking the time to assist :)  will investigate further :)

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 July 20 08:54 BST (UK) »
UHMMMMMM 

well after investigating this... I am putting them on hold...

As   there seem to be two parallel families................................................  Alice and John Clark

Due to a WILL I found for Robert.. my direct line and who I considered to be son of John and Alice -------  I traversed one particular route.. that may now be up for re-assesment and questioning....

So a lot of time and re-thinking needs doing.. on this... Plus a clear brain.. middle of the night job.

xin

ps Colin the Tricketts lead to some of my Clarkes ??? (maybe who knows we shall see !!!!! ha ha ha ) occupation therapy or mental stop gap

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 July 20 12:11 BST (UK) »
I can see a tree on Ancy with the Robert you mention, which shows him as the son of John Clark & Alice Wilks. I also note an 1851 census on FS in Leicestershire with I guess his son John; it gives his year of birth as 1772 at Church Lawford but I do not see a record there.

There was a Robert Clarke parents John & Alice baptised 6 Nov 1771 Farnborough, Warwickshire

There were several more children baptised up to 1788. This is some distance from Church Lawford.

I can only see one marriage for John Clark & Alice Wilkes and that is 1758, they had son Henry baptised Barford 11 July 1773. So I cannot see a connection to Robert?

With regards to my Clarke line that is very much Birmingham back to the 1500s, my grandmother Trickett line arrived in England in the early 1600s, maybe French Huguenots, they first settled in Staffordshire before moving to Coventry in the early 1800s, so there may be a connection there,

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 July 20 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your interest Colin

and great information...

However I need to thoroughly go through what I have collated over the last goodness knows how many years to find the correct Alice :)   and John.

so it wont be today... :)   bet our Tricketts connect somewhere   ... another job for another day

take good care

Fin / aka Xin