Author Topic: Yahoo E-Mail query  (Read 938 times)

Offline alderjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Yahoo E-Mail query
« on: Friday 03 July 20 11:53 BST (UK) »
Before getting laptop I used to only access e-mail etc in local library. There I have a spam folder where I used to get stuff pretty regularly. Now on the laptop at home using same e-mail address (yahoo) there is no spam folder just one called junk mail or similar which never seems to get anything. When I occasionally access e-mail in the library there is the spam folder with messages in.
Why can't I see these at home - there might be something there I need to see! Have asked at library but no-one seems to know other than computers set up differently or different software?

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: E-Mail query
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 July 20 11:59 BST (UK) »
Maybe your security system removes them before you can see them?  Or stops them coming through in the first place.

Know what you mean about wanting to see them, I like to double check too as often non junk items find their way in there.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be able to help.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Yahoo E-Mail query
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 July 20 12:51 BST (UK) »
I use gmail and google stops spam emails coming through before I even see them.  However, I can open gmail on google and check what is in spam, as sometimes even genuine emails end up in spam by mistake and I can then move them to my inbox.  I expect Yahoo has something similar.  I guess you need to go to Yahoo to see if you can see your spam mail there.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 July 20 13:32 BST (UK) »
Now on the laptop at home using same e-mail address (yahoo) there is no spam folder just one called junk mail or similar which never seems to get anything.

What programme are you using to access your emails at home?

If it is a web browser like Firefox, Edge or Chrome and you are using webmail to look at your emails then it should be exactly the same* as what you see in the library.

If your laptop is set up with an email programme/app like Outlook or Windows Mail then things will be different - it would only download the emails it has been set up to download, and folder names like "Spam"/"Junk" will be different.

Yahoo webmail will put items it thinks are junk into a folder called 'Spam'. That happens at the Yahoo end.

An email 'client' like Outlook will usually be set up to download everything it sees in your Inbox, it then processes the downloaded messages and moves any it thinks are junk into a 'local' junk mail folder on your computer.

That would explain why you don't get any junk at home, but it is there when you check at the library.

From what you describe it sounds like you are using an email programme/app on your laptop.

Can you confirm this by describing what you do to access your email on the laptop?

Who set the laptop up for you?  Was it a friend/relative, or someone in a shop?

(*There might be minor differences due to the browser version, but it wouldn't change the name of your junk mail folder)

Offline alderjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 July 20 14:26 BST (UK) »
Bought it from a friend of my partner He then removed his stuff and set me up. I access mail by clicking on mail icon at bottom of screen which takes me straight to the inbox. (If I went in by typing yahoo then mail then user and password etc would that take me in differently and get spam etc?)
Mike

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 July 20 14:50 BST (UK) »
(If I went in by typing yahoo then mail then user and password etc would that take me in differently and get spam etc?)

Yes, if you use a browser to go to the Yahoo site, then click on 'Mail' and sign in it should be exactly the same as you see in the library.

The mail icon at the bottom of the screen is probably using a local email 'client' app instead.

Hope it works ok for you.

Offline alderjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 July 20 19:05 BST (UK) »
Still got the problem as if I go through google to yahoo login and click on login or mail it automatically puts me in to my partner's e-mail in-box page cos that is the way she accesses it. How can I just get the login template so I can input my username/password or can't I do it?
Mike

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 July 20 20:33 BST (UK) »
You should be able to input your own password etc. when going to Yahoo login.  With google, I can log in as myself, or as my son (he gives me access to his emails so we can keep track of his earnings for him - complicated reasons).  What you probably need to do is when you go to Yahoo and it takes you to your partner's log in, is log out and then log in again using your own password etc.  I'm assuming that Yahoo works like other systems.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 July 20 20:37 BST (UK) »
Still got the problem as if I go through google to yahoo login and click on login or mail it automatically puts me in to my partner's e-mail in-box page cos that is the way she accesses it. How can I just get the login template so I can input my username/password or can't I do it?
Mike

If she's selected a "Stay logged in" option then you'll need to go to Yahoo email and find the logout option to log her out first.

That will take you back to the log on page.

I don't use Yahoo mail anymore and I've forgotten where the logout option is, so can't help you with that.  But it will be the same process you use to logout when using your email at the library.

Important:  Before logging her out, make sure she knows her details to log back in again. If she's forgotten her password (unlikely, but possible) then it will be easier to change it whilst her account is still logged in.