Author Topic: Death of Elizabeth BRETT also BREWER nee NEWINGTON about 1671  (Read 405 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of Elizabeth BRETT also BREWER nee NEWINGTON about 1671
« on: Friday 03 July 20 12:40 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth NEWINGTON daughter of Samuel NEWINGTON & Hopestill HEPDON/HEPDEN bap 19 Apr 1618 Kingston by Sea married twice firstly Thomas BREWER and secondly Thomas BRETT. A related topic at https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=833622.0

The ESRO has some documents that indicate Elizabeth died around 19 Apr 1671 at Hurstpierpoint.

https://www.thekeep.info/collections/getrecord/GB179_ACC8648_1_2_12

However I am unable to locate Elizabeth's burial and hoping for some assistance please ???

Westy

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Elizabeth BRETT also BREWER nee NEWINGTON about 1671
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 July 20 22:13 BST (UK) »
I can't find a record either.

Her son Samuel was apparently living in Southover in Lewes by that time.  I wonder if she was also living there?  It doesn't help locate her burial though. :(

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 July 20 10:23 BST (UK) »
Her son Samuel was apparently living in Southover in Lewes by that time.  I wonder if she was also living there? 

She'd be living with her second husband Thomas Brett. Was he still in Hurstpierpoint then?
Apparently so, tying in with the admin record is this one
Release by Thomas Brett, Hurstpierpoint, gentleman, to Samuel Brewer, Southover, of land in Clayton
https://www.thekeep.info/collections/getrecord/GB179_ACC8648_1_2_13

It looks as though the Hurstpierpoint register might be defective around that time - at least for burial records.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-XXDS-Z3Z?i=120

Plus a gap in the BTs :(
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-62WW-TJ?i=712&cat=75311

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 July 20 13:01 BST (UK) »
She'd be living with her second husband Thomas Brett. Was he still in Hurstpierpoint then?

You are correct, of course - I'd got myself in a tangle as to who had died when!

Since Thomas Brett remarried in 1673 at Newick (and it says he was of Horsham at that date), Elizabeth had died by then.  Her father had made his will in 1653 and died in 1661 without altering its content, so perhaps she died 1661-73.  Still not able to find her burial.

Thomas and Elizabeth were baptising children in Hurstpierpoint up to 1659.  Since their daughter Mary married in Newick in 1667, and there are only burials in Newick for Thomas and his second wife Joan, the time-frame and possible locations of Elizabeth's burial narrows.

Something that has piqued my curiosity: Mary's husband was John Higgenbotham.  Her father's second wife was Joan Round, a widow.  She may have been the widow of John Round and born Higginbotham.  If so, were they related?

Nell

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 July 20 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Nell,

Not another conundrum with this family ::) ;D

I will see what I can find about the HIGGINBOTHAM query.

As I remember it Thomas BRETT married Joan CARTER a widow.  He first husband would have had to be CARTER?  From memory we had looked at Joan nee ROUND?  Shall see if I can locate this marriage

Westy

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 July 20 10:46 BST (UK) »

Found this Marriage on SMI

At Newick ,9 Dec 1652

John Round & Joan Higombotme   :)

Any help ?

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 July 20 11:01 BST (UK) »
Joan Carter (nee Plumer) married Samuel Newington in 1630 as his second wife..  She was born between 1576 and 1588.  Samuel does not mention her in his will dated 1653.

Thomas Brett married 1)  Elizabeth Brewer (nee Newington), daughter of the above Samuel and his first wife.  Elizabeth's first husband was John Brewer and died cir 1645.  Thomas & Elizabeth were married by 1647/8.

Thomas Brett married 2) Joan Round, a widow in 1673.  There is a marriage as omega says for Joan Higinbothom (or variant spelling!) to John Round in 1652 which may be relevant.  That is not a common surname in Sussex and for Thomas's daughter Mary to also marry a Higginbothom suggests a family connection.

Oh what a tangled web - although I'm sure they never meant any deception whatsoever!  ;D

Nell