Author Topic: Parents of David Evans born 1844 Trefeglwys  (Read 1371 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of David Evans born 1844 Trefeglwys
« on: Friday 03 July 20 14:11 BST (UK) »
Afternoon everyone,

My 2x GG was David Evans of Trefeglwys. He married Elizabeth Francis in 1875 at the Registry Office in the District of Machynlleth (unsure whether this was actually in Machynlleth or somewhere within the area of Machynlleth). On the marriage record, David was a widower and his father is David Evans a Labourer.

I've been searching for parish baptisms in Trefeglwys between 1841 - 1845 (as all Census returns give a rough year of birth of 1843-44).

Baptismal records I have found for David

David born to David & Mary Evans at Manafon in April-May 1844 , however I have followed the census paper trail for this David and it doesn't tie in with my David.

David born to David Evans & Catherine Jones at Trefeglwys, baptised April 19th 1844. David & Catherine married 1842 at Trefeglwys. I can't seem to find this family in 1851. David Sr.'s occupation was a Labourer. Residence - Parc y Rosin.

Census

1851 - Mary Evans, Lodger, Mar, 36, Laundress, born Trefeglwys (Residing at Llawryglyn, Trefeg)
          David Evans, Lodger, 7, born Trefeglwys
          (No father present)

1851 - David Evans, Servant, Mar, 33, Waggoner Ag Lab, born Trefeglwys (Residing at Gwernafon)

1861 - David Evans, Servant, Widr, 42, Ag Servant, born Trefeglwys (residing at Neuaddllwyd)
          David Evans, Servant, Um, 17, Ag Servant, born Trefeglwys

1871 - John Manuel, Head, Widr, 89, Pentioner 79 Foot, born Trefeglwys
          David Evans, Son in Law, Mar, 52, Lead Ore Miner, born Trefeglwys
          Sarah Evans, Daur, Mar, 50, Miners Wife, born Trefeglwys
           John Evans, Grandson, 9, Scholad, born Trefeglwys

(David Evans & Sarah Manuel married 20th April 1861. David's residence is given as Neuaddllwyd which ties with the 1861 census but he is listed as a bachelor, not a widower. His father is listed as David Evans a Farmer).

Can anyone help me locate/solve -

The baptismal record for David in 1843/44 to David & Mary Evans. Failing that - was my David born to David & Catherine, but then ... who was Mary who David was with in 1851?

David Evans married Catherine Jones 10th May 1842 at Trefeglwys. David's occupation - Farmer. Davids father - David Evans a Farmer. Witnesses - John Jones & David Tilsley.

David Evans married Sarah Manuel 20th April 1861 at Trefeglwys. David's occupation - Farm Labouer. David's father - David Evans a Farmer. Witnesses - Joh Manuel & D. Tilsley.

ADDITION - David Evans married Mary Breese (formerly Humphreys) on 21st December 1850. David was a widower & Mary was a widow. David's residence - Gwernafon/Mary's - Llawrglyn which ties in with the 1851 census. David's father listed as David Evans a Labourer. Witnesses - Andrew Humphreys & David Tilsley.

I have also noticed a David Tilsley on another unrelated marriage in Trefeglwys around this time - was it someones job to witness weddings?

I have been trying to work on this brick wall for some time, so any help I would appreciate hugely.

Thanks,

Keelan

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of David Evans born 1844 Trefeglwys
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 July 20 16:23 BST (UK) »
if there's one man witnessing many marriages, it's probably the parish clerk. I have come across the sexton witnessing marriages and also the sexton's wife.

Possible burial 27 Dec 1859 in Trefeglwys for Mary Evans age 47 address Llawyryglyn

Registry office in Machynlleth
https://en.powys.gov.uk/article/2518/Machynlleth-Registry-Office

Do you have a baptism for John born 1861/2?
It could be that the family was non-conformist and there is no parish baptism to be found. Marriages in the parish church do not necessarily mean the couple were church goers. At that time, registrars had to attend any marriages in non-conformist places of worship with the register in hand, so marriage in the parish church could be an easier option.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 July 20 18:04 BST (UK) »
It could also be that he was illegitimate and the father's name on the marriage certificate was "invented" for the sake of respectability.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 July 20 21:21 BST (UK) »
if there's one man witnessing many marriages, it's probably the parish clerk. I have come across the sexton witnessing marriages and also the sexton's wife.

Possible burial 27 Dec 1859 in Trefeglwys for Mary Evans age 47 address Llawyryglyn

Registry office in Machynlleth
https://en.powys.gov.uk/article/2518/Machynlleth-Registry-Office

Do you have a baptism for John born 1861/2?
It could be that the family was non-conformist and there is no parish baptism to be found. Marriages in the parish church do not necessarily mean the couple were church goers. At that time, registrars had to attend any marriages in non-conformist places of worship with the register in hand, so marriage in the parish church could be an easier option.

Thanks for that, definitely sounds like it could be a match. Am struggling to find a death for a Catherine Evans in Trefeglwys between 1844 & 1850 to make David a Widower by the time of his marriage to Mary Breese in 1850.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 July 20 12:53 BST (UK) »
Indeed, no death reg for a Catherine Evans of likely age in the county. There are a couple who are about 10 years older than David, but not in the Newtown registration district. One age 48 Feb 1851 in Llanwddyn of Brynbedwog, one age 40 buried in Welshpool July 1848 of Llanerchydd.

Wonder if David & Catherine emigrated?

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 July 20 15:28 BST (UK) »
If David & Catherine emigrated, their son (if he hadn't died in infancy) would have gone with them I would imagine. But I just can't find another birth for a David Evans in Trefeglwys to a David Evans apart from the Davd & Catherine couple.

And the 1851 census & 1850 marriage record for David & Mary fit in with each other in terms of location & occupation. So David was a widower, I will see if I can find another marriage for David in Trefeglwys/surrounding area prior to 1850.