Author Topic: Furmston family of Oswestry  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Furmston family of Oswestry
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 July 20 14:32 BST (UK) »
There is a will for an Edward Furmston "the Elder of Lee Bridges " died 15 Mar 1829 - probate 1830  which is worth looking at.

He refers to his daughters Sarah, Elizabeth and Maria and sons Edward and Samuel. He also refers to his present wife Elizabeth. There is a marriage by licence of Edward Furmston to Elizabeth Evans 17 Jan 1815.

Also note that there is a burial for Margaret Furmston Jan 14 1814 Ellesmere Age 44 Abode Lee. ( Surname has been transcribed as Funnstone).

Perhaps Margaret died in childbirth or soon afterwards as there is a baptism 1 Jan 1814 in Ellesmere

Samuel Furmstone parents Edward and Margaret Abode Lee.

There is no reference to Thomas Furmston in Edward Furmston's will unfortunately. This does not preclude Edward being his father - just makes it more diffricult to prove.

There is also a will for an Edward Furmston of Ellesmere PC Canterbury proved  in 1849. He was I think the son of another Edward ( and Anne) - baptism suggests his father was a grocer.

As was said at the outset rarer surnames do not always make life easier, particularly one like this with a number of variations in transcription.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 July 20 15:13 BST (UK) »
There is also a will for an Edward Furmston of Ellesmere PC Canterbury proved  in 1849. He was I think the son of another Edward ( and Anne) - baptism suggests his father was a grocer.

This family would be worth chasing up as well. The Thomas/Elizabeth marriage definitely had an Edward Furmston as a witness.

I didn't see any other Thomas's bpt around the correct year (48 on the 1851, 40 +/-5 on the 1841). Maybe I missed it as I was multitasking this morning!

Gadget

PS - I'm not sure that this family of Furmston's were connected to my friend but I recall that her father's line were from Shopshire.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline HadynF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 July 20 19:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who replied, they give me a lines to follow.

I am related to the Thomas Furmston who went to Mold and married Mary Breese.

Gadget,
Thanks for all the info. If know about the Thomas Furmston baptism in 1830 Oswestry, but I have not seen an image although I tried on Ancestry. You mentioned more details, so I assume you have. Could you get a scan or something please.

I hope that I may eventually be related to a Samuel Furmston who appears on a list of contributors to Myddle Church in the 1600's.

Regards,
Chris

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 July 20 20:03 BST (UK) »
If you can PM (private message)  me an e-mail, I can send you what I have. To do this, click on the little scroll beneath my avatar. 

If you don't see one, you'll have to make another post (it's 2 or 3 posts before you're allowed to send private messages). Just reply here with a will do or whatever  ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***