Author Topic: Captain Henry Theodore Simon, death at sea aboard a boat  (Read 1114 times)

Offline gloucester girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Captain Henry Theodore Simon, death at sea aboard a boat
« on: Friday 03 July 20 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hoping that someone can shed light on this.  Born around 1811, and sailed with the French Merchant Marine , l'Actif was wrecked 1836, but no lives lost of Coringa.  where did my Captain go next.  He turns up on Penang 1839/40, marries Juliet Sophia Rodyk.  He Captains a few more vessels, then goes to work for his wife's uncle Alexander Rodyk at a Sugar Plantation on Province Wellesley.  After Juliet dies in 1851 my Captain goes to Bombay and back to sea,,,, I think he may also have used his plantation skills .. But cannot find his death.  by the time his daughter (my gt grandma) was married he was recorded as deceased... dont know where or when.   we have a stash of letters, and it would be so good to tie up the loose ends.  I have the names of his children  have traced the older and younger boy, but the middle one has escaped me.  Alexander Simon born 1848 in Penang
Please contact if anything should ring bells or if you  can point me in the right direction.  Thank you.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Henry Theodore Simon, death at sea aboard a boat
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 July 20 16:17 BST (UK) »
Is this your gt grandma?

Southern Reporter, & Cork Commercial Courier, 28 Jan 1863
Marriages
On the 22nd inst, at the Unitarian Church, Hackney, by the Rev R B Aspland, Charles Griswold, Esq, of New York, late United States Consul, Manilla to Isabella Alexandrina, daughter of the late Henry Theodore Simon, Esq, of Penang, and adopted daughter of Edward Gassett, Esq, of Boston U.S.

Offline gloucester girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 July 20 16:25 BST (UK) »
That was quick....  and yes  it is.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 July 20 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
Could this be him mentioned as dying 13th June 1854, if you register you can get 3 pages free or alternatively if you have a sub the piece is available on Findmypast.
https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?basicsearch=%22captain%20simon%22&phrasesearch=captain%20simon&retrievecountrycounts=false&newspapertitle=bombay%20gazette&sortorder=score

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 July 20 19:45 BST (UK) »
Pretty sure it is him, it mentions Merchant Sea Service, coffee  plantation, Penang and his two orphan sons. He died from Jungle Fever.

Cathy

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 July 20 19:58 BST (UK) »
British India Births and Baptisms, Bengal.
Alexander Simon
B April 3rd 1848
Bap  July 12th 1848
Parents Henry Theodore and Juliet Sophia Simon
Occ father...Superintendent Mr A Rodyks Sugar Plantation  abode PW Island (Prince of Wales?)
 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FG3Q-XY6

Cathy

Offline gloucester girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 July 20 21:39 BST (UK) »
Cathy,   Thank you so much... What a wonderful discovery.  we have been so sure for so long that there must have been  something somewhere.... and you have found it.  those poor boys  aged 6 and 8, Im now going to have to get busy chasing up the other leads in the article

the younger of the two boys is Alexander, and when his father died  he was 6...he  may not have known how his name was spelt.  so the Alexander Simoen (and various other spellings) I found in Tavoy may be him....

Offline gloucester girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Henry Theodore Simon, death of wife Juliet Sophia Simon
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 16:24 BST (UK) »
 A huge Thank you  for help received so far...

Another big ask. 
Juliet Sophia Rodyk married my Captain Henry Theodore Simon in 1841, they had children, including my Gt grandma Isabelle.
They lived in Penang and also on a sugar plantation/estate  (Krean) in Province Wellesley from about 1846..  Juliet died in November 1851, Henry was devastated, he had 4 children under 7,  it was a very hard time for him.  but though I have seen her "Find a grave" I have not yet found a notice or obituary, how can one access the Penang papers of the day?
Its quite a story we have yet to tell.  Henry went to Bombay in 1852 takeing the 2 middle childre with him.  left the youngest with his sister in law, and the oldest my gt Grandma was sent to Boston, as the adopted daughter of Edward Gassett of Boston Mass.
Any suggestrins gratefully received

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 16:35 BST (UK) »
Singapore's National Library Board has digitised local newspapers for the region going back to the 1820's.  There are many mentions of the Rodyk family from 1829 on.

https://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk