Author Topic: Help! Very technical question – for me anyway!  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Musicman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help! Very technical question – for me anyway!
« on: Friday 03 July 20 16:16 BST (UK) »
I’ve noticed in the last few days that, online, I can click on something I’m interested in – e.g. need to replace my Sim card with a PAYG deal.  Looked on line and click on a site (Vodaphone).  The area within Google’s frame goes black and nothing else happens.  I look in the area above the ‘window’ and I see: ‘ v1' ( 1 x 1 ).  I click on that (I think) and get the address:

https://3695.xg4ken.com/trk/v1

But I cannot get to the site!  Any advice/comments gratefully received.

Thanks
John

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Very technical question – for me anyway!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 July 20 16:27 BST (UK) »
It is Vodafone and the official site is http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pob/

Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Musicman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 July 20 08:36 BST (UK) »
It is Vodafone and the official site is http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pob/

Stan

‎Apologies for not replying sooner!  I think I accidentally 'muddied the waters' with my question - sorry.  The main difficulty I was having was, occasionally when searching for info, I occasionally got  ‘v1 ( 1 x 1 )' but nothing else was shown.  When posting, I included the Vodaphone link - which wasn't the problem
That 'V1' message + black screen' had appeared previously - which I couldn't understand.  Fortunately, it hasn't appeared since!

John

Offline olives

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 February 24 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Good evening

I have a new technical question to ask please.  Hope I’m posting in the right place?

I’m trying to restore an old iPad back to factory settings.  I have done this but:

1). When I try to restart the iPad for the first time, when I go onto setting up the iPad, it shows my own Wi Fi network setting among 2 or 3 others (I guess neighbours).  When anyone else gets this iPad, am I right in assuming they can’t possibly access my network without knowing my password?

2) despite erasing all data from the iPad, when I plug it into the PC, it shows about 2GB of internal storage still on the iPad.  Can I erase this in some way?

Thank you for reading this.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 February 24 19:28 GMT (UK) »

1). When I try to restart the iPad for the first time, when I go onto setting up the iPad, it shows my own Wi Fi network setting among 2 or 3 others (I guess neighbours).  When anyone else gets this iPad, am I right in assuming they can’t possibly access my network without knowing my password?

Correct (provided you haven't connected to the network since you did the factory reset)
2) despite erasing all data from the iPad, when I plug it into the PC, it shows about 2GB of internal storage still on the iPad.  Can I erase this in some way?

I'm assuming that you mean there is 2Gb of memory still being used - the vast majority of this will be the Operating system and the Apple standard Apps. Although it is possible that some data for other individual Apps may have been saved depending upon the choices you made when doing the factory reset. If uncertain do another reset it won't harm the ipad.

Offline olives

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 February 24 19:42 GMT (UK) »
I actually did do it twice in the end, but the internal memory is still showing the same.  (Although I did read on google that erasing all data does not including the internal storage)

I’m not quite so bothered about that but more about my Wi Fi network code still showing in the Wi Fi settings.  I just want to be sure that no one can “hack” into anything..

Offline jnomad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 February 24 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Does your network show with a padlock icon? If so, other people can’t join it without knowing your password.

Offline olives

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 March 24 09:16 GMT (UK) »
I’ll check that out later, thanks.

Just guess I’m a bid pedantic, but you can never be too sure. And there’s so many ‘clever’ crooks around…..

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 March 24 09:23 GMT (UK) »
When you go to settings>wifi you will be presented with a list under the heading “my networks” of all the wifi signals your iPad is receiving. This will usually include your neighbours and, if you take the iPad somewhere else, you’ll get a different list (without your wifi ‘cos it’ll be too far away).

If the iPad still “knows” your sign-in details, it will automatically log on to your wifi and it’s name will appear at the top of the screen immediately under the wifi on/off switch.

The name of the network you’re connected to will also appear beneath the “Airplane mode” button as and when it’s connected.