Author Topic: Looking for Burke and Scott families in Glasgow 1861  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maryhill RD 1859
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 July 20 16:09 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you are aware that there are various anomalies with Scottish research.   For instance, an illegitimate child can have her fathers surname even if her parents never married.   I think this is the situation here.

First, I think the Margaret Burk bc.1825 Glasgow - unmarried - shown as a lodger with Jessie and her husband in 1871 is in fact Jessie's mother thus confirming that Margaret Burk was never married to Jessie's father Robert Scott.    Indeed, I think that Jessie was probably Margaret's only child.

We 'know' that Margaret Burk/e was Jessie's mother, that Peter Burk bc.1817 was her uncle, and that when Jessie married the 2 witnesses were a William Burk and Ellen Burk (I believe these were an uncle/aunt).

1841 Census - Barony, Glasgow

William Burk  50      Cotton Spinner             b. Ireland
Margaret Burk 40                                       b. Lanarkshire
Peter Burk 24           Cotton Spinner                ditto
Sarah Burk 20           Cotton Piecer                  ditto
Margaret Burk 24           ditto                          ditto
Ellin Burk  8                                                    ditto
William Burk 4                                                 ditto

1851 - 200 Main Street, Glasgow

Margaret Burk     50  widow                          born Glasgow
Peter Burk 33      Cotton Spinners Piecer            ditto
Margaret Burk 28 (?)            ditto                     ditto
Ellen Burk 17                        ditto                     ditto
William Burk 15        Carter                               ditto

1861 cannot find any of the family anywhere.

1871:

Peter and his mother Margaret together at 181 Main Street, dau. Margaret with now married daughter Jessie - cannot find Ellen and William.

So, if Peter Burk is Jessie's uncle, his sister Margaret is Jessie's mother and, from census shown above, she was still unmarried in 1871(last sighting with Jessie).

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline luvtotravel

• RootsChat Member
  • A Scot in Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 July 20 19:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annette.  I do have copies of those records.  There are a couple of valuation records for a Margaret Burke in 1875 but not sure they would be of any assistance.  I would like to find death records for the other siblings because I am finding that searching around my target person sometimes provides a clue.  I have two questions not sure if they need a separate post....is there anyway to generate a list of all residents at a specific address in the Scottish Census and secondly, on SP OPR birth records children of a couple may be numbered 1,2,4,5,6, 8, 10, so would 3, 7 and 9 be deceased?  Thanks again.

BARRIE - Rutherglen     BENNETT - Wigtown, Glasgow
BURKE  - Lanarkshire, Ireland   CAMERON - Renfrew
CURLE - Dumfries    FRATER - Lesmahagow 
GENTLES - Sterling    GOLDIE - Paisley
GRAHAM - Roxburgh    HASTIE -Edinburgh
KERR  - Glencorse and Cambuslang
LOWRIE - Rutherglen and Ireland
McDONALD - Edinburgh and Cambuslang
MOYIES - Rutherglen    PICKEN - Kilmarnock
RAEBURN - Kilmarnock, Glasgow    SCOTT - Glasgow

Offline luvtotravel

• RootsChat Member
  • A Scot in Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 July 20 19:06 BST (UK) »
Another question with regard to Jessie, if she used her biological fathers surname, Scott, would her mother ever use the Scott surname?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 July 20 19:28 BST (UK) »
I have two questions not sure if they need a separate post
Please don't start another thread about the same family.

....is there anyway to generate a list of all residents at a specific address in the Scottish Census
I don't think so, except in 1881 if you happen to have a set of the LDS CD-ROM transcriptions. In any other year the only way would be to look at the pages before and after one you have already found listing that address.

On FreeCEN you can do that by going to 'next household' and 'previous household', but not all years are as yet covered in FreeCEN. https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

and secondly, on SP OPR birth records children of a couple may be numbered 1,2,4,5,6, 8, 10, so would 3, 7 and 9 be deceased?  Thanks again.
They might be, but not necessarily. It could just be that the parents omitted to have the missing ones' baptisms written in the register, or the clerk forgot.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 July 20 19:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annette.  I do have copies of those records.  There are a couple of valuation records for a Margaret Burke in 1875 but not sure they would be of any assistance.  I would like to find death records for the other siblings because I am finding that searching around my target person sometimes provides a clue.  I have two questions not sure if they need a separate post....is there anyway to generate a list of all residents at a specific address in the Scottish Census and secondly, on SP OPR birth records children of a couple may be numbered 1,2,4,5,6, 8, 10, so would 3, 7 and 9 be deceased?  Thanks again.

You can generate a list of all residents at a specific address on Ancestry's transcriptions of Scottish census - tried on FindMyPast too but can only get the entries for the whole road and not isolate by number.

As regards whether Jessie's mother would ever use the surname Scott - bit of a tricky one this.   Since in this instance I think Jessie was the only child I would say not.  If, however, they'd been a number of children all fathered by the same man it's quite possible that if all the children had their fathers surname that the mother may have used that name too.   It's somewhat of a 'grey' area, some did, some didn't (as I found out on one of my own family lines).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline luvtotravel

• RootsChat Member
  • A Scot in Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 July 20 21:28 BST (UK) »
On Ancestry I was able to generate a list of residents at 17 and 37 Thistle Street, the addresses on Jessie and Alexanders Marriage Record.  Only Jessie, Alexander and Margaret Burk turned up, I was hoping for other family might be closeby.  On a positive note, I did learn how to generate a list of residents!

Offline luvtotravel

• RootsChat Member
  • A Scot in Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Burke and Scott families in Glasgow 1861
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 23:54 BST (UK) »
Carrying on with my search for this family, I purchased the 1851 census on SP to confirm details.  Jessies mother Margaret Burk was 14 in 1841 and 28 in 1851 Census on Ancestry but on the SP copy there is a broad dark line through her age, looks more like a 0 than an 8.  I am attaching a copy for guesses.

Annette has listed the family on the 1841 and 1851 Census in a previous post.  Margaret (jessies grandmother) is a widow and Sarah not on 1851 Census.  I did find a Glasgow OPR for a marriage Sarah Burke and William Connley 11/6/1845 (Warrant Not Delivered) and another record for the same groom 30/1/1848, so am thinking they called it off.  There is a death record for a William Burke Dalbeth Cemetery Glasgow but no other info.

Jessie was born in 1850, but she was not on the 1851 Census even though her mother Margaret was on the Census.  I have looked through the entire Burk, Burke, Birk, Boark listings in 1861 Scotland but cannot find this family anywhere.  Most of them resurfaced in 1871 Census.  The deceased father William was the only one born in Ireland, all the rest in Glasgow.  I did find a Sarah Burke marriage in 1848 Manchester with William Burke father but a subsequent Census said birthplace England.  Where were they in 1861? Any suggestions on other records to search?

Also Jessie's father, Robert Scott, his occupation in 1870 "unredeemed pledge dealer"...a buyer and seller of debts...or would that be like a loan shark? Just wondering if I should be looking for a Robert Scott with an unusual occupation?

Thank you to whoever takes the time to read this post!