Poll

Will you be visiting the newly opened Pubs and Restuarants this Weekend?

Not on your Aunt Nelly!
39 (68.4%)
Here I come! Make mine a pint!
4 (7%)
Perhaps next week.... Or the week after.
14 (24.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: Monday 13 July 20 00:32 BST (UK)

Author Topic: Going Down The Pub?  (Read 5866 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Going Down The Pub?
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 22:43 BST (UK) »
Go for it Roobarb

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 07 August 20 00:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who took part in the poll. Looks like Rootschatters pretty much are in step with customers at my workplace. Very cautious at first then numbers picking up as the weeks have passed. There was a bit of a dip last weekend which worried everyone a little but it became obvious on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday that folks were hanging on for the 'Eat Out To Help Out' meal deal. (healthy options available  ;D)

In the first week of opening it was apparent that most of those visiting us were from occupations that had been working throughout the lockdown period: Delivery drivers; Supermarket workers; NHS and Emergency services; Vets; Cleaners; Refuse collectors and others. As time has gone on we have seen more and more people venturing out for their first experience of some sort of normal. Several have been back more than once since.

As the number of tables we have is quite reduced we found ourselves fully booked on Monday and Tuesday evening and almost all day on Wednesday. All of the 'help yourself' elements are now being manned by staff and with kitchen team working in zones to keep distanced everything takes much longer and it is harder work to serve less people.

It was surprising to see how many were making their first restaurant visit on the meal deal days. Thinking back to how apprehensive and nervous I was towards the end of my lockdown time I would have rather paid full price in a nearly empty venue than save a few quid and risk being in a crowded environment.

It looks like the weeks in August will be topsy turvey with Monday to Wednesday being the busier 'weekend' days and Thursday to Sunday being quieter. Our manager is re-jigging the rotas to fit this new pattern so labour matches trade. Housekeeping jobs are on the move to different days.

I hope anyone going out to eat has a really good safe time. It really does make you feel like you're getting some life back.

Best wishes, Tony.

Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 07 August 20 13:46 BST (UK) »
I'd love to go out for something to eat, it's my daughter's birthday next week.  However I am still meeting so many people deliberately not following the advice (and boasting about it) required to make going out safer.  Although I do everything I can, I feel it takes everyone doing their bit to make it as safe as possible.  This makes going out so stressful to the point it's not remotely enjoyable.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 07 August 20 21:00 BST (UK) »
Having said it's not for me, a friend has asked if I would like to go for lunch, she knows I wouldn't want to go indoors but I might like to give it a try outdoors.

We have been twice since the Pub restrictions ended, sitting outside in the Pub garden. I think most people get the distancing round here.

On the two for £10 with a small soft drink and 50% off, it can mean eating out at our local for about £3 each for a single course (Mon to Wed).

I had their Cottage Pie, with 3 fresh veg on the plate (homemade / cooked on the premises) and garlic bread  :P  :P for a fiver. I had to buy my pint separately.

Take your sun hat and sun lotion Roobarb and enjoy  :)  :D

We only have one course as they are generous and like to send our plates back empty  :D

A UK magazine said 100s of thousands of tons of UK food waste from homes and establishments adds a high proportion to our UK Greenhouse gas emissions.

Take care all, Mark

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 07 August 20 21:43 BST (UK) »
It was arranged for today and I'd psyched myself up to it but unfortunately my friend had to cancel  :'(
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 07 August 20 22:46 BST (UK) »
Oh no Roobarb so sorry to hear that... hope you can rearrange soon...

We've not been out to eat and don't really have any intention to for now... been to friends locally in the village for drinks and bbq's... all got big gardens so not to stressful.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 08 August 20 17:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Caroline.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 09 August 20 14:45 BST (UK) »
We went on 22 July for my husband's birthday.  There were people sitting outside but as it was 7pm (and not as hot as this weekend) we decided to sit indoors.  The tables were well spread out but by around 7.30pm nearly every table was occupied.  The staff were not wearing masks or gloves but somehow managed to put our meal on the table while standing away from us.  Neither of us has been ill and we would be quite happy to go again.

This is the info on their website:

Our tables have been moved to ensure the appropriate social distancing is in place between guests, unfortunately, this does mean we are not able to move our tables around to accommodate bigger groups.
We have put new signage and floor stickers in every restaurant to remind everyone about social distancing
We have put ‘one-way systems’ in place where we can, and there are clearly marked waiting areas for those waiting to take their food away
Hand sanitiser is freely available in all restaurants for all our customers

Masks:
Face coverings are available for our team members if they want to wear them, UK government guidance only advises face masks for those in medical environments.  Social distancing, rigorous cleaning regimes and increased handwashing are far more effective in reducing the spread of coronavirus.

Gloves:
The science tells us that hand washing and rigorous sanitation is much more effective than wearing gloves.  Hand washing with warm water and soap breaks down the protective fatty layer of the virus and destroys it. Our teams also have constant access to hand sanitiser.

As there were only 2 cases of Covid in my area of 566 sq.metres in the last week, everyone around here feels pretty safe.