Poll

Will you be visiting the newly opened Pubs and Restuarants this Weekend?

Not on your Aunt Nelly!
39 (68.4%)
Here I come! Make mine a pint!
4 (7%)
Perhaps next week.... Or the week after.
14 (24.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: Monday 13 July 20 00:32 BST (UK)

Author Topic: Going Down The Pub?  (Read 5877 times)

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Going Down The Pub?
« on: Saturday 04 July 20 00:32 BST (UK) »
Just a few hours now until Pubs and Restaurants in England can open. Will it be party time or will folks stay away in droves?

I've got to go. I work as a barman for one of the popular chain Pub/Restaurant brands. If the business fails then, at 55 years old, I think I will struggle to find alternative employment.

Our pub is a fifteen minute drive from Leicester......

Furloughed since March I have been very cautious. No non-essential shops. No public transport. Daily walk or cycle ride. One visit to a friend's garden. Couple of distanced chats in the street. That's it.

We had a staff meeting today and a look at how things will work in this very different world we now find ourselves in. It has all been thought out very carefully. A greatly reduced number of tables. Only 'at table' service will be available. Hand sanitizing points everywhere. Total numbers in the building will be controlled by a distanced queuing system in the car park. Contact details will be taken before seating and anyone from the locked down post codes turned away. All the self service elements such as the drinks machine, salad bar and the toaster at breakfast are now being carried out by staff members. Front of house staff can venture no further into the kitchen than the dish washer stacking point. Kitchen staff are separated into zones. We all looked decidedly apprehensive. It's going to be hard to make things fun.

Our manager has only been in post since January and really is putting her all into the job and has already earned my loyalty and respect and I know I can't hide away for ever but I know I won't bounce in tomorrow with my former confidence and eagerness. Perhaps I will feel better with the first day under my belt.

Wish me luck!  Tony.

Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.

Offline magnacarta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Going Down The Pub?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 July 20 00:37 BST (UK) »
All the best! Hope everyone behaves themselves!

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 July 20 00:47 BST (UK) »
All the best! Hope everyone behaves themselves!

Thanks Magnacarta.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 July 20 01:23 BST (UK) »
Contact details will be taken before seating and anyone from the locked down post codes turned away.

Good luck Tony, I hope it goes well. It does sound like a lot of effort has gone into keeping people safe, and it sounds a lot more organised than Tesco, where this evening it was all a bit of a free for all.

Out of interest, are you going to be asking for some kind of proof for the contact details?  On another forum I visit there are many people claiming they will just give false details ('Dominic Cummings' will be having a very busy evening!) - if that is going to be possible it seems to be a very big flaw in the plan.

Let us know how it goes.

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 July 20 08:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nick.

No proof of address is being insisted upon. It is a potential flaw in the system but as one of the staff said our guests will be showing a huge amount of trust in us to keep them and their families safe, so in return we will be showing some faith in them.

My best hope is that it will be mainly regular known faces coming through the door.

If "Dominic Cummings" falls ill then I suppose "Mickey Mouse", "Lord Lucan" and "Shergar" will have to get ready for two weeks in self isolation!!

Here goes!  Tony.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 July 20 08:34 BST (UK) »
We're way ahead of you guys in the UK! ;D

Our pubs opened 2 weeks ago - had another evening at my local last night.

No social distancing; no addresses needed; no restrictions.

If any of you are venturing out tonight - enjoy! :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 July 20 08:49 BST (UK) »
It's going to be hard to make things fun.

I think this is the main reason people are not going out so much - at least where I live.  There is no fun when it's all 'contact details, restrictions, sanitizer, arrows on the floor, keep 1m/2m apart, wear a mask' etc.  I would rather stay at home where I can go where I want to, eat what I want, drink what I want, where I want.  Nobody telling me to keep to the one way system, no social distancing.  The joy has been taken out of all the simple pleasures we used to have in life.  I'll wait for a while until things look more normal.

In the meantime - Good luck Tony.  I hope everyone stays safe.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 July 20 09:00 BST (UK) »
My wife, a sister and me took my mother out for Chinese dinner on her birthday 6th June, booking is/was required.
At most there were 10 people eating at tables, no names or addresses needed, unless my sister gave them the details when she booked,
We are in QLD, Australia.

Mick
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 July 20 12:06 BST (UK) »
Wish me luck!  Tony.

Good Luck and Safety to you, Tony! 

It is like living on a knife edge. On the one hand you need the money, on the other, you just don't know what is coming through that door ... 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia