Poll

Will you be visiting the newly opened Pubs and Restuarants this Weekend?

Not on your Aunt Nelly!
39 (68.4%)
Here I come! Make mine a pint!
4 (7%)
Perhaps next week.... Or the week after.
14 (24.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: Monday 13 July 20 00:32 BST (UK)

Author Topic: Going Down The Pub?  (Read 5842 times)

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Going Down The Pub?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 July 20 12:17 BST (UK) »
I walked past two barber shops this morning and they both had queues ouside with no social distancing going on, one of them was even full inside with people sat side by side waiting for their haircut.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 July 20 12:49 BST (UK) »
My Wife tells me the Manager of one of our town pubs has made it clear on social media that anyone with a Leicester address will be refused entry and people will be asked for formal photo I.D.

We all need everyone to be respectful of the Licensees, fellow Drinkers, members of the Public, to follow instructions, be sensible, courteous and take the matter very seriously that the Virus is still amongst the general population.

It is a shame it has been raining here and cool this morning, especially where Pubs have a garden.

I have been a past campaigner researching the history and one of two Speakers at Council Planning Meetings over a decade ago to save our viable local previously known as The Bush Inn (18th Century) with a Garden and Bowling Green from demolition / development.

I really really want to go, just to show my face and leave after a pint, but not sure yet as I have an underlying health condition and waiting for scan results.

Mark

Stratford upon Avon have fenced off one side of some streets to allow for Queuing and leave pavements clear for passing pedestrians, or vice versa.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 July 20 13:26 BST (UK) »
I've just been looking at our local newspaper's website and there seem to be more men visiting the barbers than the pub.  Maybe Geordies like to look good before they drink  ;D

Looked again and more pics gone up - the Black Garter seems popular
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 July 20 14:35 BST (UK) »
In Wales, we're still under restrictions until Monday, and only allowed to travel a nominal 5 miles from home, except for essentials.  For the first time since February, daughter and I went to Hay-on-Wye this morning just to get a feel of how social distancing was going, and to check  whether it would be safe to shop there. 

Now, as we are under restrictions in Wales, that means that people should not be coming over the border from England.  But what do we find, but groups of English people, making no attempt to socially distance, pushing people off pavements, forcing us out into the road to avoid them and wondering why no pubs were open.  They were queuing up outside shops for drinks and food without any attempt at distancing; they were shouting loudly about where they had come from and how far they had travelled.  Add to this a lot of long-distance cyclists who were zooming up and down on roads and pavements, not caring how close they went to pedestrians, and the whole thing was a miserable experience.  I felt really sorry for the people who were working in the shops, since these visitors clearly did not know how to behave. 

When we got back to the car, despite having avoided close contact with these people, we both felt dirty.  And I feel cross because they should not have been there, and they are abusing Welsh hospitality by behaving in such a crass manner.  We won't be trying that again in a hurry.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 July 20 14:58 BST (UK) »
"And I feel cross because they should not have been there"

As Hay on Wye is on the Welsh/English border, I would think the visitors had as much right as you to be there (no offense intended  :) )

It does not excuse the disgusting behaviour which you describe, but they are presumably allowed to cross the border, then have to abide by Welsh rules, i.e. not travel more than 5 miles.
I may be wrong on this, willing to be corrected. :)

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 July 20 15:07 BST (UK) »
In Wales, we're still under restrictions until Monday, and only allowed to travel a nominal 5 miles from home, except for essentials.  For the first time since February, daughter and I went to Hay-on-Wye this morning just to get a feel of how social distancing was going, and to check  whether it would be safe to shop there.

I think I'd have waited until Monday to make such a trip.  After all, predictions of lunacy this weekend (and especially today) have been widely reported over the last week (and for longer).

Hence my response to the poll.... not today, but maybe next week or the one after.  :)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 July 20 15:12 BST (UK) »
Had my hair cut & coloured earlier today, I'm off into town now for a bit of shopping, and I hope to pop into a pub for a swift one on the way back.  Cheers everyone  :D
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 July 20 15:20 BST (UK) »
I would imagine the traffic police will be out tonight catching tbe 1 over the 8 brigade, as if they haven't enough to do

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 July 20 16:20 BST (UK) »
It'll be interesting to hear how antonymark got on with his first shift back at work.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk