Poll

Will you be visiting the newly opened Pubs and Restuarants this Weekend?

Not on your Aunt Nelly!
39 (68.4%)
Here I come! Make mine a pint!
4 (7%)
Perhaps next week.... Or the week after.
14 (24.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: Monday 13 July 20 00:32 BST (UK)

Author Topic: Going Down The Pub?  (Read 5863 times)

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Going Down The Pub?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 05 July 20 00:51 BST (UK) »
Really pleased to hear it went so well Tony. Young Mr Grace, there's a blast from the past!  ;D

Thanks Roobarb. Most of today's team much younger than me. I think they decided that Young Mr Grace is just another "weird thing that Tony talks about"!   ;D ;D
Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 05 July 20 01:05 BST (UK) »
There has been laughter too and it's been great to see some familiar faces. I had a lovely long chat with one of our regular couples. They just were so happy that we were back and perhaps some kind of normal could be returning. There might even be fun!

Very glad to hear your day turned out to be what sounds like a very positive experience.  I think the bit I've quoted above is really important to bear in mind - the re-opening of pubs and other 'social' facilities isn't solely about companies making money and "idiots" behaving badly... it is also important that "normal" people are able to restart some form of conventional life.

I think it is essential for people's mental health that this happens, and for those that need it to get some enjoyment out of the activities they have no doubt been missing.  And all the more important because we may experience further periods of 'lockdown' before this disease is beaten back and so people should feel able to recharge a bit before the next time.

You can't get more positive than finishing the day feeling more confident and enthusiastic.  :) 

Hopefully Young Mr Grace and Co will notice this approach and suitably reward it!

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 05 July 20 18:40 BST (UK) »

My local newspaper app showed photos of men having a pint at 9am!

It's five o'clock (PM) somewhere in the world!.
 :)

Well, wouldn't you know it. As from Monday 6th I can now travel more than five miles, by myself, to the middle of nowhere, not see, all being well, another human being all day and then travel home at the end of my day's fishing. But now, due to extremely heavy rain upstream, the river is in flood and will be the colour of melted milk chocolate and not good for fishing. Oh well, it will go down in time, but not quite yet. More rain to come this week!.
Our pubs/cafes/restaurants will only be opening for drinks and meals outside only, but not until 13th July. We don't do pubs for drinks only and go for a meal and a drink. I'm not sure about sitting outside eating because the food is likely to go cold quickly. I think the northern Ireland way is a good idea; there, to sit inside and have a drink, you have to have a meal.
However, self-contained accommodation is able to open on 11th July and we'll be off to our favourite B and B in west Wales on 18th then we'll see how it goes for evening meals/lunch because some of our favourite eating places lack sizeable outside facilities. Still I'm sure we'll manage because some of them are doing take-away food. I hope the weather improves, especially if there's no further change in the rules and we have to eat outdoors.
Nice to hear from Tony that people can act in a civilised manner, as opposed to the experience of Greensleeves.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 05 July 20 20:48 BST (UK) »
Read the news this morning on my local newspaper's app. Police had to break up an illegal rave on the hills. There was also a report with photos of people enjoying themselves on their first visit to the pub. A number of the photos showed groups of friends, obviously not from the same household, with their arms around each other's shoulders. I'm absolutely disgusted at them doing this and at the photographer who has obviously encouraged this kind of behaviour.  >:(
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 06 July 20 08:38 BST (UK) »
I'm happy to report that the calm and civilized feel at my workplace continues. Slightly more guests for breakfast than Saturday but lunchtime and afternoon trade much reduced. For over an hour we staff were the only human beings to be seen. A similar pattern of trade seems to be the case across our brand.

The reporting of events in places like Soho and photographs widely circulating of unruly drunken crowds has probably kept some people away. The report on Radio 4's 'Broadcasting House' in the morning before I left home to start my shift was particularly alarming. I did wonder if the reporters had decided on the story they wanted to report before they set out looking for a party to record or photograph. There didn't seem to be any balancing scenes showing the situation in places like ours. It would be easy to imagine that scenes akin to the last days of Sodom were rife in every Pub and Restaurant throughout the land!

Our regular faces are tentatively heading in. Being quieter it has been lovely to have some long chats. I had wondered a few weeks back whether I would ever feel comfortable around people ever again! From what people said it sounds like the town centre bars were more busy. One man said that there had been a fight in the market place.

With a 3pm finish of my day I was able to buy a pint and sit on the outside patio area enjoying the afternoon sunshine. That's the most normal I've felt in months.

Let's see what Monday brings.

Take care all, Tony.
Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 06 July 20 09:48 BST (UK) »
We had a drive around Bury and Heywood (north of Manchester) at around 8pm on Saturday and everything looked very civilized, including the three Wetherspoons pubs too.

We did see a woman run across the street to give a big hug to somebody else, but human nature to want to hug somebody after not seeing them for months is more difficult to control I'm sure.

There was a police presence from a distance, and overlooked by a statue of their founder Robert Peel.

We went home without going in a pub, but reassured that the people of Bury and Heywood and the staff of these watering holes were doing great.

Trystan

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 05:13 BST (UK) »
Reports that three pubs have had to close already!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53315702

Someone who had a test yesterday got the results back in time for the pubs to close down. Or perhaps they had the test last week, thought they would be negative but decided to go to the pub anyway, instead of self-isolating till the results came back.

One pub told it's customers there was no need to isolate unless they were contacted by track and trace, another one is slowly working through the list of customers, the third one said that staff had been tested and that the pub would reopen after deep cleaning.

There will always be cases, surely venues can't keep closing then opening up again, ad infinitum?

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 08:02 BST (UK) »
The customer who tested positive in Somerset had no symptoms and was one of those people randomly tested according to newspaper report

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/lighthouse-kitchen-carvery-burnham-closes-4300183
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 08:15 BST (UK) »
That's one of the pubs. I think one of the others is reported as being a member of back room staff, who had no contact at all with customers.

So, what are the chances of Covid-19 spreading to other customers? To staff? In the building? Practically nil, if everyone socially distanced.

So the pubs are closed. They open again later this week or perhaps next week, then close again for another case.

This cannot be sustained, surely?
Pubs could not reliably take any bookings, make any plans, customers wouldn't know from one minute to the next what to do.

If there was a confirmed outbreak in multiple staff, or multiple customers, maybe act differently - or could that be too late?

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go