Author Topic: William Robertson married Margaret McKay?  (Read 4596 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: William Robertson married Margaret McKay?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 July 20 09:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information. I don't have William's death certificate - I sent through his son John's death certificate in first post - naming his parents and place of birth as Inverness shire. Being William Robertson and Margaret McKay.  He was born 1831, married in 1851 to Isabella Nobel (Noble) Daviot & Dinlichity and settled in Victoria Australia. First child born 1852 Joseph in Australia. He died 1895 and was aged 64 in Victoria Australia.
Yes, you have already told us all that.

If you want to eliminate the William Robertson in Balblair from your research, you need to go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, buy some credits and use some of them to download and view that death certificate. If it says he was married twice, first to Margaret McKay and then to Margaret Fraser, then you know he is yours. If not, you can dismiss him.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline kwilly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 July 20 10:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for the info. I will check further and take your advice.
Much appreciated

Cheers
Kaz

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 July 20 11:54 BST (UK) »
I just had a look at that 1841 census at Balblair, Moy and Dalarossie, on FreeCEN https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

As well as the Robertson family listed in the transcription ev found, there is a Margaret Fraser, 25, female servant, born Inverness-shire. That looks like too much of a coincidence.

Curiously, I can't find the 1842 marriage on Scotland's People - I wonder where that came from?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kwilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 July 20 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi guys, took your advice and found a death cert for William Robertson - it showed one marriage only to Margaret Fraser.  Found birth cert for child John Robertson - parents William and Margaret (McKay) 3 years difference to what was on his death certificate. I found other siblings but am unsure of the difference in birthplaces? I also couldn't ascertain on Margaret's birth her fathers occupation? Please see attached. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Still can't find a marriage for them - William Robertson and Margaret Mckay on Scotlands People website?
Cheers
Kaz

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 July 20 13:00 BST (UK) »
Found birth cert for child John Robertson - parents William and Margaret (McKay) 3 years difference to what was on his death certificate.
Not a birth certificate but a baptism record. Birth certificates did not exist in Scotland before the start of statutory civil registration in 1855.

A small discrepancy in age between a birth and death is not significant. It just means that the informant didn't know the correct age of the deceased.

I found other siblings but am unsure of the difference in birthplaces?
Not sure what the problem is with this?
John, born 1828, Moy and Dalarossie
Donald, 1829, Alvie
Margaret, 1830, Kingussie and Insh
Angus, 1833, Kingussie and Insh
Mary, 1835, Alvie

These places are all parishes in the eastern part of Inverness-shire. Like many other families, the Robertsons moved around to places where there was work for William.

I also couldn't ascertain on Margaret's birth her fathers occupation? Please see attached.
Did you mean to attach the page with John's birth on it?

Still can't find a marriage for them - William Robertson and Margaret Mckay on Scotlands People website?
If you can't find it there you are not going to find it anywhere else.

There is a possibility that there was a family bible; a small chance that the bible survived; a still smaller chance that it is the hands of someone interested in the content; and an infinitesimally small chance that that person has put the information online somewhere. But in practical terms, if it's not on SP the marriage record, if it ever existed, has not survived.

Offline kwilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 July 20 23:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for clarifying the baptism and the birth places.

Much appreciated

Cheers
Kaz.

Offline mweston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 October 21 01:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian and kwilly, (Forfarian I met you when researching the "Sutherlands").  I have also been researching this exact Robertson family.  There was a son brother to your John, William born as previously stated 1826/1827 to William and Margaret McKay (tried to upload MC but failed) who married Margaret McGregor in 1855 at Moys Dalrossie and emigrated to Australia.  I have been researching with a descendant of William's.  Happy to share what I know   Regards Margaret

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 November 21 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Looked at the death of William Robertson 1875.It only has 1 spouse on it-Margaret Fraser.
Death:
William Robertson
married. spouse:Margaret Fraser
died: 22 Nov 1875.   age 81
father: William Robertson
mother: - - - - - - - -
informant: James Robertson  son