Author Topic: Diary - Saturday 4th July  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Saturday 4th July
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 July 20 14:20 BST (UK) »
Mine was a lazy day I'm afraid so won't bore you with all the details.  A dark cloudy day, no real rain, and consequently no motivation to do anything constructive.   I hadn't realised until the lockdown how much the weather influences my feelings.   When it's nice and bright I feel motivated to do things but if it's dull and dreary outside it seems to seep inside and any 'get up and go' I had vanishes!

Two jigsaws arrived courtesy of GPO so something new to get stuck into.   My neighbours seemed to be in the same frame of mind as myself as all ensconced indoors for the day.

Had fish and chips courtesy of ASDA (chilled) and, as always, really tasty so a bright spot in an otherwise dreary day.   

Take care everyone.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 July 20 14:52 BST (UK) »
Mowsehowse
I agree with you, whoever was in the Gov't would have had the same problems as Boris, I think it took everyone by complete surprise that it took hold so quickly, it did cross my mind at one time about a coalition but I don't know,I  am no political person at all, Boris has his advisors who " advise" to their best I assume so let them get on and sort it out for us.  Louisa Maud

Without wishing to get political, I do hope my post did not suggest that I feel the current power in Westminster is doing the best job keeping England safe from Covid 19.

I believe the Foreign Office MUST have had some inkling about the virus before Christmas, and even if that is not so, we had plenty of warning from Italy and Spain, but we were told we should just take it on the chin.

While I do feel that it is a difficult situation for every Government on the planet, personally, I doubt that England could have had a worse captain to steer our ship, and as for his advisor, (the one who felt it was fine to drive 360 miles during lockdown,) words fail me! 
I suspect our esteemed PM would get better advise from Larry the Cat!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 July 20 20:00 BST (UK) »
Good to catch up on everyone's thoughts!

Mowsehowse- you're right I did feel like battering OH over the head with the board....  love your comments about Boris coukd be advised by Larry the Cat! I was quite insenced when I read on BBC news app that Boris's father was at his pad in Greece.... how did he get there then.... he appeared to be a little the worse for wear when trying to answer questions! One rule for some eh... not that I have any wish to go anywhere at the moment!
I'm sure you're card was beautiful... I'm no great expert just like to keep the boys enthralled if possible!

Ruskie - you are a marvel creating a dinner party even if it was for family... I don't think I could cope with that at the moment so good on you! At least you Aussies, mostly, are more sensible than some if the idiots in U.K. And your government is more decisive than ours!

Pharma - you deserve to have a rest on your annual leave and I'm sure the girls enjoy pizza just as much as your other culinary meals...

Annette - I know just what you mean about the weather... it does have a huge effect on our moods... sun out spring in your step and get on with things... dull dreary never did anything for anyones spirits so I'm with you on that one!
Well here goes with trying to post this with our wonderful internet!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 July 20 20:32 BST (UK) »
Annette, I know exactly what you mean about the weather influencing your feelings. When the nights start drawing in it also has a very big detrimental effect on me, thank goodness this didn't start at the beginning of autumn.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 July 20 22:01 BST (UK) »
I had a lovely day yesterday as my Son, Grandson and their dog came to see me.  Grandson is two almost three and is a real bundle of energy, funny, imaginative and a very good little chatterbox.  My DiL was working all day.

We went for a walk along the River Tyne.  We saw a docked trawler.  Grandson thought this was a pirate ship with pirates hiding somewhere onboard and he was very pleased about this.  We also saw two spaced out (distance-wise) fishermen casting their lines out.  It did cross my mind to try to pass these two off to Grandson as 'pirates' but sadly they both looked so unpiratelike I thought it was too much of a stretch of imagination even for a two year old.

When my son drove me home we saw that a new cycle road has been created al ong the sea front.  Son is very pleased about this as he hopes to have a cycle seat fitted on his bike so he can take my Grandson for bike rides.  We passed my hairdressers which is still closed.  Perhaps she is waiting until Monday to open.  Son told me libraries are now open.  Gosh!  I got a rush of adrenaline when he said that.  I do miss going to the library.  We drove around just to have a look but it is still closed.  There has not been anything on the local websites about any opening and I am not sure how they will go about things safely when they do get back to a bit of normality.  I cannot help missing it though .. the books, the research I did there and the great events they used to put on. 

I agree that we are fortunate this lockdown commenced when there was good weather. I think if it had started in Autumn with bleak weather and dark nights this would have made it so much harder for people to keep their spirits up.

I also agree that you deserve to have a rest PharmaT and no doubt your girls would have been very happy to have pizza.  I don't know why you think serving this might count against you. 

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 July 20 22:10 BST (UK) »
Sounds like you had a lovely day RTL which is excellent, and l'm glad for you. :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 July 20 22:24 BST (UK) »
Good to hear that you had such a great day RTL, what fantastic imaginations little children have. Hope your library is soon open, maybe its services will be limited at first but no doubt will all come in time.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 July 20 22:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for these messages - it was a lovely day.  Grandson is so funny it is lovely to listen to his imagination.  When Grandson overheard me telling my Son that someone has stolen my glass recycling bin caddy he (Grandson) told me a monster in a cave had done it.  He then pretended to ring Spiderman (his hero of the moment) and said in a very dramatic tone "Hello Spiderman a monster has stolen Gwanma's bin!". I asked what spiderman had said and he said that he was going to tie the monster up and get my bin back.  Oh he does make me laugh! ;D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 July 20 22:55 BST (UK) »
How lovely RTL for you to see your son and grandson... they certainly do lift your spirits don't they ....
He sounds a delightful little boy and so full of imagination so refreshing to see..
Im hoping our library will be open next week too as I still have a book from before lockdown and I'm keen to return it... not sure what their opening times will be though...
Hope you're having some well deserved time off to recouperate after all your hard work and with the bus changes you have you endure..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK