Author Topic: Tynemouth & Whitley Bay Books of Remembrance Online  (Read 2377 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tynemouth & Whitley Bay Books of Remembrance Online
« on: Sunday 05 July 20 08:52 BST (UK) »
https://issuu.com/ntcouncilteam/docs/bor_mayjune

http://whitleybay.alwaysloved.xyz/Book/?day=1&month=6

Tynemouth (Preston Cemetery), North Shields (19 May - 30 June) and Whitley Bay Cemetery (April-September - more to be digitised) both now have Remembrance Books online. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Preston & Whitley Bay Cemeteries Books of Remembrance Online
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 July 20 09:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for sharing, your doing some great work for the area.
I'm going to have a good look through what you've set up.

Lisa x

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 July 20 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi RTL

They will be very useful, thanks for the links.

Not nitpicking, but aren't these for crematoria rather than cemeteries?

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tynemouth & Whitley Bay Books of Remembrance Online
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 July 20 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

I can't take credit for this resource as I did not compile the book or put this up online.  I only started a thread telling people about this great resource that is now online.  I think the entries are most beautifully inscribed! What a great job the calligraphers have done over the years! Sorry, if I have confused things.  These resources are fab though and I am sure these will be of great interest to those with ancestors in the area.

Hi Boo,

I think these are the general cemetery entries as I think going off some dates some of the people died before the Crematorium was open.  I do agree this is confusing though and  gives the impression that it could just be for those cremated. 

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Preston & Whitley Bay Books of Remembrance Online
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 July 20 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

Actually you could be right.  Thanks for bringing attention to this. I thought I was looking at some records for the thirties but looking more closely it could be the 70s.  I will amend the title of this thread to take out the word 'cemeteries'  and will check with the staff about this once the office reopens again.  I do now think you may be right though and these will be the Crematorium records perhaps.

It is still a great resource though. :)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 July 20 10:06 BST (UK) »
I am unsure about that first link for Preston. I don't think its Preston in Northumberland, but Preston, Lancashire?

This is the first page/cover

https://www.remembrance-books.com/preston/book-of-remembrance.html

and checking FreeBMD for just a couple of names they died in Preston Registration District?

Great link and a useful resource, but maybe this one is on the wrong board?

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 July 20 10:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, you are right again.  What a kerfuffle.  I am sorry - somehow the wrong link was found.  I have now tried to rectify.  Disappointing that book isn't for North Shields but I now have added a correct link.  Apologies for this. :-\

I will try to get that link onto a correct board.  Will also change title to 'Tynemouth'.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 July 20 10:31 BST (UK) »
Not a problem, I can understand the confusion

I fiddled with the url to see if I could find anything else (nosey as ever)

https://issuu.com/ntcouncilteam/docs

That indicates that images are available so far in two sections (though one of those appears to be duplicated in that folder)
from 8th April to 18th May
from 19th May to 30th June

If we keep an eye on that url we can see if new pages are added.
They seem to be photos taken each day, possibly by whoever turns the pages in the actual book each day to display for visitors? Approx 80 pages per set, so I'd expect that the next lot would be added in about 10 weeks time?

Working on that theory, by April next year the full set should be available :-)

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 July 20 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

I have now sent the original link to Lancashire - lucky them - that book seems a lot easier to view than the Preston Cemetery, North Shields one. 

At least on my Kindle viewing.  This is a bit fiddly and more time consuming to turn pages rather than put in a date.  However, better than nothing.  I am grateful that this has been put up fiddly to access or not.

I will check it out as time goes on to see if more pages are added.  It will be useful to have all months included.  :). It will also be a great resource to find out some dates of birth before the time they were added on Freebmd (post 1969 I think).