Author Topic: Fredolin and Elizabetha Schmeider aboard the Fanny Kirchner from Germany in 1858  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Leisa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Good evening,
I have been researching my family history for over ten years now.  Using Trove, the Church of LDS, Qld State Archives, Qld State Library, Qld and NSW BDM,  Ancestry, visiting the location my ancestors settled at, purchasing birth, death certificates, land titles, wills and books about the Fanny Kirchner that came to Australia in 1858 which the ship's manifest is missing the complete passenger list,  spending time at the local museums and visting cemetery from records that my dad and I did so with the help of local councils and with the help that I am very grateful for on Root's chat,  there is just something that my dad who is the last line in his family in critically ill health at 87 years old that we just can't piece together.  That is how our ancestors came from Sydney, which is evident on Trove that the German settlers were kept in hostels in 1858 from Henry Hamburger who on Trove asked for them to be hired.  From my research there are years missing when they arrived in Sydney to when I can see my great, great, grandfather on the electoral roll in 1870. I have also researched steam shipping records on Trove as well.  My great great grandfather was Fredolin Schmeider.  His wife was Elizabetha.  My great grandfather Carl Frederick Schmeider was born on the Fanny Kirchner.  Trove records confirm this as they record one birth being recorded on the ship.  The Fanny Kirchner from trove confirms my father's story that was passed down that the ship was quarantined in the harbour due to small pox.  The Trove records also confirm this.  I haven't been able to find my great grandfather's birth certificate when he was born on the ship March 1858.  I have been told that because the ship was German, that any births were recorded in Germany.  Sadly, due to the wars, many records have been destroyed.  If there is anyone out there that can help me and my dad, who has only come home from hospital due to aspiration pnemonia discover any answers it would be very much appreciated.  Dad is the last in his line of children to his mother and father.  This means so much to us.  Any response or help will make our hearts sing.  Thank you, Leisa and her dad, Len. xxx

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Can't  help you but I wish your dad well, happy hunting

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Good Morning,  :)

Did the couple have children born in the colonies?  ... younger siblings for Carl? If so,  have you checked those birth certs for details about Carl?  In Qld, Vic and NSW you can often find that the youngest born's birth cert lists the name and then ages of each of the then living older siblings. 

ADD

I have phoned an ancient living rellie, a retired senior officer from NSW bdm,  to check re 1858 births, but I feel sure that while it was compulsory to register births, that the two obvious hassles were 1) did the couple know that (could they read English) and b) did they know that births en route to NSW could be registered up to 18 months after arrival?

Have you sought the ship's
 Logbook  for mention of the birth ... it may include passenger names ... So too the ships surgeons diary.

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi All,
Here are a couple of other threads from Leisa about the SCHMEIDERs

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=774267.msg6275569#msg6275569

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=637009.0

Agreeing with JM here that I have never heard that births on board are registered in the native country of the parents.

The information from JM's relatives will be of great interest as they are an endless fount of knowledge in such matters. ;D

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
From my research there are years missing when they arrived in Sydney to when I can see my great, great, grandfather on the electoral roll in 1870.

I don't know what you mean by that.  There are plenty of references on Trove through the 1860's and a number of children born in Queensland.

To find them travelling to Queensland you would need to go to Queensland archives and see what records they have for coastal vessels arriving.  It would most likely be a government steamer.  If they arrived in March 1858 and their son was born in Queensland on 8 May 1859 then at least it isn't a huge amount of time that you would need to search.

Debra  :)

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi Leisa

Have you looked for a baptism record in NSW?

Essie

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am posting here to help our OP locate this thread today.

I hope her notifications are turned on and she receives the usual notification from RChat about a new post on her thread.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Leisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Can't  help you but I wish your dad well, happy hunting

Louisa Maud

Thank you Louisa x

Offline Leisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am posting here to help our OP locate this thread today.

I hope her notifications are turned on and she receives the usual notification from RChat about a new post on her thread.

JM

Thank you JM x