Author Topic: Assistance with dating Mcdowell photographs and identifying subjects  (Read 409 times)

Offline Jennie Roe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello. I am hoping to date these two photographs, as well as identify the two children. They were in the possession of my grandfather Robert McDowell, who emigrated from Belfast in 1927. Neither photo has any clue to either child's identity.

The photography studio on the back of the sitting boy's photo is: J. Thompson (all that is visible).

The photography studio on the back of the standing child's photo is: R Clements Lyttle (Successor to Hembry) Belfast, Bangor and Londonderry.

Grateful for any advice. Thank you very much.
Jennie

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Assistance with dating Mcdowell photographs and identifying subjects
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 04:19 BST (UK) »
What sweet children! I'm no expert on dating, but I think children's photographs are notoriously difficult to date. The experts on here I'm sure can give some advice, though they usually ask to see the whole photograph, edges included, to help with dating.

A shot in the dark, but there is  a J THOMPSON, photographer advertising for equipment at Dock Square, Warren Point in 1894
(The Freeman's Journal, Friday,  Nov. 16, 1894  and Monday,  Nov. 19, 1894 )

Modified to add:
Also advertisements for H R HEMBRY photographer at Donegall Place in the Belfast News Letter, Tuesday,  Jan. 16, 1894  and Tuesday,  Oct. 27, 1896 . Noting also that he advertises "artistic photographs of children" on Monday,  May 24, 1897  So if  R Clements Lyttle is successor to this Hembry, presumably the photo later than 1897. Not much help I'm afraid.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 July 20 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennie and welcome to Rootschat....They look like they could be the same little boy taken some time apart, the first one I would say could be 1930s and the second one 1920s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Jennie Roe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 July 20 04:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your responses, maddys52 and Treetotal. Do you think they could be the same child? The standing child looks so engaging, whereas the sitting one is very serious. But perhaps he was just having a bad day! I had thought the photo of the sitting child may have been taken in the late 1800s, partly because the child's coat looks so ornate - but that is sheer conjecture on my part.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 July 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
I think it's the same little boy, maybe he is not comfortable being dressed in a "Little Lord Fauntleroy Suit", the seat he is sitting on doesn't look very comfortable either.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU