Author Topic: Robert and William Wear, Workington, Cumberland  (Read 527 times)

Offline DeeDutch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert and William Wear, Workington, Cumberland
« on: Monday 06 July 20 15:43 BST (UK) »
I am researching my GG grandfather William Wear/Weir and his father Robert, both baptized in Workington, William in 1833 and Robert in 1791. William married Elizabeth Dixon from Northumberland and they lived virtually all their married life in Durham. Robert married Mary Marsden. I believe this was his second marriage. His first wife was Eleanor Collingwood, m. 1818 in Workington. Eleanor died in 1828 a few weeks after the birth of a child. The only marriage between Robert Wear and Mary Marsden I can find was at St. Bees in 1826, two years before Eleanor's death. Judging from 1851 census returns, I suspect there were two Robert Wears, both married to a Mary. I believe 'my' Mary was the one born in Moresby, Cumberland. The 1841 census shows Robert and Mary with two Williams, aged 15 and 8, both listed as 'sons'. I believe the eldest William could have been the son of Eleanor. Also, I think he is the William Wear who married Margaret Mullen in 1847 at Wellington, Cumberland. Can anyone help me to solve the puzzle?

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert and William Wear, Workington, Cumberland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 11:08 BST (UK) »
I note the burial of Eleanor in 1828 and the birth of her daughter Hannah in 1827. I also note that Robert and Mary had another Hannah in 1837.

According to the 1851 census they had 3 other daughters later. I cannot find the earlier records for Robert & William?

The 1841 census on FS notes the two Williams but not Robert born 1833, Mary is noted as 25 & Robert senior 55, the younger is 8 which means Mary was 17 in 1833, subject to any rounding down of ages. The older William was 15 therefore may have been born the year Eleanor died.

Given the age difference between Robert and Mary, maybe they were never married?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 12:29 BST (UK) »
1841 Census does not show relationships.

Birth Regs;

WEAR, MARY  ANN mmn MURRAY 
GRO Reference: 1839  J Quarter in COCKERMOUTH  Volume 25  Page 101

WEAR, ISABELLA mmn MURRAY 
GRO Reference: 1841  J Quarter in COCKERMOUTH  Volume 25  Page 106

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 12:43 BST (UK) »
Mary MURRAY
birth: 12 February 1812
christening: 8 March 1812, Moresby, Cumberland
Parents JOHN/MARY
(Familysearch.Org)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 13:15 BST (UK) »
Yes the William who married Margaret 1847 names his Father as Robert. On Census he is born c 1822/23 Workington so that fits.

I cant find a Marriage for second William to Elizabeth Dixon/Dickson to confirm his Fathers name.

As 1841 does not show relatiosnships William c 1833-35 could be a Son of Williams Brother or illeg Son of a Sister. Or even a Cousin.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thank for your PM and I was happy to help.

Possible Marriage;
05 Nov 1808, St Bridget, Moresby
John MURRAY age 25, occp Miner, to Mary HAGGAN age 20
By Lic (FreeREG)

If you look on F/S siblings of Mary 1812 were;
Jeremiah 1809 buried 4 June 1809
John 1810 buried 27 Aug 1810
John 1814***
Lucy 1819 buried 5 Nov 1821

John 1814 is in Durham 1861 Census down as born c 1814 Morcaly, Cumberland

Trish :)