Author Topic: Hartlepool Registars Indexes  (Read 655 times)

Offline heathers

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hartlepool Registars Indexes
« on: Monday 06 July 20 16:28 BST (UK) »
Many years ago I was able to access the Hartlepool Registrars index of Marriages, get a reference number which I was able to cross reference to a list of churches.
Tees Valley indexes has a link to Hartlepool Registrars - but it no longer links to the indexes.

Does anyone know if the Registrars Index still exists for Hartlepool Marriages, and if so where ?

Sue

HORSMAN / HORSEMAN - One name study

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hartlepool Registars Indexes
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 22:46 BST (UK) »
Are they now included in Durham Records Online?  I fear most PRs seem to have been 'bought up' over recent years so are now pay to view.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 07:38 BST (UK) »
Not a lot of help but from Hartlepool Borough Council website:

As we are currently changing our online indexing system Hartlepool's birth, death and marriage indexes are not available online at present. You can request an index check by contacting our office by phone or email, providing as much information as you can.

During the below years some areas of Hartlepool were covered by the Billingham registrar; the records for this time are held at Stockton on Tees Register Office.

Years affected    Record types
 1837 - 1859    All Register Office and non Church of England church marriages
 1953 - 1967    Some birth, death and marriage records

You are able to search Stockton's indexes online:

STOCKTON ON TEES INDEXES

The website gives the phone number and email address.  Also the link to the Stockton Indexes and for a copy cert from Hartlepool.

https://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/info/20002/births_marriages_and_deaths/395/family_history

Offline heathers

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 08:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.  A few marriages are covered by Durham Records Online,  but not the later ones I was looking to identify.
The info from the council web site explains why I cant find the index any more.  I will contact them once the current problems are over and see if they can help. 
Thanks again
HORSMAN / HORSEMAN - One name study