Author Topic: Sarah Jane Minto & George Cruckshanks marriage c1881-1885  (Read 1058 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Jane Minto & George Cruckshanks marriage c1881-1885
« on: Monday 06 July 20 18:56 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a marriage of Sarah Jane Minto & George Cruckshanks probably in Durham between 1881 and 1885. Both names give rise to misspellings and mistranscriptions.

Background information.

In his will of 1885 George Minto (1809-1887) names his daughter Sarah Jane as Sarah Jane Cruckshanks wife of George Cruckshanks, commercial traveller, of Craddock Street Bishop Auckland. As Sarah Jane, unmarried, (born c1860 Haswell, Durham) is at home with her father in 1881 this means the marriage should be between 1881 and 1885. (George is NOT in Craddock Street in 1881).

I cannot find Sarah Jane after 1881 although there is a death of the right age in March quarter 1887 that may be her (Sarah Jane Cruikshank aged 27    S. Shields    10a   390). If that is her it might have been too late to rewrite the will as George her father died on 8 July 1887.

Appreciate any help in finding a marriage. Thank you.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Jane Minto & George Cruckshanks marriage c1881-1885
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 July 20 19:17 BST (UK) »
This marriage for Sarah Jane Minto in 1885, Houghton le Spring could be it. No spouse listed.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2DYW-GDY

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 July 20 19:21 BST (UK) »
Spouse John Hunter

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 July 20 19:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kloumann I had seen that marriage on FreeBMD but as Mabel says the spouse is John Hunter.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 16:25 BST (UK) »
Update

I asked the Durham registrars to do a search to see if they could find the marriage. Unfortunately they drew a blank.

So that is familysearch, FindMyPast, GRO, Ancestry. Freereg and the Durham registrars that have been checked. I also checked Scotlandspeople incase they slipped across the boarder to no avail.

I could not find any records of them in immigration and travel records.

I have a speculative death that I am going to apply for but if that is wrong then they have well and truly vanished  ???

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 July 20 11:04 BST (UK) »
Birth Reg same qtr as Sarahs Death Reg;

CRINKSHANK, ANNIE  BEATRICE mmn MINTO**** 
GRO Reference: 1887  M Quarter in SOUTH SHIELDS  Volume 10A  Page 688
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 July 20 11:14 BST (UK) »
Possible Burial?

Deaths Jun 1895
Cruikshanks Annie S. Shields 10a 403
Age 8

Cant find her 1891 Census though ::)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 July 20 13:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trish they are interesting suggestions.

I had not found that birth before but it looks good as my suspected death for Sarah Jane Cruikshank (another spelling variation)  is 1887 in South Shields as  well. I was wondering whether to get it but finding the two records you have have made my mind up to get it.

Much appreciated

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 July 20 10:02 BST (UK) »
Let us know the outcome of the Cert :)