Author Topic: Diary > Monday 6th July  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 6th July
« on: Monday 06 July 20 22:36 BST (UK) »
Going for a bath shortly so will start today's diary so it's there for everyone to continue. Feel free to skim through mine!

Was trying to read when I went to bed last night but couldn't keep my eyes open. Woke earlyish this morning but didn't rush to get out of bed, didn't seem much point.

It was sunny early on but quite cloudy by the time I went out. As usual on Mondays there weren't a lot of people about. Was trying to persuade myself to walk further down the path in the woods where it's much narrower. At first I chickened out but after doing another circuit of the field I gathered my courage and walked down that way. Luckily I didn't come across anyone, there's very little space to stand aside off the path down there. Didn't stay on it all that long, might try a bit further tomorrow.

Felt better for a walk. Texted a friend to ask if she wanted to go for a walk tonight, no reply at that point but didn't expect anything immediately as she works from home all day. Felt a bit unsettled, did a bit of weeding in the garden but I knew NN was hanging about, that puts me off, then it started raining a bit so came inside. I'd had a quote for my home insurance renewal so went on a comparison site and found an equivalent one eighteen pounds cheaper so changed to that.  It drives me mad having to go through this palaver every year, it wouldn't be so bad if it was just that but along with car insurance, breakdown cover and utilities I get fed up of it. Oh, and savings accounts too, although at the moment I might as well stuff it under the mattress.

Did a bit of housework, a bit of my painting, a bit on Rootschat. Still hadn't heard from my friend, got a text about 6pm, she had been out with her boyfriend, is staying there this week but will arrange for a walk next week.
After tea I phoned my friend in Devon, was good to catch up with her. The first conversation I've had with anyone since Friday. Will have to stop feeling sorry for myself.

Not very interesting day, was going to say let's see what tomorrow brings but actually I think I know. Hope others have been doing something pleasurable.

(Haven't watched Long Lost Family so no spoilers please!  ;) )

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 6th July
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 00:30 BST (UK) »
Well done Roobarb for braving the narrow path and good it was fairly quiet!
Nice to have chats with good friends and sorry you weren't able to meet up with your other friend for a walk... something to look forward to next week.
OH is always chuntering on about having to go through comparison sites to look for better deals... he's even found better deals online with ones were already insured with... drives him bonkers but always that satisfaction when he's been able to get a good deal! I'd rather spend themoney than stuff it under the mattress..😁... interest rates aren't really worth it these days!

Awake quite early this morning waiting for the alarm to go off...
Out before 9am and straight to Waitrose to collect my shopping... packed it in the car myself leaving them the million plastic carrier bags they'd used... think it's going to be my last online shop as it's too traumatic to go through every time...
Then to Lidls... very quiet in there and got bits I needed back home by 10.15... all items in the garage isolating and others either put into containers/bags in fridge/freezer or washed/wiped...
Deserved a coffee after that!
OH had been busy bread making whilst I was out so it'll be late lunch today!
Had several messages from Sky to inform me engineer would ring beforehand...
Having said I'd be finished sewing scrubs today I decided I'd better get the three pairs of trousers done ...
Bread ready for normal sort of time which was great as I'd had an early breakfast... tastes so good with some butter on the crust fresh from the oven! Only time I eat butter on bread!
Got a call from engineer to say he'd be with us in 15 mins...
OH going to deal with it as he's busy trying to finish his jigsaw and I'm upstairs sewing!

🎉🎉🎉🎉its fuxed🎉🎉🎉

Turns out that either a squirrel or bird had chewed/pecked the cable and caused a split in it so everytime the wind caught it it broke the connection!
The post where all wires for surrounding houses is between us and next door in our front gardens which are open plan and there's a large bush growing up and round it with a blooming pigeon nesting in it!
I kept telling them it was mostly affected by the wind! Fortunately enough cable up there so he could fix it... horray...
Finished all Sewing had good hoover up of all threads and tidied up... got scrubs, face coverings and half a dozen small baby blankets I'd knitted together and arranged to meet half way to swap them for the rainbow 🌈🌈 fabric and sone already cut tops & trousers in size 5 XLge 😱😱.
Had quick tuna and salad for dinner and drove out to do swap.
Watched programme called Devon & Cornwall think it's on CH5 every week, and couldnt  believe it when they showed Cocklington.... isn't that where you go Mowsehowse... look such a pretty place... don't know if you watch it or not...
Watched some new series.. Aussie based... can't remember what it's called not sure if it's our sort of thing...
No Ive not watched Long Lost Family either Roobarb but going to... I'll make sure I don't say anything..😷😷
That's about it folks...told you the highlight of the day would be if internet/phone were fixed.... sad isn't it!

Look forward to reading others posts.... take care all...
We need to get Viktoria back on here I miss her lovely humour!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 03:29 BST (UK) »
Woke up this morning to my mobile ringing to discover it was one of my cousins.   After breakfast I called her back and she told me she couldn't get through on the landline - would ring just once then loads of crackle and then it would cut off.  That reminded me of a text from another cousin a week ago saying she'd had the same problem.  I'd duly called her back on the landline no problem.  She'd had problems with her own phone a few weeks back and I assumed the fault was her end rather than mine.  Brother-in-law came with coolant for my car and said he'd rung my home phone etc etc.  So clearly the fault was with BT after all.   

So, after Stephen had gone I went online with BT to find out if I could report online and if not to find a phone number.   Was eventually able get a check done on the line which I had to do twice and then a message to say I had to call them on given number (with warning that they were very busy etc., etc).   After around a 15/20 minute wait eventually spoke to a very nice Irish girl.   She was able to confirm that there was an outside fault and that it should hopefully be sorted by Thursday - watch this space.....

This all took quite a while what with spending ages faffing about on the site and then ringing them and couldn't apply myself to anything after that.   

Had a text from my sister saying that she had got a Japanese Maple together with a pot so thank you again for the suggestion, Roobarb.  We are now ready for Mary's birthday on Thursday.

Cottage Pie for my meal tonight and then I watched 'Long Lost Family - What happened next' at 9pm.   At the end of the programme it was announced there will be another one next Monday. 

So not a very productive day for me I'm afraid.   Perhaps tomorrow will be better.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 04:50 BST (UK) »
My Monday was nowhere as interesting or constructive as those above.

Finished watching the third series of “Marcella” - a bit too far fetched and unbelievable even for a fictional crime drama. Most characters unlikeable. Interesting to see Anna Friel and Amanda Burton working together again after their stints in Brookside all those years ago.  :)

Can’t recall what else I did.

Weather very pleasant - cool in the evenings c11 degrees and warm during the day - 23/24 ish.

Took dog for her usual walk - a bit longer than usual - almost an hour and luckily she was happy to walk a slightly different route for part of it. Disgusted by the rubbish in some people yards - newly built million dollar houses with weeds in the front yards - overflowing bins - litter in the yard and on the footpath. I don’t understand how or why people live like that. It would take two minutes to bend over and pick it up and put it in the bin. Makes me very angry.

Pork sir fry and noodles for dinner. Tasted slightly below average.  :)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 18:27 BST (UK) »
Caroline, thank goodness they've finally fixed your internet! I did have a laugh at your typo  :D
What an amazing amount of sewing you've done, such a good thing in itself and also great that you enjoy it so much and find it relaxing. 
Yes, come back Viktoria, we miss you.

Annette, must be something in the air with these communication system problems.... hope yours gets sorted out soon. Glad you got sorted out with the Japanese Maple, hope Mary likes her gifts.

Ruskie, I watched the first series of Marcella but she got on my nerves and it all seemed a bit ridiculous. I'm with you on the litter issue, some folks are disgusting.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 19:03 BST (UK) »
Yeh - right just seen the typo! ;D
I'd probably had a couple of glasses of wine by that point in celebration!
I was beginning to think that there was a problem with this board The Stay Safe Board as nothing had been posted since his morning... so glad to see you've put something here!

I think there are lots of people using these services and broadband, telephone lines are unde the strain... next door neighbours phone not working now ....hope the engineer hasn't done anything to their line..
great idea of yours with the maple for Annettes friend..

getting ready for our investment club zoom shortly now... catch up later

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 19:45 BST (UK) »
I can't believe how my life can run away with me given it doesn't actually move very far, or fast!!

So glad you have your wires sorted now Caroline, it must have been really annoying.
Glad Mary's birthday is sorted LM and try not to feel abandoned Roobarb.
Genuinely I do know how hard it is when you don't feel you have any options, and no doubt you feel really cut off with your friend being way for several days. (When I was single I had no trouble at all during the weekdays, but the weekends, especially bank holidays were hell because I didn't feel able to invade people's private lives then.)  Do lots of "me time" and pampering.... like soak your feet in baby oil and paint your toe nails.  The time will pass quicker if you don't think about it. AND, passing people on a path for a matter of seconds will be fine, truly, and you can always put a hanky to your face if you are really spooked.  As to rubbish Ruskie, I do agree. I find people incomprehensible !!
Louisa Maud did tell me about the TV program which I hope to catch up on, but I am happy that when I witter on about Cockington you can all visualise it now.

On Monday we walked into town to try and find an NHS dentist. I was told a particular surgery is taking NHS patients, and they say they are on the recorded message, but standing outside their door begging to be allowed in so I could register got no reply.  Tried another same situation across the road, notice in the window saying NHS patients accepted and reception constantly operational. No reply!  Went home and tried to register via email; only private patients being accepted.

Drove to Totnes to meet dance group for a distanced stroll and outside tea party, which was very pleasant, but trying to go home I managed to take the wrong turn at every opportunity and had to make 3 U turns!!  However got back eventually.

Got a message from an unknown "cousin" who believes we are related through great, great-grand parents, but doesn't have the proof of the marriage, which I do think is a critical factor.....  ???

After tea walked into town again to post a birthday card.

Was pleased to get a message from oldest granddaughter thanking me for the cash injection to her driving lessons fund.

Watched some nonsense on TV but can't remember what it was.  ;)

Sorry to be so late.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 20:34 BST (UK) »
Always good to hear about your day mowsehowse, whenever that may be. Thank you for your kind words, some days things just get to me. Funny that you should mention painting my toenails, in normal times I always have them varnished in the summer, it's only a few weeks since I painted them for the first time this year as I hadn't been anywhere to wear any pretty sandals, I only wear trainers on my walk. I was going over to visit a friend in her garden and did them in honour of the occasion so it's probably time for a colour change now!

How utterly frustrating the quest for an NHS dentist must be for you, hope the tooth isn't bothering you too much. I haven't watched the Devon and Cornwall programme, will catch up on it. I should watch it anyway, considering a part of my heritage was in south Devon.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 22:46 BST (UK) »
Saw Flash Harry on Sunday,with his Mum and Dad, they came in the Van ,slept in it as Grandson has fitted it  out temporarily so they could see his maternal  granny and me ,but they stayed outside on the pavement and me in the garden.
He has grown, and has his Induction day at school in another week.
He told my daughter off the other day, ( she is his paternal granny).
She has a dog, a super little terrier, who follows the little boy everywhere in normal circumstances.
It had eaten its daily teeth cleaning chew but was whining for another, FH was in their garden ( his) and the dog was wanting to go in to him ,my daughter told the dog to be quiet - Flash Harry burst into tears — “ You have upset my friend and made me sad “ !
He seems a bit tearful at the moment but his Mummy has been unwell so he has had to amuse himself which he normally does, but has got used to lots of time with Mum and Dad together ,Dad is back at work now, but FH is looking forward to school.
Gets his uniform this week just Navy and white .
I have sent some cash as he will need good shoes and wellies ,warm coat and waterproofs etc as the school does a lot of outside stuff, not a full Forest School
but partly so.
He has outgrown his last Winter clothes and with Furlough  I can imagine things are a bit difficult.
They have been showing him pictures of me as it is so long since we have seen each other, so Grandson put me  on FaceTime ———Blimey!
I really will have to get my hair done, have a face lift and get those thingies
that go over your teeth !
Do you believe it but one of my many eye drops has sent my teeth quite yellow also my eye whites ,not skin as yet or I would be worriedI had Yellow
fever.
Busy day , sorting out a unit in my lounge, what papers to keep etc .
I always have all bills and statements in date order in separate files, in case I die in the night ,it will be easy then for my son to sort out my affairs.

I have been watching “ Return to the Chateau”, have watched it before but I
am absolutely lost in admiration for the sheer hard work the couple Angel and
Dick Strawbridge  have put in and what sympathetic restorations they are doing .
Full of original ideas for the wedding venue, it is truly lovely.
Angel has saved so much original material,especially wallpapers ,her ideas are fantastic.
A very watchable programme.
I feel exhausted though—- The Work!!!
I think I will have a relaxing bath  tonight ,got a book about the families who lived around the Ribblehead Viaduct on the Settle to Carlisle  line, families of the Navvies ,the washerwomen, cooks etc and  er ahem other “ Occupations” .It would be a real shanty town ,like the Wild West.
We visited and the viaduct ,all red brick arches ,so high, really is something
,and it is spectacular ,but graveyard nearby has  so many children’s graves, it is a very bleak spot totally exposed ,life would be truly hard.
A relative by marriage who is Welsh ,and thought there was nowhere so beautiful as Wales was truly impressed by The Lake District ,had no idea there was such beauty up in The Frozen North!
Well kitchen tidy up in case burglars come in the night then bath then bed  and a read .
Hope some good weather tomorrow ,the washing is piling up and I love to hang it outside.
So Goodnight and sleep well , Viktoria.