Author Topic: Diary > Monday 6th July  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 6th July
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 23:42 BST (UK) »
Great to hear all your news Viktoria, how lovely for you to have seen Flash Harry and his parents. He sounds like a proper little character. I've read the book you referred to, really enjoyed it, I was amazed that settlements like that did actually spring up in those days. I've never visited the Ribblehead Viaduct, would like to see it some time. I'm much more familiar with the Lake District, fantastic scenery in every season. We certainly do have some beautiful places up North don't we? 
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 23:54 BST (UK) »
Viktoria- Lovely to hear from you and all about FH.. he sounds a delightful little boy and you must have loved seeing them even from a distance...
Great to see your sense of humour still there to give us a smile and a lift!

Mowsehowse- sorry to hear about your dental issues and do hope you can get something sorted before it becomes too much more of a problem... amazing the difficulty you're having trying to find someone to deal with it!

I love Totnes, it's such a pretty place... when we were last down that way couple of years ago we went to the art gallery there...White Space Art, we'd had a card inviting us to a preview evening for artist David Morgan and it happened to be whilst we were there on holiday... we bought one of his paintings at the Affordable Art Fair in Battersea some years ago and to have opportunity to meet him was wonderful! It turned out that whilst he and OH we're chatting they discovered they both gone to the same Grammar School about 5 years different in age... then they started discussing teachers they'd had... it was quite unbelievable and has made the purchase of his painting even more significant!
Pleased to hear you got a message from your granddaughter too... they are very special these young people in our lives aren't they?

Oh dear Annette another one with a faulty phone... hope BT have managed to sort it out for you by now... good job we have mobiles we can use otherwise you'd feel very cut off...

Ruskie - your winter day time temps are almost like our summer ones! Any luck with your dads timber?

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 08:19 BST (UK) »
Good to see you have responded to the call Viktoria.  :D
So happy you have had a visit from FH to cheer you up.

Went back to search for the typo...... brilliant.  ;D

Hope everyone has a good day.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 14:29 BST (UK) »
Nice to be back, there was no news really , I mean finding something slimy in your gardening Croc shoes is not exactly news.
A slug, I swear it was six inches long,I could not get the beggar out.
I am also sure the slime could be used commercially ,it is so strong .
Do you think it would “ iron out “wrinkles?
Well ,the neighbour who was starting a window cleaning round did not come, almost everyone in the street and the next also had refused ,some told him off as he had not done the usual transaction ie bought the round from someone who was usually retiring.
I was so glad as he was really pushy.
Our usual chap came today , he mentioned it all and was cross as he had paid to take over the round some years ago.
As he said, his commercial work was much reduced as offices closed because
workers were wanting to work from home even when things are more normal.

Well ,back to work, silver next, I seldom polish it as I find when I do ,if I wash it in proper soapy water ,Lux, Fairy etc, it does  not oxidise again for ages and twice a year polishing is enough.
It is behind glass too.
I might get rid, it was OK in a big Victorian house - but a fairly modern is
not quite the same, sentiment! It does get in the way!
Cuppa first , then crack on.
Phoned son in law ( Flash Harry’s grandad ) thought it was his B/ day ,but no tomorrow.
Paid milk bill by phone, they had undercharged me by £ 9 -70,  all sorted now
after I drew their attention to the under charging.
I might go to heaven!
Cheerio,
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 19:17 BST (UK) »
Ewww, yukky!!!
Slugs are the very worst aren't they!!!
 :P

You are definitely a saint and have earned your place, but they will hold it for you for as long as you want, so no rush!!  :-*
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 19:43 BST (UK) »
Ha ha ha ha ha  ;D
 When I was  a child and a bit older,it used to bother me when the whole school would be made to sit in the hall after assembly ,until someone owned up to something!
Once at Junior school ,which was very close to a bowling green with velvet turf, someone had cut some squares out and taken them .
Now what would School children who had no gardens do with squares of turf?
There we sat and no one owned up probably because no one from the school had done it ,
But as the tension grew , I did  toy with the idea of owning up ,just to get off the darned floor!
The tension was unpleasant.
As my OH used to say “ Tell the truth, that never alters.”
He’s had a halo for years! ( I never let him know when he was alive, they get above themselves,they need “ withering “from time to time).Norah Batty.
No TV, tonight but I had dislodged something vital, probably by the stepladders!
Sorted now, Cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 19:58 BST (UK) »
Oh goodness... my worst night mare slugs....yuk horrible things, I think I'd have freaked out if I'd found one in my gardening shoes.... they get the treatment in this garden I can tell you otherwise they'd be munching their way through the veg patch!
The hostas used to look like colanders  but some one told me about smearing Vaseline round the rim... it certainly worked! If in pots obviously!

We have a lovely chap who cleans our windows, he's very handy with all sorts of other things too... he painted the outside of the house for us as O.H not good on ladders especially up to the eaves. Sorry you've had such a bullish type!
I'm not that keen on cleaning  silver and fortunately don't have much that's on view...

Glad you liked my typo Mowsehowse! I'm very good at them! I do try to read back before posting but if it's late at night they can get missed...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 20:35 BST (UK) »
I can pick up ,slugs, snails ,worms, caterpillars but  NOT spiders !
We had a caravan holiday once with our two little boys,
It was quite bad weather and cold and wet so we played indoors quite a bit.
We got some snails and some slugs and had races ,on a plastic bag .
Have a photograoh.
I was a bad mother on that holiday.
Decided the boys could sleep in the lounge on the converted banquette seats,l
But making up the bed in the bedroom ——- a HUGE spider that escaped ,
so sorry kids ,you are in the bedroom ( they did not know about the spider)!
We slept on the banquettes .
I still feel guilty about that, what a thing to do to a five and  three year old!
The RSPCA will come and get me!——Oh no,NSPCC,
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 20:39 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D