Author Topic: Soldier 6th Train Artillery  (Read 218 times)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Soldier 6th Train Artillery
« on: Tuesday 07 July 20 09:24 BST (UK) »
When John Bottomley married in 1796 in Bradford St Peter (West Yorkshire), he was recorded as a "Soldier 6th Train Artillery" (at least that's my best interpretation). Can anyone identify this unit/regiment/etc?

Because there was a long delay between the announcement of Banns in Nov 1795 and the actual marriage in May 1796, what were they were up to and where they were in that period?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier 6th Train Artillery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 10:08 BST (UK) »
An artillery train was a logistic unit that formed the supply column for the artillery of a formation, primarily focused on ammunition supply where the baggage train focused on other supplies.  They tended in those days to be formed for particular campaigns and most reduced or disbanded afterwards.  The term was also used more broadly to cover all the artillery with a force but with a number, the former would be the meaning.  Records for that period don't seem to exist although the RA Museum archives (when open again) may have something?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier 6th Train Artillery
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 09:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks MaxD for your explanation. And upon your advice, I've just now submitted a query to the RA Museum. Here's hoping!