Author Topic: Charlie  (Read 824 times)

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charlie
« on: Tuesday 07 July 20 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone find me a birth his name is Charles Edward jones and he was born on the 23rd March 1887 father's name Henry Sidney jones mothers name sevilla jones nee wellings have checked find my past,gro,family search not there but is on 1939 census,1891 census,1901 census and 1911 census am I missing something or was he not registered his 2 sisters are the same henrietta jones 1885 and Sarah Jane jones 1889 all in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Walton, Jones, Parker, Tipping,Nicholson, morrow,young,arrowsmith,Elliott, Anderson, ring rose, scrimshaw,hogarth,stewart

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charlie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 10:42 BST (UK) »
In the time that I have I have not been able to find him so far either, unfortunately.

However, might he be registered under a different name?  Just something to consider.  In my ancestry in one family I have someone who was birth registered as Jacob Conroy.  First name was that of maternal Grandfather and he was first born son.  However, he was baptised as James Conroy shortly after - first name of paternal Grandfather.  He spent the rest of his life under baptised name of James.  Then the next born son in same family was also registered as Jacob. 

I think there may have been a disagreement perhaps between the parents about which Grandfather to call the first son after.

Also, might Charlie's family have moved briefly elsewhere such as Scotland?  The family I mentioned above lived in Northumberland mostly but second son Jacob was born and registered in Hamilton, Lanarkshire. Family returned to Tyneside later on.  On the census this family always show in Northumberland but Jacob was born between the census.  Even if the census has Charlie as born in Newcastle it might pay to check Scotland records too, just in case.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 12:05 BST (UK) »
Might he have been registered Newcastle upon Tyne in 1887 March quarter under the name of Charles Harold Jones.  However, Mother's maiden name is given as Creaser.  Might that maiden name mean anything?  Or might this be a mistake in the entering of a maiden name perhaps?
Alternatively, this might be an entirely different Charles Jones to the one you are seeking.

Again an example from my own ancestry.  My paternal Grandmother had six children.  For five she gave the maiden name she was born with but for one she gave the maiden surname she had as a child after her widowed Mother remarried.  Her step-Father's surname. 

Despite discrepancies with middle name and Mother's maiden name if I were you I would be thinking that this Charles Harold Jones is worth checking out further.

https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/newcastle-registration-service/contact-register-office

The registrar's office is not open at the moment for people visiting but I think they are responding to phone calls and emails.  I would contact them and ask if they have the birth cert for "Charles Harold Jones - Father Henry Sidney Mother Sevilla".  They will then likely say "yes" or "no not those parent's names".  You have to pose this as a statement and not a question about parentage.  They won't answer questions about parents' names on certs but they will likely say yes or no as to whether this Charles Harold fits the bill as you state.  If so then you will know you can safely go on to ordering the correct  cert. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 12:50 BST (UK) »
Might he have been registered Newcastle upon Tyne in 1887 March quarter under the name of Charles Harold Jones.  However, Mother's maiden name is given as Creaser.  Might that maiden name mean anything?  Or might this be a mistake in the entering of a maiden name perhaps?
Alternatively, this might be an entirely different Charles Jones to the one you are seeking.

Again an example from my own ancestry.  My paternal Grandmother had six children.  For five she gave the maiden name she was born with but for one she gave the maiden surname she had as a child after her widowed Mother remarried.  Her step-Father's surname. 

Despite discrepancies with middle name and Mother's maiden name if I were you I would be thinking that this Charles Harold Jones is worth checking out further.

https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/newcastle-registration-service/contact-register-office

The registrar's office is not open at the moment but I think they are responding to phone calls and emails.  I would contact them and ask if they have the birth cert for Charles Harold Jones - Father Henry Sidney Mother Sevilla.  They will then likely says yes or no not those parent's names.  You have to pose this as a statement and not a question about parentage.  They won't answer questions about parents' names on certs but they will likely say yes or no as to whether this Charles Harold fits the bill as you state.  If so then you will know you can safely go on to ordering the correct  cert. :)

Sorry that one is not it. I found the baptism for that birth on findmypast and it has different parents.

Still glad to see someone was following the same lines as me ;)

I am suspecting that none of the children were registered (there is an older brother too who i could not find a birth registration for)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 12:57 BST (UK) »
Oh well it was worth a try but I hadn't checked for other children - I presumed you had found those registered but I hadn't realised that there seems to have been a pattern of not registering.  :-\ I thought it was only Charles who had seemingly not been registered. That puts an entirely different slant on things if none seem to have been registered.  (I wish I had known that at the start :-\) In that case it may be the parents just didn't consider this something as worth doing.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 13:10 BST (UK) »
They have I think been registered under the surname Sidney.

From Gro Index

Sidney , Charles Edward Apr -Jun 1887 Newcastle mmn Willins
Sidney, Henrietta Apr - Jun 1885 Newcastle mmn Wellins
Sidney, Sarah Jane Jul - Sep 1889 Newcastle mmn Wellins

(Also can see on FindMyPast).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 13:13 BST (UK) »
Oh well done William!  Great finds!  :D You have saved the day on this one!  This has got to be them! :D

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 13:16 BST (UK) »
Very good find William, I hadn't thought of that option ! The OP will be pleased
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 13:26 BST (UK) »
On their marriage registration Mar ¼  1882 her name is  given as Sevilla Wellings,

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk