Author Topic: Dorizac Family in England - Name Origin?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dorizac Family in England - Name Origin?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 21:39 BST (UK) »
Wow, all this research is amazing, thank you everyone! France is certainly sounding possible. French protestant would also certainly seem plausible for the time. Where are you all finding the French Dorizacs?

I have taken a DNA test which sadly gave no clues, saying I'm 100% English, Scottish and Irish (despite I know for sure I have quite a bit of distant French ancestry from another line). I am 7 generations removed from Peter Dorizac however, so I guess it makes sense that it might not show up.
None of the providers are particularly good at detecting French DNA, but 23andme is probably better than Ancestry. Part of the problem is commercial DNA testing is illegal in France without a court order (i.e. to verify paternity), so the companies have difficulty in obtaining reference samples. I think Ancestry acquired a French university study made a few years ago that used medical samples, but I think they did not realize there was huge immigration from Italy and Spain in the late 19th - mid 20th century so they didn't know they would need to be careful about just picking people out with French sounding surnames, when in certain areas of France, it is quite likely some people could almost half Italian or Spanish from recent ancestry. The other effect of that was a lot of people on Ancestry with known Italian ancestry suddenly became French  ::).

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 21:41 BST (UK) »
Someone said the Pyrenees
Gabrielle Dorizac born 1742 Campan , Hautes -Pyrenees ,France

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campan

Added
another French region - The Dordogne 1763

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGB7-DKPL

you may want to consider the surname DOROSCZAK in Radozyce ,Poland - quote -
Radoszyce was a town from ca. 1370 to 1869 in the county of Konskie ,Poland - I think it is Ukraine now
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline osgoodfield

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi is this thread still active. My great great (Think) grandfather on my mother's side was Frederick Charles Dorizac born in Sheerness Kent in 1853, 1855 or 1856 - different references. He jumped ship in Wellington as a 14 year-old ships violinist - captains cabin boy (family lore). He founded the New Zealand and Australian branch of the family. We always believed the name huguenot in origin. I am presently living in France and am interested in following up any leads here.