Author Topic: Norway: How do I trace merchant seaman?  (Read 2147 times)

Offline celticgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Norway: How do I trace merchant seaman?
« on: Wednesday 24 August 05 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,  am I on a lost cause trying to trace my Norwegian roots?  All I have to go on is as follows:

John Johnson (aka Johan Johannson) born in 1870 in Norway -  Stavanger I think.
On marriage cert in 1897 to Elizabeth Talbot in Newport, South Wales, he is listed as a merchant seaman aged 28, his father is listed as Charles and also a ms.  He died in 1926 in Barry, South Wales.

As I have no further info, such as the name of his ship, should I give up?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Steph

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Norway: How do I trace merchant seaman?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 August 05 13:30 BST (UK) »
If he continued working as a merchant seaman in England, there might be some English records for him.  (Depending particuarly if he was an ordinary seaman or a master or mate).  They might be hard to find for the earlier years, though.  On his death certificate, what did it give for his occupation?  (Also what was the church listed on the marriage certificate, you could check the church records.  Particularly if he attended a non-conformist church they might give more information.)

Another possibility is if he became a British citizen, the naturalization records might give you the information you need.  Also his headstone might give more info?  Possibly a firm data of birth, which would help.

http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/NorwaySeamenResearch.html - not sure what dates these cover, and it seems you would have to figure out more information to pick him out of the records at any rate.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celticgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Norway: How do I trace merchant seaman?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 August 05 11:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that info, it definitely gives me something to go on.

I also tried the Norwegian family research site, but found it a bit confusing.

Thanks again.

Steph