Author Topic: Diary - Tuesday 7th July  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Tuesday 7th July
« on: Tuesday 07 July 20 23:33 BST (UK) »
Well here goes with another day of uninspiring activities...

I had a terrible nights sleep... woke up in the middle of the night and had trouble getting back to sleep... then the dustmen woke me early... finally got up after tossing and turning...
Out of recent habit I checked the router had three little green lights... still working!
After breakfast had a shower and tidied up the bathrooms ...
Off up to neighbours up the Lane for our usual Tuesday morning coffee... highlight of the week... four of us today... few spits and spots of rain so she put up her huge patio umbrella and we stayed dry... didn't last long fortunately... lovely to chat with others and hear their news.... one friend off in their caravan on Saturday to a small site near Ludlow... self sufficient so no need to encounter others.
OH was still finishing the last of his jigsaw when I got back couple of hours later... he was doing it when I left... but said he was going to mow the lawn!...
Had lunch.. he went out to mow before the rain due to start...
Had message from friend who works at Gatwick... 1200 been made redundant so far with more to follow so she's not sure if she'll be one of them! They'd had in one day 8 flights in and 8 out... not sure if that's just the 1 terminal or both... only one has been open during all this time... will hear more from her tomorrow as she's on nights at the moment...
Did some cooking, made some ratatouille as had small aubergine and couple of courgettes in the fridge, added red pepper, onion, garlic and herbs put in three containers to freeze... only me that likes it..
Then cooked a turkey bake ready for dinner later..
Decided the pile of ironing would soon reach dizzy heights so watched Long Lost Family update whilst doing it...
Message from daughter to say the boys had really enjoyed being back at school and we're doing story time tomorrow after lunch so after the w/ends debacle with Zoom it'll be lovely to see them and chat..
Earlyish dinner as we then had Zoom with our investment club friends... quite a few came in good to see different faces.. hoping we may be able to actually meet next month!
Watched tv.... can't remember what... so couldn't have been very inspiring...
Hope I sleep better tonight..
Look forward to hearing about everyone else's day...
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Tuesday 7th July
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 00:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear you had a bad night Caroline, hope tonight is better. How awful that all those people have been made redundant, I suppose there's no other option at the moment but let's hope it's not too long before the current situation improves and the employers can take them back on again. Such a worry for them all though. Sounds like your OH is becoming a jigsaw addict! Maybe it means he'll take his eye off the ball with the scrabble.  ;)

Diary:

It was raining when I got up so no hurry to get outside. It dried up shortly after, then the window cleaner had arrived so didn't want to go out until after he'd finished as I wanted to lock the access to the back garden. Told him that I'd pay online, I always used to pay cash but don't want to do that at the moment. The money in my purse has been there since March. Had a chat with him, keeping him from his work!

Did some bill payments etc, had a look at Rootschat while I was online. The post arrived, another home insurance quote that went straight in the bin, also arrived was the new Kindle cover I'd sent for. It fit! I felt like Cinderella! Much better quality than the previous one I'd sent for and half the price, was really pleased. Doesn't take a lot to make me happy these days.

Had some lunch, it rained again, quite heavy but didn't last long. Decided to wait till later for my walk. Got my art materials out to paint a vase with acrylic pour technique, an extremely messy process. Wasn't entirely satisfied with the result, too much of one colour. Will do a further pour when it's dry.

Still very cloudy when I went out for my walk, wore a suitable jacket in case it rained again. The grass cutter had been and cut the part of the field that hadn't been done on Friday. Walked around the field, up and down the usual path in the woods then decided to tackle the narrow bit. It twists and turns so you can't see far ahead, in some places the bushes and trees are very low and meet overhead. Further along I could hear some people talking amongst the trees, I just passed a side path when two youths emerged from it, they were heading the way. I'd come from. Didn't encounter anyone else in my direction, it was so quiet along there, a bit spooky really. Turned back eventually and retraced my steps. Not far from where the wider path starts I saw a man with two dogs approaching from the opposite direction. Was looking to see where I could stand aside, it would be further towards him so I was aiming for that but he stood in a clear area near himself to let me past. Thanked him and went on my way across to the wide path for a bit more walking then home.

Sent an email to my art teacher with my further progress on my painting. Did some further updates on tomorrow's grocery order, I get sick of eating the same things so had had a scout round the site to see what I could get for a bit of a change.

Further to being sick of eating the same things, I decided to conjure up something for tea. Coated a chicken breast with a mixture of olive oil and Cajun spice, roasted it with slices of red pepper, a bit of spring onion and cherry tomatoes. Served with Jersey potatoes and green beans, very tasty if I say so myself.

Got a free two months' subscription to Readly, I've had a couple before, just set a reminder to cancel before I'm charged. Ordered a paperback to read in the bath as I'm more than halfway through the current one.

Usual evening of TV, watched The Secret Mediterranean with Trevor McDonald. He was in Santorini, I haven't been to that island but I absolutely love Greece, beautiful islands and the people are so warm and friendly. I so want to go back there. Then he went to Tunisia, I've been there twice, that's enough for me. Then France, have only been there once, to Paris when I was nineteen. I'd also watched A Place in the Sun earlier, it was in Puglia, Italy. Would love to visit Italy again too. Don't know why I torment myself with these programmes!

All in all it was a better day today.  :)

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 08:46 BST (UK) »
Shocked to notice this thread already had 57 views!

Glad to see you had a better day Roobarb, that IS good news.  :D

Caroline you are so amazing with everything you pack into a day, I am in awe... and you are rewarded with woodpeckers. When we lived in South Wales we had them on our grass quite often, probably because we let it grow so a lot of insects in there no doubt, but what a joyous sight. Lovely you had some company and can look forward to Zooming with the boys. :D

My tooth is not too troublesome, at present touch wood, (thank you,) but it will be again, and I am very worried that it seems NHS dentistry is a thing of the past in Paignton, which may turn out to be the thin end of the wedge. I do know someone who drives from Brixham to Hants for her dentist!

Diary:
A beautiful clear morning, but with a strong wind blowing.
Spent some time trying to work out the new family history "evidence", but it is 3xgreat and all overseas.... I don't know where to start in another language.
Walked into town to meet up with a few of the Gransnet group which I started a couple of years ago. We sat outside at a large table and chatted for a short while.  I always wonder if the others feel it was helpful, but they usually tell me it is a life-line, so fingers crossed.
Husband taking a new on-line student for a tutoring session so I finished the Ann Cleeves, Vera novel I was reading.  It was a bit strange, having been a fan of the TV series, but not a bad read, and I did not guess the ending.

Spent some time amending the linear family tree for the branch with new iinfo. Ain't it wonderful how setting it all down causes loads of new stuff to surface so that all the writing has to be re-done!!

Watched Twiggy on the One Show, she still looks fabulous. I was in the year below her at school and can remember hearing our (American) French teacher bellowing in her class as I passed by one day.
Also watched the Indian wedding episode of Eastenders, (which I NEVER watch,) and found that really fascinating on several levels.

After tea walked along the beach to the end, where the new toilet block has been installed. 30p entry, but not open yet. This new single facility replaces long standing M + F + disabled free facilities.  A falcon was flying around and spooking the birds, making the magpies chatter like drills. Very grey and cool so few people around.

Looking for the TV programme with the bit about Cockington, I found an episode which featured Trescoe, but eventually decided I must have the wrong one, and then it disappeared while searching for the right one, so gave up!!

Started looking at free library version of Ancestry and was still up at moon rise, but a belt of cloud obscuring the gorgeous sight of the last couple of nights.

Hope everyone has a good day.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 09:00 BST (UK) »
MH
Cockington was mainly showing the thatcher, a local man who has thatched most houses in that area as his father and grandfather did, was interesting to watch, will watch the Devon and Cornwall prog next week, I find these sort of programmes interesting

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 10:54 BST (UK) »
MH
Cockington was mainly showing the thatcher, a local man who has thatched most houses in that area as his father and grandfather did, was interesting to watch, will watch the Devon and Cornwall prog next week, I find these sort of programmes interesting

Louisa Maud

?? In the same episode as Tresko was featured ??
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 12:09 BST (UK) »
Dull and overcast all day - very quiet here and think folk must have been like me staying indoors.

I won't bore you with the inactivity of my day but something good did happen.

I reported Monday that I was unable to receive calls on my home phone (although I could ring out),  had reported to BT and told it should be fixed by end of Thursday.  Well, early afternoon had a call on my mobile from a UK number I didn't recognise so didn't answer it.  A voicemail then arrived and learnt it was from Kevin, BT Openreach, who was about to try and fix the problem which was outside somewhere.   A few minutes after 6pm my landline rang (yippee) and it was Kevin confirming that he had fixed the problem and I thanked him profusely.  So, the fault dealt with and fixed within 24 hours by BT!   I had told them I was one of the 'vulnerable' and assume this was the reason for the speedy repair so hats off to BT.

Evening spent watching TV, US Long Lost Family and some Poirot repeats and some Rootschat before I went to bed.

Wondering how we'll get on Thursday, on Mary's birthday.   Supposed to meet up in her garden but the forecast is for rain ALL day!!!   We might have had a 'flaming' June but July weather awful and can't see any change in the week ahead forecast - hope that wasn't it for our summer!

Take care.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 13:16 BST (UK) »
Yippee Annette.... that IS good news.
Fingers crossed for Thursday.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 20:10 BST (UK) »
Well we've not had another game of scrabble since... I'm reluctant to ask! The still life jigsaw is finished and now a new ones being started... the Rialto bridge in Venice with lots of stonework  and sky!
Oh that was what we watched... Trevor McDonald... bit like the trips that Alan Wicker used to do...

Glad to hear your day was better Roobarb...

Mowsehowse it's good to meet up with friends and chat... something that once seemed just a normal thing to do is now held as a special event... wonder if things will get back to normal ever....
I've not done any family history to speak of ... had some info re DNA but none I recognise and most don't link to trees so almost pointless!

Annette - great to hear your BT chap has fixed your line so promptly... hope weather improves for Thursday... will keep 🤞🤞

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 20:26 BST (UK) »
I've not done any family history to speak of ... had some info re DNA but none I recognise and most don't link to trees so almost pointless!
Caroline

Quite so Caroline..... I had this message: 
"this means, that we are cousins, somehow. It seems, that she was either one of 150 great-grandchildren of our common ancestors, or one of their 350 gr-gr-grandchildren.  :P
We just have to find the connection...."  :-\

Which explains why I have sooooooo many DNA matches and not a clue who's who!!  :D