Author Topic: John f Kennedy and Michael kennedy  (Read 2366 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John f Kennedy and Michael kennedy
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 09 July 20 07:58 BST (UK) »
Griffiths Valuation shows a couple of Gills in that parish but no Alexander.

It is very probable that the Kennedys were not from there - maybe not even Roscommon.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 09 July 20 11:08 BST (UK) »
All I could find out about Michael Kennedy's RIC service, from what is available to me, is as follows (gathered together from several records and registers), the matches on date of marriage  and date of death are pretty well a smoking gun, in terms of confirming that it's the correct man.

Service number: 6941
Appointed: 4 August [18]45
Age when appointed: 20
Height: 5' 10"
Native County: Limk
Religion: C
If Married, Date: 26.1.[18]54
Native County Of Wife: Rosc
Trade or Calling: Labr
Allocation: Cav; Reser; Lim; Rosc 1.11.[18]47
Pensioned: 1 June 1876
Total Service: 30 Years 9 Months
Pension: £63

There are several pages of payment register from 1876 onwards, showing his rank as Acting Constable, with payment made at Roscommon or Strokestown. Another document shows that a gratuity to 1 widow and 0 children was recommended on 14 November 1890.  The relevant payment register at that time has the written note 'Died 3 Nov 1890' beside his name and in the payment column from November onwards, the words 'To Mrs Sarah Kennedy, his widow' are written.   

At least you know he was from Co. Limerick.  :)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 09 July 20 11:40 BST (UK) »
Lovely   :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 09 July 20 12:36 BST (UK) »

Great sleuthing, gaffy  ;D
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 09 July 20 17:16 BST (UK) »

Great sleuthing, gaffy  ;D

Thank you  :) Though I'm not gaining any traction on County Limerick records for a Michael Kennedy born c. 1825 to father Thomas Francis Kennedy, a farmer. Maybe that's the brick wall kicking in... or maybe fresh eyes will sort it.

If the location for the church and residence in the 1854 Kennedy-Gill and 1859 Bowen-Gill marriage records was Kilglass parish (I didn't see it at first, but I think you and Heywood are spot on), and given that those records indicate that the brides were born in the early 1830s to a father Alexander, I wondered about the following tithe applotment books record in Kiltrustan civil parish, which is just a bit to the west in Roscommon - ie. 'Allick' Gill... but in a townland I can't recognise ('Ballyrahan'? - there are also a couple of entries in that civil parish for 'Ballyvahan'? as well, which I can't reconcile...)

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625896/004625896_00175.pdf

(NAI has this recorded under Kiltrustan parish)