Author Topic: Patrick Mckenna- convict in Wellington area NSW  (Read 568 times)

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Mckenna- convict in Wellington area NSW
« on: Wednesday 08 July 20 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone might see any further details for a Patrick McKenna who was possibly living in the Wellington area for a decade or so.
I have him as a convict arriving on the lady mcnaughton in 1835 having being tried in Louth that year for stealing clothes. He got his ticket of leave in Wellington in 1841 ( also known alias mckiernan).
He got his certificate of freedom in 1846.
I can see a child james born in 1858 to Patrick and Catherine mckenna. This could be him. I can also see an article on trove showing a Patrick mckenna was in bathurst gaol for three months hard labour in July 1860 for receiving stolen property.
Looking for any further details of this man. A death perhaps?
Katharine.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Mckenna- convict in Wellington area NSW
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 July 20 22:54 BST (UK) »
I haven't found anything as yet to confirm if these are the ones your looking for, or even if the below have any connection to each other. I will have another look later today and see if i can find ages at time of death or any notices that may help.

NSW birth

MCKENNA  JAMES
12949/1858
Father - PATRICK 
Mother - CATHERINE   
District - WELLINGTON [july]

NSW deaths

MCKENNA  JAMES
4704/1858
Father - PATRICK 
Mother - CATHERINE 
District - ORANGE [first half of sept]

MCKENNA  CATHERINE
5003/1863
Father - JOSEPH
Mother - CATHERINE 
District - ORANGE

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 July 20 02:42 BST (UK) »
There are numerous death entries for the name Patrick McKenna in NSW but the following could help to narrow down the search.
On Ancestry
NSW Police Gazette 1872 .. Patrick Kenna alias McKenna 12m hard labour Darlinghurst Gaol, Sydney.(could be him)
Patrick McKenna registered as a blacksmith at Waterloo 1872
www.trove.nla.gov.au 7 Oct 1874 Patrick McKenna charged with assault on wife Catherine McKenna
NSW Registry BDM  death 1872 Catherine McKenna dau of Patrick and Catherine at Waterloo (ie inner Sydney)
Also same source death 1897 Catherine McKenna d Waterloo.

shume     australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 July 20 03:26 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Some background info to avoid duplicating info.  https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=687421.0

I will have a check through my Wellington NSW convict era files later, could be a couple of weeks or so before I have the opportunity, but I have added to my white board TO DO list.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 July 20 03:54 BST (UK) »
My trusty notebook is not here with me but is with one of my ancient rellies (he is an Oberon family member) who reads the threads here at RChat, but declines to join in…  NOT to worry, he has phoned me and I share from my trusty notebook :

Various chaps named Patrick McKENNA in NSW in the 1830s and 1840s, including :

:)  :) A married man who arrived per Ayrshire on 25 Oct 1841, aged 30, a carpenter, with wife (Bridget)  child/ren  and sponsoring several lasses who were also on that voyage – eg Mary Tooner, Mary Cahal, Mary Leddie as well as : Thomas McKenna aged 24 who arrived per the Larne on 6 Nov 1841  - possibly these people came to NSW to work for Hannibal Hawkins MACARTHUR. 

:)  :) Convict arrived Roslyn Castle 7 Feb 1833, aged 27, single, gained his Cert of Freedom in 1839.

:)  :) Our OPs ancestor … a Convict arrived per Lady Macnaughten in 1835, Cert of Freedom 10 March 1846 – also known as McKIERNAN.

There are others, but these seem the most likely candidates to check out for any Wellington NSW connections.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 July 20 04:08 BST (UK) »
NSW Electoral Roll 1870  and 1878 WELLINGTON
William McKENNA, freehold, Wellington.

Grevilles 1875 PO Directory, Wellington
William McKENNA

A tragic child death over the Christmas :
Freeman's Journal 1 Jan 1870 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/115293790
The City coroner held an inquest on Monday at the Sportman's Arms, Waterloo relating tot he death of William McKenna, aged 4 years, son of Patrick McKenna, blacksmith, Waterloo.   On Saturday the lad accompanied his mother to Mr Boyce's cab priprietor; and afterwards went out into the back, where he was subsequently discovered lying on the ground .....  a verdict of accidental death was returned by the jury...   :'(  (JM notes this accident was on Saturday 25 December 1869)

JM

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 July 20 09:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for information. I am tossing up ordering the birth certificate for James at Wellington which is why I am after some more information to assess if I am on the right track. Patrick seemed like a likely candidate to fit in with some information I had on my great great great grandmother.

From what I have seen there could be two different Patrick McKenna's (with wife Catherine) floating around in that timeframe.

I tried to find some more information on Patrick McKenna per Lady McNaughton but haven't found anymore than the Convict Indent, Ticket of Leave and Certificate of Freedom. I could not find reference to his crime in the Irish Newspapers. Nor was he listed in the Ireland-Australia Transportation Database. I did find the entry for Bathurst Gaol in 1860 but the ship listed is different so I think it could be the 'other' Patrick McKenna.

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi all.
I have been looking at some information that I have and am now back on the hunt for the McKenna family at Wellington and Carcoar. I have not yet ordered any certificates for this family but am still considering doing so.
Any information gratefully received. I would love to hear from any descendants of them too.
Thanks, Katharine.