Author Topic: South Wales borderers  (Read 3109 times)

Offline kenandjulie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South Wales borderers
« on: Wednesday 08 July 20 11:20 BST (UK) »
I have in my tree Isaac George Williams, born Blaenafon, Monmouthshire, 1881, I have his attestation record dated25/7/02 and signs on for 6 years. Service number 7730, Attestation corp 3rd Bn S.W.B
One of the questions on the form asks "Do you belong to her Majesty's Army". His reply was "Yes! 4th 2/15 South Wales Borderers.
I am a little confused was he in the Army when attested? Can anybody give me any information on him.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Ken Williams.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: South Wales borderers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 11:26 BST (UK) »
I may be wrong but I think the 4th was a militia battalion.

guest189040

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 11:32 BST (UK) »

Offline kenandjulie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 13:10 BST (UK) »
What is the difference between a Militia and regular Army?. The 4th Bn SWB, you say was a Militia, would there be service records for those that served in the Militia and if so how can i access them for Isaac George Williams.
Please forgive my ignorance. hope someone can help.

Ken Williams

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 14:47 BST (UK) »
The militia was one of the fore-runners of the Territorial Force (later Territorial Army) ie a part time unit. 
Some records have survived, may more haven't so if you don't find his where you found the other, his aren't to be found.

However - the unit he was serving in in July 1902 was not 4th (Militia) Battalion but 4th Volunteer Battalion (what you have read as 2/15 is V/B - Volunteer Battalion), a different outfit.  He is here signing up to the 3rd Militia Battalion.  It may be (speculation) that one was more convenient to where he lived than the other.  4th VB was Monmouthshire and 3rd Militia Bn was Radnor and Brecknock.

Both types of unit were part time service.  On joining, he attended his 49 days training then attended annual camp in 1903 and then bought himself out in 1904.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline kenandjulie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 16:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you one and all for helping me and thank you MaxD for pointing out the difference between the 4th Militia and the 4th Volunteer BN, I now have a clearer picture. He originated from Blaenafon, which is not very far from the Brecknock border and some 15/19 miles from Brecon..
Much appreciated.

Ken Williams

Offline Jack TT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 July 20 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, Not sure if you have tried this route yet, my great grandfather was in the SWB, I contacted The Regimental Museum of the Royal Welsh. I gave them what information I had and they filled in a number of gaps.
Email: info  at  royalwelsh.org.uk