Author Topic: Campbell/McMahon family from Monagahan moved to Sunderland  (Read 1191 times)

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Campbell/McMahon family from Monagahan moved to Sunderland
« on: Wednesday 08 July 20 12:35 BST (UK) »
I have discovered that I have relatives who came from Monaghan and were living in Sunderland in 1851, one of them being Mary McMahon (born around 1816 in Monaghan) who was married to Andrew Campbell (born around 1815 in Monaghan). In the 1851 census the whole family were shown and working as Oakum Teasers in Sunderland, north east England.

The family in Sunderland in 1851 consisted of
Andrew Campbell aged 35, Mary Campbell (nee McMahon) aged 36 and their children most of them were born in Monaghan:-
Michael 17
Owen 13
Patrick 11
Mary (Ann) 9
Julie 6
plus 2 other children born is Sunderland
Catherine 2 - Though no trace in the GRO - Baby registered as Onera born 1850 is more likely
(CAMPBELL, ONERA  MCMAHON GRO Reference: 1850  M Quarter in SUNDERLAND UNION  Volume 24  Page 286)
And lastly
Ann 6 months

So it appears they came to Sunderland between 1845 and 1849.

I wonder if you could point me in the direction of, if and where I may begin to discover where my came from, and why they might move to Sunderland to work for such a pittance.

Mary Ann married another Irishman Philip Daley - their children were baptised in a Catholic church though unsure whether the Campbell family were Catholic or Protestant as I cannot find any baptisms in Sunderland for the children born here.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Cheers - Bryn
WOOD - Sunderland descendants of Thomas WOOD Master Mariner - b1805 in Stockton and Jane HORNSBY.

CLARK - Forebears - my great grandparents George Alexander CLARK (Mariner) born app 1879 Aberdeen married Sunderland 1904 to Florence Colvet BRADLEY b abt 1882 in Australia
KNAPP (Mariners) - ex of Kent moving to Seaham.
APPLEBY - Seaham Harbour (Children of Great x 2 Uncle John (boat owner) inc. Sir Alfred Appleby moved away).

JONES - Seaham Harbour Great Grandfather Thomas Emrys JONES b1868