Author Topic: Furlough scheme - employers to get bonus  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Furlough scheme - employers to get bonus
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 July 20 23:21 BST (UK) »
I agree with Guy's comments too. We are pensioners with both state and occupational pensions, are mortgage free and have a comfortable lifestyle, that we worked hard for. We have avoided the various food delivery options as we are fortunate in that we are fit and heathy enough to be able to do our own shopping along with that of our sheilded neighbour and therefor left the online deliveries for people who needed it most.
Everyone has found the last three months very difficult some more so than others and especially the NHS and other key workers in essential roles for which we are very grateful.
Throwing accusations without justification is both unnecessary and inflammatory and benefits no-one, there are no winners on any level and we should remember those who are no longer here and be grateful that we have, so far, lived to tell the tale. So no more mud slinging at the pensioners who always seem to take the blame for enjoying the fruit of their labours in their senior years.
We were also blamed for Brexit, free transport, prescriptions and TV licenses, which we haven't benefitted from and never will now.
I earned my money in this town and will spend it in this town including the Mothers Day vouchers which I have saved to spend locally and not online.
Take care everyone and enjoy what you have whilst you still have it.

Greensleeves: I sincerely hope that your daughter very soon gets the surgery that she desperately needs to restore her quality of life.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 July 20 00:25 BST (UK) »
It seems this lockdown is having an adverse effect on some of us - Thank goodness the diatribe appears to be over.

I too agree with Guy, Greensleeves, Groom and Treetotal.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 July 20 01:12 BST (UK) »
I don't believe I made a diatribe against anyone, nor did throw about any accusations.  I simply stated the uncomfortable truth that taken collectively the the older generation were at substantially greater risk of any serious consequences from Covid19, yet lost the least financially. 

For the record, I'm retired myself (but not yet receiving state pension), mortgage free and comfortably off, having also worked hard for what I have.  So if anything I'm far closer to the 'elderly' group I'm referring to than the younger ones I believe we should now be supporting.

I clearly remember the financial worry and sleepless nights when I was made redundant just as interest rates hit 20%, but jobs were reasonably plentiful then and I also took a second job in a pub.  Those opportunities simply don't exist at the moment, and I truly feel for anyone suffering those worries in today's climate.

Greensleeves is right when she says "ask what you can do to help make things better"

People talk about the Silver Pound - it does have power, and never has it been more needed. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 July 20 06:40 BST (UK) »
snip
I'll just keep doing what I can to support my local businesses & local jobs. 

Now here we do agree yes I will support local businesses and jobs as I believe most people will do as well.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 July 20 08:01 BST (UK) »
Yes, I will in my own small way.  There has never been a more important time to shop local.  If there is a shop or company etc, that you would rather not lose, support it now, as so many, sadly, seem to be at risk of going under.  My heart goes out to those whose lives are being turned upside down through loss of jobs and income and who may lose their homes.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

guest189040

« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 July 20 09:47 BST (UK) »
The reason for lockdown, protecting the NHS, is long since achieved so time for everyone to get back to work. It is also time for the NHS to resume its role of protecting us, and against ALL illnesses, not just Covid 19.

I couldn't agree more, and not just back to work but back to living & spending too. 

Perhaps those older/high risk people that we protected by staying home for so long now have a moral duty to repay the favour by getting their wallets out to protect the jobs of the low risk/young.

I'm sure there will be lots of indignation, but older people - many of whom own their homes outright - were by far the main beneficiaries of the lock-down, yet I didn't see any pensioners taking a 20% cut in income, or losing their income entirely, or falling into arrears on their mortgage/rent and other bills whilst struggling to turn their homes into a classroom. 

Personally I feel that if you haven't suffered financially (and I include myself in this) then the very least you should be doing now is putting some money back into the economy to protect jobs.  If you've nothing you can spend it on then buy some vouchers & shove them through the letterbox of someone who can use them.

What a load of rubbish.

We have been prisoners in our own homes and will will continue to be so until such times as a vaccine is produced and we are protected.  Covid is not going away, it will still be there and as your life gets back to some level of normality for millions of others ours will not.

As for getting our wallets out, that is the most idiotic statement I have read, what do you think that we have been doing for the last 25 years, since the financial crash in the 90’s.  Our savings have eroded in value by way of low interest rates just so you folks with their mortgage, new cars, twice a year holidays abroad etc not to mention all the luxuries at home can have the lifestyle you think that you deserve.

Try living on a State Pension to see how that feels and to experience the lifestyle that results.

As an oldie I see the generations below mine behaving like idiots, flouting guidance and making little attempt to social distance.

All they care about it me, me, me with the exception of those who are in the caring professions and key industries.

So how about thinking of others and not yourselves, I did so working in the NHS for 25 years, so this oldie has more that done their bit for the inconsiderate generations.

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 10 July 20 10:22 BST (UK) »
Biggles, you are a prisoner in your own home only if you choose to be. There might never be an effective vaccine for Covid 19; despite a lot of money being thrown at it there is still no vaccine against the aids virus. It would be truly awful to give up on life because of the very small chance that you might catch this particular illness. It is also appalling to believe that the vast majority of the population for whom this particular illness would be a relatively slight inconvenience should be asked to give up so much of their freedom to protect the very few who might be at a higher risk, particularly as those few can adopt there own protective measures without requiring everyone else to do the same.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 10 July 20 10:47 BST (UK) »
‘ All they care about it me, me, me with the exception of those who are in the caring professions and key industries.‘ - Biggles

That is so insulting to the many younger people who are trying to study/ work/on furlough or without income and keep within the guidances .

I have been out for the first time this week and guess what the age was of the people (men actually) I saw spending their cash in the local pubs. You probably guessed - 50 - 70+ year olds.

They were doing their bit to support the local economy  :)

I feel so upset at your words Biggles and sadly you seem to have a very narrow view of younger  people.
Those who have been able to work in my family (education) have done so during this time. My teenage grandchildren have not met any friends - one has now been allowed back to school to study and my younger grandchildren have not met friends either - since March.
Hardship comes in different forms.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 July 20 11:15 BST (UK) »
Having weighed up all the evidence, I'm now sure that there are two groups of people to blame for this, the feckless youngsters and the greedy old people.

The feckless young group are aged 0 - 60 and the greedy older group are aged 62 upwards. The only virtuous group are the 61 year olds. Particularly those born in January - all the others are to blame in some way or other.