Author Topic: DNA matches - need help with which MRCA  (Read 582 times)

Offline Hopefulone

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA matches - need help with which MRCA
« on: Wednesday 08 July 20 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone

Please could someone help with which generation/cousin level to look for the most recent common ancestor (MRCA)?

Subject - aged 60's (father unknown, but don't think they're on the maternal line)
Closest match - aged 80's - 165.1cM across 8 segments, suggests 1C;2R to 2C;1R
One daughter - aged 50's - 56.2cM across 3 segments, suggests 3-5C
One daughter - aged 40's - 101.7cM across 5 segments, suggests 1C;2R to 3C;1R

Much appreciated, Hopefulone.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA matches - need help with which MRCA
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 16:36 BST (UK) »
"Closest match - aged 80's - 165.1cM across 8 segments, suggests 1C;2R to 2C;1R"

have you written that correctly? Should it be 1C2R, 2C1R

If it is as i have written then the MRCA would be grandparent or great grandparent as you can see from the chart at

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 19:46 BST (UK) »
Even if you know the ages of the matches you don't necessarily know the biological generation

As the subject is 60 like me he will probably have matches from both earlier and later generations

Also if father is unknown I'm guessing that 1st cousin once removed could actually be a half cousin once removed

I have a match 192cms who is the same age as me but my grandmother's half brothers son
Subject shares a grandmother with my mother

Another from a different line shares 168. +is my grandmother's
Half cousin

And I have a young match at 150cm who is
My second cousin.once removed
My grandfather was brother of her great grandmother
Does that help or muddy the waters

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Hopefulone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 July 20 11:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks both, Apologies, I hadn't  realised it was written incorrectly.  Thanks for the link.
I have looked at this previously but it's quite challenging,  as I only have mother's details, which admittedly are quite extensive, but nothing at all to go on with the father.
So, given how time consuming it could be, I was hoping to not have to unnecessarily follow a maternal match?
Thanks  brigidmac, I do follow what you're saying, but it's hard to know who's who sometimes.
After initial contact success, the match manager has stopped corresponding with me. Which serves to further fuel my intrigue.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 July 20 15:31 BST (UK) »
Do you have ancestry DNA test ?

The colour coding system helps enormously

As does the shared match button

Of the 3 examples you gave do you mean they are all the same family
Do you mean  the 2  daughters of your highest match (full siblings ?)

What /who  is a match manager ?

Offline Hopefulone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 July 20 16:05 BST (UK) »
Yes I do, and the colour coding and shared match tools available on Ancestry are very useful.

eg. the subject in question indicates a highest match at 3rd - 4th cousin level (confirmed as a 3rd cousin).
Also the son of same 3rd cousin indicates matching at 4th - 6th cousin level (which is obviously 3rd cousin once removed).

Sorry for the confusion, I should have said DNA kit manager, when I said 'match manager'.
However, the match highlighted in my original post yesterday is Ancestry test results uploaded to my Heritage

The 3 examples are indeed mother and 2 daughters.
However, the kit manager is the husband of the (40's) daughter. But since I got no reply from him in the first instance, I started to correspond with the 50's daughter who is the most interested in genealogy (judging by my internet searches). She advised me that the kit manager had little interest - he just started a tree so that the DNA results could be attached.

Hope that makes sense.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 July 20 18:07 BST (UK) »
How are you getting on ?

Just checking I'm following ...have all people concerned got DNA  + open trees on  ancestry

Have you looked at some of your smaller matches that are shared matches to them .

If you have confirmed they are third cousin and ,3c1r then I presume you have identified 1 set of great great grandparents already

That's a great start

So you have to work your way thru their descendants checking names of all their children and grandchildren and see if there are any matches to their  spouses names.

It would be easier with examples.
+ If any of the spouses have unusual names or birthplaces

They will not necessarily show as shared matches to the people you've already found .
Good luck

Offline Hopefulone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 July 20 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi brigidmac

Thanks for your reply.
I think I need to clarify:-
In my previous post (9 July) I responded to the question regarding having ancestry DNA test.
I had highlighted an example regarding 3c & 3c1r is specific to the Ancestry matches whom I've identified - through the very small tree which the 3c1r set up, before letting his account lapse.
These are most definitely maternal DNA matches, but I'm not really focusing on that branch at present.

Which brings me to the my Heritage match I'm trying to pin down (which is an estimated) 'somewhere between' 1c2r - 2c1r, and her two daughters.
Without the name of my subject's father, or any information regarding his maternal grandfather, it's proving difficult to make any headway. Especially since the (50's) daughter has not responded to my last 3 messages.
If it turned out to be on the maternal line only, then I'd know to stop searching that match and investigate other avenues. Though I have to admit, it's very time-hungry at present. And I can't be sure if I'm getting close.

My Heritage doesn't seem to offer the shared cousin option that ancestry does, but I am continuing my efforts, with the idea that this could potentially be a half 2c also.

Hope I've made it a bit clearer. Thanks.