Author Topic: Discharge from Royal Engineers  (Read 231 times)

Offline Christine.Horsley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Discharge from Royal Engineers
« on: Wednesday 08 July 20 16:18 BST (UK) »
My Ancestor (Richard Eva) was a Sapper in the Royal Engineers from 1856 to his discharge in 1871/2 following an industrial accident. The records show his intended destination was probably Launceston.
How can we find where he receive his pension, so we can trace where and when he died?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Discharge from Royal Engineers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine and welcome to Rootschat.

Looking at his discharge papers, his intended place of residence was initially High Street, Plymouth. That is crossed out and "Princestown, Devonshire" has been written in - presumably Princetown.

Some pension payment records from WO22 are viewable on FindMyPast but they are a little puzzling. One shows that his payment office in 1872 was Plymouth. Another has a section for his name and regiment under the Madras station in the early 1870's but it is crossed out. There may be more to find in WO22.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 July 20 10:38 BST (UK) »
That is crossed out and "Princestown, Devonshire" has been written in

Princes Town.....

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 July 20 07:39 BST (UK) »
Just linking to a couple of related items:

Old thread on Ancestry re Maltese family https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.eva/105.1.1

Maltese wife murdered ? https://gibraltar-intro.blogspot.com/2014/02/1884-manuel-rodriguez-murder-of-maria.html

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 July 20 08:54 BST (UK) »
Wife and two sons in Gibraltar register of inhabitants 1878:

EVA   Mary   F 28   GIBRALTAR   At Home   R C   Withams Road   26   Mother
EVA   Adolphus   10   MALTA   At Home   R C   Withams Road   26   Son
EVA   Richard   6 GIBRALTAR   At Home   R C   Withams Road   26   Son

https://www.nationalarchives.gi/Surname_1878.aspx

Offline Christine.Horsley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 11:35 BST (UK) »
Dear Shaun,
thanks for all this.
Did you find this information in response to our request for information only, or were you researching Richard Eva anyway?
(Although i'm signed on as Christine, this is John writing) 
We knew about Richard's history because we ordered the death certificate for Maria Alescio which records her death as Murder.
We assumed that on discharge (from Netley Abbey interestingly for us as we used to walk the grounds when we lived near there.) he had gone back to uk and to Princetown as you correctly pointed out.
Maria returns to Gib recording  that Richard was dead! and then shacks up with the lodger who later knife's her to death.
The clip from the newspaper is important because it suggests that he recovers some sight. Where did you get that from and where can we get a copy?  did he continue to receive a pension? and if so where did he collect it?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

I have no personal interest in the Eva family, just responding to your query. I've since seen your tree on Ancestry and I see that you had most of this information already.

The new info is the newspaper clipping which is from the Western Times of 30 June 1876: it's in a long list of testimonials  promoting eye treatment by a Mr Carter of Plymouth. You can find it on FindMyPast or British Newspaper Archive. "Rendlestone" must be Rundlestone - a very small Hamlet near Princetown. I think I counted 4 Eva households there in the 1881 census.

The pension records that are online are not much help except to confirm that the initial paying office was Plymouth. There should be more information to be found but it may require a visit to the National Archives. I wondered if he had gone to Gibraltar to find his family and died there. Or did he go to India? There is that deleted record for him in the pension payment register of the  Madras station .. as though he had asked for his pension to be transferred there, but had never arrived. Strange.