Author Topic: No blood relaatives  (Read 1413 times)

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
No blood relaatives
« on: Wednesday 08 July 20 16:46 BST (UK) »
a friend adopted at birth - married and adopted two children.  She has no blood relatives.  I wonder how unusual this is?

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: No blood relaatives
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 16:48 BST (UK) »
None that she knows or knows of.....but no that is an unusual situation.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 17:08 BST (UK) »
None that she knows or knows of.....but no that is an unusual situation.

that's right -
knows her birth name and place of birth but she promised the parents (now deceased) who adopted her she wouldn't go looking for her birth family.  I get the feeling she'd very much like to trace her birth family but with respect to the parents who adopted her she isn't doing any searching.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 17:49 BST (UK) »
Good for her, to resist that temptation out of respect & love.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 17:55 BST (UK) »
Don't know the precise circumstances, of course, and the conversation which was had with the adoptive parents, but I think I might wonder if the adoptive parents knew some details about the biological parents/mother which they felt they wanted to protect their daughter from.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 18:09 BST (UK) »
Of course we should respect whatever the OP's friend decides to do but just to say my great grandmother was adopted and I have both her biological and adoptive families on my tree.

(As a bonus I now have DNA matches to her biological family proving the christening record that named both unmarried parents all those years ago was correct).
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 18:47 BST (UK) »
a friend adopted at birth - married and adopted two children.  She has no blood relatives.  I wonder how unusual this is?

What do you mean? How does she know she has no blood relatives if she has decided not to trace them?

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 19:35 BST (UK) »
Don't know the precise circumstances, of course, and the conversation which was had with the adoptive parents, but I think I might wonder if the adoptive parents knew some details about the biological parents/mother which they felt they wanted to protect their daughter from.

I think you may be right - my friend was born in London and within a day or two was moved to a Children's Home in the North East - she also hinted that her birth mother was a very young girl - so the parents who adopted her may well have been hoping to protect her from information which may have been distressing??

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 July 20 22:56 BST (UK) »
I agree, they must have had a very good reason for asking her to respect their wishes. The truth may have far reaching effects for her future happiness. If her birth Mother really wants to find her Daughter that's a diffferent mattter, then it would be her choice as to whether or not she agrees to see her. She wouldn't be breaking her promise then.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU