Author Topic: Henry green in prison 1891 , what crime ?  (Read 504 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Henry green in prison 1891 , what crime ?
« on: Thursday 09 July 20 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi , I have made contact with close relative of Henry Green born circa1870 in Battersea London ( or Lambeth London )  but he is an unknown to all of us . There is a Henry Green of correct age in Wandsworth prison 1891 . Can anyone tell me how to find any details ie, crime charged , sentence ,birthplace etc .  Our Henry Green had died before 1918 . Thanks for any ideas Fred ,
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry green in prison 1891 , what crime ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 July 20 01:55 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has

All England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892

currently concentrating on a number of Staffordshire families.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 July 20 03:20 BST (UK) »
The England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892 on ancestry won't be much help because they only give Names, Offence, Death date, Penal Servitude (length of sentence), Whether whipped or fined also, Police supervision and Acqutted or discharged.
I couldn't even get a result until I removed the birth date 1870 +/- 5 from the search form. When I did that and entered the trial  year as 1886 +/- 5 there are 40 results, some plain Henry, some with middle names and some with henry as the middle name. Some are repeat offenders.

How did the close relative get back to Henry Green? His children? Wife? Sister? brother? What led you to him if he is an unknown to you all?

Offline Mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 July 20 03:24 BST (UK) »
If you look at the sentences you can work out which ones might have still been in prison by the 1891 census date.

Still wonít tell you who they were though.
currently concentrating on a number of Staffordshire families.

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 21 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi . Just seen your replies . I am still searching for Henry Green born abt. 1869/70. We know he exists as he married  ( we have marriage cert ) a relative of ours Fanny Jutsum . They are both in the 1891 census . Family history is he was in jail ,we canít find him after 1891 . I think I have found his sister Annie Froud wife of William Froud in Chelsea , out of interest William Froud ( Henry brother in law ) is in prison in 1895 , even though the family stories are that Henry Green was hung for murdering a storekeeper while robbing him in Deptford I have found no proof of anything .
Thank you for your help . Fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 February 21 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Marriage, may not be online
Dec 1890 Wandsworth 1d 1016
Green, Henry
Jutsum, Fanny

They are at the same address as Fanny's parents in 1891, living in Battersea
Harry Green Head 19 Engineer's Laborer, born Battersea
Fanny Green Wife 17 Out of work Chelsea
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QS97-R3Z

So he is not the man in Wandsworth prison in the 1891 census.

Birth later that year
GREEN, RICHARD  GEORGE     
Mother's Maiden Surname: JUTSUM 
GRO Reference: 1891  D Quarter in WANDSWORTH  Volume 01D  Page 600

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 February 21 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jon , thank for your reply . Over the years I have had a lot of help , yours is very succinct , what I need is what happened to Henry Green aged 19 in 1891 . Yes you are right that he was there at time of census so I need to find records that tell me if he was sentenced late 1891 .I am going to spend today trying to link Annie Froud to him . Annie Froud and her children spent most of 1894/5/6/7 in workhouse . I have been trying to find  Annie Froud nee Green and Henry Green in the same place to confirm their relationship .  ;) thanks for your help . Ps . I gave two marriage certs each which give Henry and Annie father as Samuel Green , engineer in Battersea .

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 February 21 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I can't see Annie and Henry Green either, not with a father Samuel.
Annie and children in workhouse, yes.
August 1895 in Wandsworth, and a settlement record, Annie ill treated by husband.

Henry Green disappears? Son Richard George reappears later?
Jon

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 February 21 20:45 GMT (UK) »
No children with them, but on the 1891 thereís a Samuel Green aged 59  Engineer born Yorkshire with his wife Mary A aged 60 born London, living in Battersea.

I havenít had time to trace back on these yet.