Author Topic: A mysterious birth and birthplace?  (Read 849 times)

Offline Emilly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A mysterious birth and birthplace?
« on: Thursday 09 July 20 04:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I’m looking for information on Edward Jones (a laborer, born about 1779 in Breconshire) and his wife, Sarah (born about 1781), who I believe were either the parents - or grandparents - of my 3rd great grandfather, Henry Jones (a plasterer/tiler, born about 1827 in Brecon).

My confusion stems from the 1841 Census, when they were living on Back Street/Heol Hwnt, St David, Brecon, together with two year old Margaret Jones. While Henry Jones’ baptism record lists Edward and Sarah as his parents, the 1841 Census shows Edward as being 65 and Sarah being 60. Henry is only 15.

Adding to my confusion, Sarah listed her birthplace as “foreign” in the 1841 Census. But in 1851, still living on Back Street, she records it as being Gloucestershire. Interestingly, this later Census categorizes Margaret as Sarah’s granddaughter, which is logical given their ages.

Edward is not recorded on this Census, having died in 1849, but is documented in Henry’s 1847 marriage by license (Henry was under age). This shows him recorded as father of the groom. Margaret Jones is a witness to the marriage.

Does anyone have any suggestions why Sarah wouldn’t have identified as being English in the 1841 census? Or similarly, does anyone know the likelihood of a 45 year old woman having a successful pregnancy in 1827?

I’m completely stumped!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: A mysterious birth and birthplace?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 July 20 07:22 BST (UK) »
Other post on family to save duplication
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=831586.

ADDED from that post
Henry Jones
Baptism    04 Feb 1827
Brecon, St David
Father Edward
Mother Sarah

Other possible siblings, parents Edward & Sarah
Elizabeth 23 Apr 1819 - St Mary, Brecon
Mary - 16 Feb 1822 - St Mary, Brecon
Ann baptised 16 Jun 1824 - St Mary, Brecon
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 July 20 07:28 BST (UK) »
In England the question was - were you born in this county yes or no so a similar question would be asked in Wales - very limited answers required.

No relationships are on the 1841 census so he may be with his grandparents.

Ages were rounded down to 0s and 5s note 65, 60 and 15 on the census, so all three could be up to 4 years older.

I have a 2nd gt grandmother and a 3rd gt grandmother (1 my paternal side the other maternal side) in the 1820s and 1850s having children at 45/6.

:)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 July 20 21:40 BST (UK) »
I am in my mid 70s and have a daughter in her twenties; and I live near Brecon.  Maybe it's a Welsh thing.....   ;D ;D ;D
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk