Author Topic: Tell me please about the handkerchief firm  (Read 621 times)

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me please about the handkerchief firm
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 July 20 14:03 BST (UK) »
Other than the obvious what on earth is a fancy duck?

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_duck

Stan

Thank you for that, I have learned something new today.

Stuart

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 July 20 08:49 BST (UK) »
On the Welsh Newspapers Online website there is an article in the Weekly Mail issue of Saturday 6th July 1901 headed 'Feminine Fashions and Fancies'.

Within that article, under the sub-heading of 'Venetian Lace', there is a reference to: 'fast dye embroidery cottons such as "perla-lustra" and mersilka'.

Reading this makes me wonder if, rather than it being restricted to a specific manufacturer, mersilka was instead a patented material that was widely produced under licence.

Willyam

Offline Redblackdragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 July 20 09:00 BST (UK) »
On the Welsh Newspapers Online website there is an article in the Weekly Mail issue of Saturday 6th July 1901 headed 'Feminine Fashions and Fancies'.

Within that article, under the sub-heading of 'Venetian Lace', there is a reference to: 'fast dye embroidery cottons such as "perla-lustra" and mersilka'.

Reading this makes me wonder if, rather than it being restricted to a specific manufacturer, mersilka was instead a patented material that was widely produced under licence.

Willyam

Thank you so much! It is very interesting. Tell me, please, were these handkerchiefs accessible to all sectors of society? The fact is that I live in Russia, and found them in the old flea market. My friends did not even hear about this manufactory. I don’t even know how these handkerchiefs got to Russia