Author Topic: Heggie's wynd Kirkcaldy  (Read 729 times)

Offline East View

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Heggie's wynd Kirkcaldy
« on: Thursday 09 July 20 11:01 BST (UK) »
Can anybody help please?
My great great grandfather Alexander Muir b1821, is shown on the 1871 census as living at Heggie's wynd Page's land Kirkcaldy. I have found Heggie's wynd on a street map of Kirkcaldy but can not find any reference to Page's land.
Any help in finding where Page's land is or was would be appreciated.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Heggie's wynd Kirkcaldy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 July 20 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

X's Land usually refers to the owner of the building(tenement ?) , so it would be unlikely to be marked on a map   :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 July 20 12:02 BST (UK) »
In this context a 'land' is usually a building, often a tenement, and even if it's known as "so-and-so's land" its official address may be something different. I'd expect Page's Land to be a building in Heggie's Wynd, owned or occupied by someone named Page.

If you go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and look at the index to the 1865 and 1875 Valuation Rolls for Kirkcaldy, you'll see that there is a David Page listed as proprietor of a house in Heggie's Wynd.

Alexander Muir is listed as tenant of a house in Heggie's Wynd in 1872, 1873, 1874 and 1875.

You'd need to look at the full valuation roll, not just the index, to see how many properties David Page actually owned, and how many tenants he had in Heggie's Wynd.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline East View

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 July 20 14:08 BST (UK) »
A very big thank you for all your help. I have been puzzled by this for some time as it is not something I have come across before. I will now have a look at the Scotlands People site.
Once again many thanks to you both.