Author Topic: Still Struggling With My Samuel Newtons snd thrir wives  (Read 761 times)

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
Still Struggling With My Samuel Newtons snd thrir wives
« on: Thursday 09 July 20 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I wonder if anyone can tell me if I'm missing something here. In a previous post I was looking at my maternal great grandfathers family After deciphering several incorrect listings for names I think I have the following facts.

My Great grandfather was Samuel Robert Newton b 16.4.1834 in Leicester. He was married twice and I descend from his second wife.

My Great Great Grandfather was Samuel Newton born 8.1.1834 in Sanvey Gate and christened at St Mary de Castro. Samuel married Emma Watts. Emma died in 1911 and Samuel died in 1915  both at 2 Bay street, Leicester where they lived with their daughter Adelaide Hood formerly Bee, formerly Butt (separated from husband and remarried shortly after his death in 1890s)nee Newton
The only problems I had here was the complete mixing up of some family names on a census return or two among which was the fact that Emma was listed as Elizabeth. Think I've straightened all that out now.

Now I come to my Great Great Great Grandfather SAMUEL NEWTON b: 1799 in Leicester and married in 1816/17/19 to HANNAH GRANT
No idea why there are 3 marriage records but I assume the marriages were stopped as they were minors.
Anyway, moving on to 1820 and beyond Samuel and Hannah had at least 7 children.
Joseph b 1820 and Harriet b 1822 Horse Pool St in Leicester both christened at St Mary de Castro. (No idea where Horse Pool Street was.) However, Joseph's mother was listed as HANNAH and Harriet's mother was listed as ANN
Frederick b 1826, Selina b 1828 and Ann b 1831 in Oxford St, Leicester  with the mother's name for Frederick and Selina (who was christened SALINA) being ANN whilst Ann's mother was HANNAH
Great Great Grannddad Samuel was born in Sanvey gate in Leicester in 1834 and christened at St Margaret His mother was HANNAH
Joseph (number 2) was also born in Sanvey Gate and Christened at St Margaret in 1837 and his mother's name was ANN

So I'm thinking that Ann may have been a pet name for Hannah  but although I can find their crazy assortment of marriage dates, (All of which are for the 8th of February in each year.) I can find no trace of a Hannah Grant who seems a likely candidate for the post of my Great Great Great Grandmother.

There seems to be dozens of Samuel Newtons around and I've struggled to separate mine out and I know that my Great Great Great Great granddad is also a Samuel Newton but can't trace a wife for him yet but if anyone can spot something I've missed, find some dates of death or throw any light on either of the missing grandmothers I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

June.
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Still Struggling With My Samuel Newtons snd thrir wives
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 July 20 16:06 BST (UK) »
Just to start with I would say that Ann/Hannah are often intermixed so not to worry too much about that.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 July 20 17:17 BST (UK) »
Ahhhh, thanks Milliepede. That makes sense.  :)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 July 20 22:33 BST (UK) »
Please can you clarify some dates -- you have your gt grandfather Samuel Robert Newton b 1834, and your gtgtgrandfather Samuel Newton also born in 1834.

There is a grave in Welford Rd which contains a Samuel Newton d 1858, age 62, and a Hannah Newton d 1870 age 74, both of Dryden St -- is this your family?

The younger Samuel and wife Emma meanwhile are buried together in Gilroes cemetery. This Samuel's age at death implies a year of birth around 1837.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 July 20 23:02 BST (UK) »
By the way it looks as though there was probably another son, Thomas, b 1839 (christened 1840, address Sanvey Gate), and another one William in 1825 (Oxford St). Thomas's birth registration confirms his mother's maiden name as Grant.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 July 20 23:21 BST (UK) »
Another burial for you, in Gilroes-

Samuel Robert Newton, d in the Royal Infirmary in 1918, age 53; and Matilda Newton, died in Dorset St in 1911, age 43.

So those graves suggest:

1, Samuel (1796- 1858) and Hannah (1796 - 1870)

2. Samuel (1837 - 1915) and Emma (1837 - 1911)

3. Samuel Robert (1863 - 1915) and Matilda (1868 - 1911).

There are various other family members (other surnames) sharing some of these graves, and I can see Frederick's grave too with other family members also in it, so if you don't have those details I'm happy to share.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 July 20 13:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying Annie65115. Sorry, I must have been typing without my brain in gear with those dates.

Samuel Robert was christened 21st April 1866 at St George. I have a birth date of 16th April 1864 for him though this comes from a family member so can't confirm it.

According to the details I've seen his first wife Ann Ballard died in 1888 leaving him with two young sons. He married Matilda Simpson in 1891.

For Matilda I have a birthdate of 1867, not confirmed

Matilda and Samuel are buried in plot L232 at Gilroes on 7.8.1911 and 8.2.1918 respectively

Samuel the younger was christened on 8.21.1834 at St Mary de Castro. I have no evidence of his birthdate other than a date given to me by another family member.

Emma, nee Watts, appears to have been born C1867

I have the details of their burials in 1915 and 1911 as being in plot L300 at Gilroes. I think Willsy found those for me.

Samuel the elder was christened at St Mary de Castro on 6.1.1799, the birth date from my family member was given as 2.1.1799

I have his death as 1858 but no further details.

I have no details at all for Hannah Grant.

I didn't have Thomas nor did I have William, the children born in 1839 and 1825 respectively so will enter them on my list. Many thanks for that.

I'd be very grateful for any information you can share with me for any of these family members it would be a great help. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply,

Kind regards,
June

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 July 20 15:15 BST (UK) »
Leicestershire baptism images are available on FindMyPast.

To confirm, for you, that Samuel Newton, son of Samuel and Sarah Newton, was baptised on 5 January 1799, born 2 January 1799.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 July 20 15:36 BST (UK) »
And Samuel Junior was baptised on 8 January 1834 at St Margaret, Leicester, the son of Samuel (Framework Knitter) and Anne of Sanvey Gate. 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY