Author Topic: James ROBISON  (Read 782 times)

Offline Purpurea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James ROBISON
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 July 20 11:41 BST (UK) »
SP has a death for an Elizabeth ROBERTSON / Walker , age 40 , 1900 Annan Dumfries ?

There is also a Will for a James Robison , date 21st July 1909 , died 15th Sept. 1908 , Prestondam, Annan.

ev

Added-
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/210195856/james-robison

Hi Ev

Thank you for this information.  It's good of you to look it up.

I'm going through it and trying to fit the jigsaw pieces in.

I was just wondering how a person that was made bankrupt still lived on the farm 5 years later and I assumed that he must not have owned it, even though it was his uncle's and it looks like his uncle married late and didn't have any children of his own!  But was it left to someone else or left in trust...  I'm presuming their Wills could probably solve this question and/or if James' son, James, carried on living on the farm after his death in 1908?!

I've asked Kay if there is a way of establishing ownership/leaseholders etc at this time.

Thanks again.

;D

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 July 20 12:28 BST (UK) »
Is there a way of finding out who owns/leases properties at this time
Look the property up in the Valuation Rolls at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 July 20 12:46 BST (UK) »
The Scotsman 16 May 1906

Scottish Bankrupts
Petions
James Robison Farmer of Prestondam in the Parish of Annan

Carlisle Patriot 13 August 1886

Marriage at Dumfries 4 August James Robison Farmer of Prestondam Annan to Elizabeth Walker daughter of the late James Walker of Carlaverock

Kay

Hi Kay

This information is also intriguing.

James married two days before he was made bankrupt but five years later they are still living on the farm which used to belonged to his uncle.  You would initially assume that the farm had been left to him by his uncle (who married late) but this may mean that somebody else owns it and they are renting/leasing!  Would suspect a copy of Robert's will would solve this).

Is there a way of finding out who owns/leases properties at this time?

Different members of the Pickering and Thomson families seem to live with them over time too.

Many thanks Kay.   ;D

Apologies - I think my newspaper extracts were confusing.   The bankruptcy report was in 1906 but the marriage report was in 1886 - thirty years earlier.   

Kay

Offline Purpurea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 July 20 15:28 BST (UK) »

Apologies - I think my newspaper extracts were confusing.   The bankruptcy report was in 1906 but the marriage report was in 1886 - thirty years earlier.   

Kay

Ok, thank you Kay. :)

Offline Purpurea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 July 20 15:30 BST (UK) »
Is there a way of finding out who owns/leases properties at this time
Look the property up in the Valuation Rolls at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

Ok.  Thank you!

Offline Purpurea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just wanted to let you all know that James' daughter is thrilled that you managed to trace her father & his family in the 1800s and with all the information that you so kindly provided:

'Wow that’s fantastic. I took paperwork round this morning for Norma to look at . She’s so happy with it all. Ian their army son was there at weekend and was looking at the file I’d created for her. Ian has said he wants the file to keep. 
Dave wants me to get him the long birth certificate as well so I will do a copy to put in the file for when Ian eventually has it. 
X'

I've since also managed to find an Ordinance Survey document showing who owned/rented Priestholm Farm in 1848-1858 - which the family lived in then.

Thanks again for putting Norma and her family on the right track.

Thanks again...