Author Topic: Carter and Newman families Lachine, Quebec  (Read 644 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Carter and Newman families Lachine, Quebec
« on: Friday 10 July 20 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hello all

Can anyone help me with some further information/guidance to find details for the above.

What I have:

Caroline Mary Ann Newman, born 8 Dec 1876 Poplar, London.
daughter of Edward Newman (1847-?) and Elizabeth Cox (1856-1884).  I have Caroline in the 1881/1891/1901 censuses in London.

In the 1901 the household includes visitor Arthur Carter
aged 25 (so born c 1876) born St James, London, occupation house painter.

In July 1901 Caroline Mary Ann Newman and Arthur Carter marry in Westminster, London.  I don't have the certificate or any further details for this apart from the marriage reg.

Arthur Carter MAY be Arthur Godfrey Carter born Mar qtr 1876 in St George Hanover Square Volume 01A  Page 402, who appears with his family in the 1891 Census in Pimlico in London (parish St George Hanover Square), with pob shown as Pimlico. 

I cannot then find Caroline and Arthur in the 1911.  They are not the Arthur George Carter family found in the 1939 Register and 1911.

Caroline Mary Ann had a brother Edward John Newman, born Dec qtr 1879 in Poplar who also appears in the 1901 with Caroline and Arthur and the family.

When researching where these people went, I came across an obituary (actually a funeral notice) in Quebec as follows:

CARTER Caroline.  At the Montreal Protestant Hospital on September 8th 1961 in her 85th year, Caroline Mary Ann Newman, wife of the late Edward Arthur Carter, sister of the late Edward Newman (Ted).  Funeral service on September 9th at 12 noon from Leather's Funeral Home 1718 St Joseph Blvd, Lachine, Interment Lakeview Cemetery

Going back from that,
I can then see an Edward Carter in the 1911 Canada Census in Quebec (Jacques-Cartier) District 162/Sub district 19 - labourer, boarder.

And then a pair of travel documents from 1920 showing Edward Newman and Caroline Carter, both returning to 27 Twentyeighth Ave, Lachine Canada from the UK after a 'holiday' staying with Aunt Mrs Eastman 47 Prestbury Road East Ham.

However, apart from the death notice for Caroline, which suggests that she and her husband (?) remained in Quebec, and that her brother Edward (Ted) seems also to have done, I can't find any further information or census on them.

I'm a bit confused also by the transformation of Arthur Carter to EDWARD Arthur Carter, but maybe there's an explanation for that.

Can anyone guide me find more details for Caroline and (Edward) Arthur Carter in Canada?  Did they have children (not mentioned on funeral notice, though).  Did Edward (Ted) Newman marry?

Thank you for reading.  Caroline is my 2nd cousin twice removed, and as usual I have got entwined in the research to find out exactly what happened to her.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Carter and Newman families Lachine, Quebec
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 July 20 13:38 BST (UK) »
No luck with the census as yet . But I have found her on the Voters List for 1935 :

Quebec, Jacques-Cartier , 17ieme ave, 14

Edward Newman , librarian
Mrs Carolina Carter , widow
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 July 20 13:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Christine.  That's a step up for Edward who's previously been shown as a labourer.

And Arthur Carter (or Edward Arthur Carter) has evidently died before 1935.

Excellent, inching forward  ;D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Online dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 July 20 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

On Caroline's voyage in 1920 she says she a widow. She had been in Canada 7 years (1912ish).

I am not spotting a death in Quebec for Arthur/Edward.

DB

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 July 20 13:55 BST (UK) »
As late as 1953, Caroline is still living with her brother Edward in Montreal based on Voters' Lists, so he died between then and when Caroline passed away.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 July 20 14:13 BST (UK) »
She makes another trip home and returns to Canada in 1927 bound for her brother in Lachine, Quebec.  Previously in Canada from 1912 to 1927.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 July 20 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

On Caroline's voyage in 1920 she says she a widow. She had been in Canada 7 years (1912ish).

I am not spotting a death in Quebec for Arthur/Edward.

DB

Thank you, I didn't spot that on the 1920 record, will go back and have a proper look.  Apologies.

There is a potential UK death for Edward Newman, which I'd ruled out previously but which may be him, if you're not seeing him in Quebec.

And with regard to Arthur Godfrey Carter, I have a vague recollection I saw something in an Army record for WWi which I ruled out at the time but which might have been him, I will go back and try and find it again.

It may be that Caroline was left in Canada and when she died nobody could really recall in 1961 what her husband's name was back from before 1920.

No children apparently though.

Thank you so much for turning up the records, Christine, dbree and Eileen, it's a great help.   ;D ;D ;D

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 July 20 14:43 BST (UK) »
Quebec death records for that timeframe are not available publicly so I'm sure he died in Montreal in that timeframe.  Also, civil records in Quebec only came into being around 1990. Prior to that, the records were kept by the churches. There is an obit for an Edward Newman in 1952 in Lachine (Montreal), but it says he is a widower and doesn't name his sister, so not sure this is the right guy.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 July 20 15:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Eileen.  With a combination of twiddling I've found the voters' lists you've been mentioning to follow Edward and Caroline.

They evidently lived together for many years.  Not at all sure what happened to Arthur Carter.  If I'm right about the Arthur Godfrey Carter, there are some military entries for such a man, but he says he's unmarried.  Separated from Caroline?  Or just the wrong man.

I won't worry too much about tying up that loose end, having with your help sorted out my direct connections, Caroline and Edward.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London