Author Topic: Mask choices  (Read 3751 times)

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mask choices
« on: Friday 10 July 20 12:02 BST (UK) »
I assume that Trump doesn't wear a mask because he's too vain (although he did say that he had worn one once and thought he looked like the Lone Ranger - funny, I thought, since the Lone Ranger's mask covered his eyes and not his lower face), but what's the reason for our politicians not wearing masks?  Boris certainly doesn't wear one in his ghastly photo opportunities, nor does Rishi Sunak, nor as far as I can see from the papers and TV coverage do most, if not all of our politicians.  How can they then expect the general public to wear masks, especially as medical advice seems to increasingly be in favour of  the benefits from them?

Yesterday I made my first excursion into town  to have my hair cut.  The hairdresser had taken extensive measures to rearrange her salon and wore a visor and so on.  I wore a mask, too, and then went on to a very large farm shop nearby.  I was the only person in the store wearing a mask and there were no signs organising a one-way system, also no social distancing. There were, however, a couple of hand sanitiser bottles around.  I made my purchases rapidly and fled.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Mask choices
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 July 20 12:08 BST (UK) »

Wearing of masks is compulsory when we leave our homes here in South Africa, all shops have sanitizing stations at the door with an attendant to ensure that you do.  A lot of businesses are also temp screening.  If you're above the limit, you're turned away.  It is good to see that the majority of folk are adhering to the rules...
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 July 20 12:19 BST (UK) »
I wear a mask in a shop, have made a few, one circular more fitted and others pleated, both are very easy to wear except they steam your specs up,  washing up liquid apparently helps on specs, more and more I see people going about with no masks, even shop staff whizz about with no mask, I would prefer if it had been compulsory  from the start

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 July 20 15:19 BST (UK) »
Here in Scotland masks are now compulsory in shops as well as on public transport.  Everyone in our local shop this morning was wearing one, apart from some staff with visors instead. Visors seem a better option for spectacle wearers.  Glasses steaming up are such a nuisance; can't see without them and can't see with them!
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 July 20 16:27 BST (UK) »
I hate the things and will only wear one to be able to get on public transport. I find them suffocating and pointless - given that its taken our beloved government months to come to the conclusion that they may be useful.

All that kerfuffle we had a while back about burkas and being able to see people's faces!!

I went into the local Coop yesterday and not only was the lad at the till sitting behind a huge plastic screen (which incidentally has a 'hole' in it so that you can flash your card, so what's the point?) but he was also wearing one of those plastic helmet things. He's a nice lad but quite softly spoken and we usually exchange a few pleasantries but, what with the double plastic 'shields' between us, I couldn't hear a word he was saying!

Personally, I think the country's gone mad. We are destroying (have probably already destroyed) our economy and frightened the bejesus out of most of us people of a certain age (me included) for something that, if handled properly, should have been over and done with by now. People have become totally fixated on what the 'rules' allow us to do and not do. There's no logic to any of it. Now we can see 2 people in a bubble (!), a few days later the number changes or the bubble moves! What on earth is the sense of 'allowing' people to go for a pint/have their nails done/ get a tattoo whilst kids are still not in school - and now won't be for nearly another 3 months? Why couldn't our 'leaders' figure out a way of reducing the summer holidays to get kids back - say - at the beginning of August? Because it would have meant they'd have to think outside the box and actually tackle teachers unions. Heaven forfend that we actually do something innovative!

They're on a power trip. They love telling us, every few days, what we can and cannot do. I, for one, am sick of it. If they really, truly thought the virus was still such a danger, how come I haven't seen a politician on tv wearing a face mask?

I have feared from the beginning of this virus that the government saw it as a way of controlling us minions. Witness the way hordes of police suddenly became available to shoo old ladies off park benches when they'd more or less stopped investigating real crimes. 

Bit by bit, we are moving towards a police state and the thing that really frightens me is that most people seem quite happy to let it happen.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 July 20 16:48 BST (UK) »
Isabel, I'm concerned about steaming specs. I've tripped up on pavements and car park at TESCO even without steamed specs. I've not worn a mask yet.
 Need to visit a local shop today for food (Scotland). I'll have to put mask on immediately before entering shop, get round as quickly as possible while trying not to bump into anyone, get out before I steam up and remove mask so I can walk home safely. Last time I spent longer at self-service checkout than I did filling trolley because of a barcode problem which took 2 members of staff to sort out while queue lengthened behind me.
5 shops with food & essentials within 5 minutes walking distance so haven't been on a bus for 4 months.
Cowban

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 July 20 16:56 BST (UK) »
Washing up liquid helps specs

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 July 20 16:59 BST (UK) »

I went into the local Coop yesterday and not only was the lad at the till sitting behind a huge plastic screen (which incidentally has a 'hole' in it so that you can flash your card, so what's the point?) but he was also wearing one of those plastic helmet things. He's a nice lad but quite softly spoken and we usually exchange a few pleasantries but, what with the double plastic 'shields' between us, I couldn't hear a word he was saying!

I'm normally softly spoken, don't have a local accent and my hearing is less than perfect. Perhaps we'll all have to learn BSL.  :)
3 of the 5 local shops have been held up by robbers armed with knives in recent years.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 July 20 17:01 BST (UK) »
Washing up liquid helps specs

LM

Please expand. Should I wash them before I go out?
Cowban