Author Topic: Mask choices  (Read 3745 times)

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mask choices
« Reply #18 on: Friday 10 July 20 23:04 BST (UK) »
Although the mask is to protect others from you it also provides some protection for you. The point is if everybody protects everybody else then you are eventually protecting yourself.
I'm afraid though, that from what I have read on this thread and others threads on RC that people are much to selfish to consider the wellfare of others over and above their immediate needs.
I must say my opinion of a lot posters here has dropped considerably
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 July 20 23:06 BST (UK) »
  The best masks I've come across so far are those my daughter ordered for us online - they are like soft tubular scarves/snoods, which we wear round our necks in a decorative manner, and then when we need to go into a shop or whatever, we pull them up in the manner of The Lone Ranger.  Very comfortable, nothing hanging on the ears, and you can arrange them so you have single, double or triple thickness depending on how you fold them.  And because they are stretchy, they stay put, even when I'm talking.

The Lone Ranger wore an eye-mask. So did Zorro.
Were you thinking of bandits in Westerns?
Textile masks are supposed to be washed at 60 degrees after each wearing.
Cowban

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 July 20 23:09 BST (UK) »
I thought that to be worn correctly masks should not be touched (ie no pulling up and down) and needed to be removed in a particular way - by only touching the straps if I remember correctly, then disposed of in the rubbish bin. Unsure if they need wrapping first.

As for washable masks, presumably the method would be the same but straight into a bucket of washing detergent of some sort?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 July 20 23:10 BST (UK) »
Although the mask is to protect others from you it also provides some protection for you. The point is if everybody protects everybody else then you are eventually protecting yourself.

Exactly  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 July 20 23:15 BST (UK) »
You're splitting hairs MS.  The fact is that the masks work well, and yes, we do wash them after each wearing. We happen to know what we are doing, unlike so many others who have no idea about social distancing and not pawing every item on a supermarket shelf without buying.

I agree with YT - I wear a mask to protect other people, not to protect me.  I find that when I go into shops, I assume that I have covid-19, and that I need to distance to avoid giving it to other people.  I suppose the efficacy of this approach depends on whether you're concerned about your fellow citizens.  I agree also with YT - I am surprised and disappointed in equal measure by some of the posts regarding these issues.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 July 20 23:25 BST (UK) »
I just think that the more we wear them, we will persuade others to do so.
I haven’t been shopping or inside anywhere apart from occasional visits to two small local shops and have been wearing disposable ones but I am hoping to buy washable ones from the chemist tomorrow.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 10 July 20 23:31 BST (UK) »
I keep a few spare masks and gloves* in the car, just in case we run out - and top them up when necessary.

* and hand santizer
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 10 July 20 23:39 BST (UK) »
People in Ecuador wear masks, seemingly without complaint.  I'm sure they don't like it but they do it.  I've only personally seen one maskless person out and about since March.  It was the teenage neighbor boy who came to say that his ball had fallen over the wall into our yard, could he look for it?  He stood well back while I opened the gate for him.  At other times, I've seen him coming and going with his mask on.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 11 July 20 07:45 BST (UK) »
Washing up liquid applied neat, then rubbed off on, does indeed stop glasses steaming up (also helps mirrors in the bathroom) as previously stated.

However, if glasses are steaming up, the face covering isn't perhaps fitted correctly. There should be quite a snug fit around the nose. Masks with nose clips are preferable to those without, to help avoid steaming up, also to help prevent the mask/covering from slipping down.

To those who don't wish to wear them, I would ask if you remember the introduction of compulsory crash helmets, compulsory seat belts. Those who didn't want to comply came up with various reasons as to why they couldn't or wouldn't, for health or purely selfish reasons. Now most people do comply, and the health reasons have vanished.

On another forum which I sometimes go to, the number of people who say they can't/won't wear a face covering for 'health' reasons appears to be staggering.

Suffocating
Breathing problems
Sensory issues
Psychological issues
Etc, etc the list goes on.

Just get used to it, like a seat belt or a crash helmet, but this time hopefully not for ever.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go