Author Topic: Does anybody like the new normal?  (Read 3396 times)

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Does anybody like the new normal?
« on: Friday 10 July 20 20:02 BST (UK) »
I can't say that I do.

In the old days we would generally go out most days, have a wander around the shops in a local town or market town, have a coffee, maybe lunch.  Have a wander around a supermarket or something.  All of this seems to be so much hassle at the moment, I don't want to be bothered with it.

We are not doing much more than we did during lockdown except we have now had our hair cut.  I'm strangely happy to be around our house and garden but can't wait until things get back to a proper normal - but I'm beginning to doubt it will ever happen.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody like the new normal?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 July 20 20:30 BST (UK) »
Yes me too.

I used to love just sitting in a coffee shop watching the world go by or mooching round a shop not for anything in particular, just looking to see what the new fashions/colours are.

My activities with the U3A (Bridge, Art, Singing for Fun) are all on hold. We hold our ukulele sessions on Zoom but have to be on mute except for the leader as the time lag between us would make a terrible row. It's not the same, although we have a chat in between songs.

I used to love hopping on the train to go to stay with my daughter for a few days - valuable mum & daughter catch- up time when we could talk about personal things & chew over our worries. Not so easy online.

My cousin and I would meet up in London, go to our favourite venue and spend about 5 hours just chatting about family, everyday life & our childhoods.

I appreciate I don't have to worry about redundancy, mortgage etc although I have children and grandchildren I worry for. But I feel at my time of life I might not have too many years of reasonable fitness left & it irks me to be just marking time maybe for up to another year.

Sorry for the pessimism, I've made a very conscious effort to remain upbeat and cheery throughout, but I think not being able to see an end to it is getting me down.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 July 20 20:31 BST (UK) »
I agree, Rishile. I have been able to open up my caravan, so I'm now able to sit looking at the sea, which does feel a bit more normal. However things on the site are different e.g the office isn't open to go into, you have to speak to them through the window which has a perspex screen in front of it. The communal areas are closed and we have to let the managers know when we are resident on site, rather than just coming and going. People are also keeping their distance. Usually when I'm here I use the local supermarket, but I've been able to get a delivery so am doing that instead.

I look at the television and people seem to be going about life as usual, apart from social distancing in most cases. It's almost as if it's all over, but I don't feel that way yet, so will only be going to places that I have to i.e I had to get petrol before I came down here - can't do that on line.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Liam59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 July 20 20:39 BST (UK) »
Looking to the future a little, I was interested to read this overview of vaccine development work and can only imagine the phenomenal amount of work that is going into all the research and development.  According to the article there are already 4 vaccines in Stage 3 trials:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 July 20 07:32 BST (UK) »
My OH has ME and has spend a lot of time at home for a number of years where we have lots of outdoor space in a rural area so in many ways lockdown wasn't that different  for us.   I never liked shopping trips and  have bought online for years if I can't buy it from the nearest small market town.  We also cut our own hair, grow fruit and veg etc  Like you Rishile  we are comfortable at home.

However I really miss coffee/lunches with friends and the wonderful local cafe where we used to pop into for an impromtu lunch when the day was wet and dismal.   Even when these places open I doubt we would feel comfortable going back at the moment. I really shouldn't grumble as we are much better off than most.   

Kay

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 July 20 08:28 BST (UK) »
we used to pop into for an impromtu lunch

Oh the joy - I just wish we could do that again.

Rishile
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 July 20 08:47 BST (UK) »
we used to pop into for an impromtu lunch

Oh the joy - I just wish we could do that again.

Rishile

I think the new normal for a long time is going to be having to book for everything, so people will have to plan in advance. No longer waking up thinking, ď Itís a lovely day, letís go to xxxxx.Ē Even if itís just a walk or a drive, unless you have booked ahead, the chances are you wonít be able eat anywhere.

My niece and family have a self catering holiday booked in a few weeks time, so they have had to think ahead and prebook visits, as most places are working on about a 40% of normal capacity. To play safe they are only visiting outside venues, such as zoos. So will have to go, even if it is pouring with rain.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 July 20 08:49 BST (UK) »
The UK governments have made everyday life pretty joyless. In Scotland compulsory mask wearing has turned shopping into a miserable chore. Casual conversation is dead - muffled sounds are not a conversation. Nobody smiles anymore, or if they do how would you know as their face is hidden behind a grotesque mask. Social interaction is at the core of humanity; our governments do not seem to understand this basic fact.

People need to get out and spend to get the economy going again but who wants to amid the myriad of confusing and anti social rules. We need to shop for food but why should anyone go into any other shops. Our family has abandoned non food shopping until such time as we are treated like human beings. Sorry High Street!
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 July 20 08:54 BST (UK) »
I hate to plan things.  I much prefer to just do whatever we fancy doing at a given time.  I think the new normal has taken all the fun and joy out of life.  I only go where I have to go now.  I go to the supermarket, for walks around our village, to the chemist.  I have been in a couple of shops and had my hair cut but the experience is far to clinical for me.  Hand sanitizer, arrows on the floor, don't touch anything, queue to get in, queue at the tills, screens, contactless payment, stay 2m apart and soon, wear a mask. 

For the short term I am happy to stay at home where I can eat or drink what I want, when I want, I can walk around not worrying about social distancing, touching anything, and I don't have to queue to get in.  However, I am beginning to wonder how long it will be before things get back to the real normal and whether we will be able to adapt again.

Rishile

SonofThom - I was typing as you posted.  I totally agree - I will keep my money in the bank until things improve.

Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex