Author Topic: Does anybody like the new normal?  (Read 4513 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody like the new normal?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 July 20 22:52 BST (UK) »
The changing rooms are closed Jan, if you buy, then return the items they are quarantined for 72 hours.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 July 20 23:04 BST (UK) »
The changing rooms are closed Jan, if you buy, then return the items they are quarantined for 72 hours.
Carol

Think I'll stick to buying on line at least for the moment then. I certainly don't fancy two trips to the shop.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 July 20 23:20 BST (UK) »
I must admit I've not even considered the necessity of buying new clothes for the past few months.  I've been v happy slobbing around in trackie bottoms and tee shirts plus a fleece on chilly days.  I've been without shoes for so long that my feet have become trotters.  I fear I've gone feral, there is no hope for me.  Is this the new normal?  I rather like it.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 July 20 00:08 BST (UK) »
For myself and Mr. Cat the new normal is just about the same as the old normal.

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 July 20 09:12 BST (UK) »
I must admit I've not even considered the necessity of buying new clothes for the past few months.  I've been v happy slobbing around in trackie bottoms and tee shirts plus a fleece on chilly days.  I've been without shoes for so long that my feet have become trotters.  I fear I've gone feral, there is no hope for me.  Is this the new normal?  I rather like it.
Oh I totally agree with this.  Any clothes I have needed (not many - just socks) I've bought with my weekly shopping in the supermarket.  I did treat myself to a new t-shirt in the same supermarket but I know their sizes fit me.

I had to put a pair of 'real' shoes on the other day.  It just didn't seem right.  I have been wearing slippers indoors, crocs in the garden and trainers for our walks and supermarket shopping.  Real shoes just didn't seem right.

I have to admit I've enjoyed lockdown but this limbo we are in at the moment is not so good.  I still feel as if we are in lockdown because all we're doing is essential shopping, picking up prescriptions and a daily walk around our village.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 July 20 12:36 BST (UK) »
In all honesty I was fine for the first couple of months.  I'm a homebody at heart so other than not seeing my son I didn't find it too hard.  I still went to my Dad's every day as he has care needs, but beyond that I was happy at home.

As the weeks and months have gone on though I've become more and more restless, and craved for the return of normal life.  As soon as things started to reopen I've been out there doing as much as possible.  The shops aren't as joyless as I'd feared (new shoes and a handbag yesterday!) but if face masks become compulsory then I think they'll struggle.  I've worn one a few times but absolutely hate them - I can't breathe, my glasses steam, and as conversation is virtually impossible it creates an eerie, silent world that feels completely alien, and not somewhere I want to live.

The pub also isn't too bad - I've been twice and haven't had to pre-book, and as I prefer to sit outside anyway, it still feels normal.  Dad has really struggled with the isolation so hubby took him to the social club when it reopened, and both said that the committee has worked very hard to create a safe but seemingly normal atmosphere, minus the usual entertainment.

My sister has booked two holidays already - one next week and the other in August, although that's definitely a step too far for me just yet.

One positive thing from the whole lockdown though is that it's firmly reinforced the importance of doing things while you can, and hang the expense! 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 12 July 20 12:52 BST (UK) »
Jomot, Rather weirdly in Scotland the compulsory wearing of masks seems to have increased the fear factor with many people, surely the opposite of what any responsible Government should want. The law in Scotland now requires children aged 5 and over to wear masks if they go into any shop. Given that children are not susceptible to Covid 19 I think that this is a particularly gross requirement imposed by the Scottish Government.

Speech is a problem with mask wearing and of course nobody smiles in shops now, or at least if they do you cannot tell. What a joyless existence the politicians have created for us.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 12 July 20 13:17 BST (UK) »
The fear factor with compulsory masks is understandable, because they were not needed before but are now suggests that it is no longer safe to go out. Both Boris and Nicola are sending mixed messages to the people.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 12 July 20 13:31 BST (UK) »
Jomot, Rather weirdly in Scotland the compulsory wearing of masks seems to have increased the fear factor with many people, surely the opposite of what any responsible Government should want. The law in Scotland now requires children aged 5 and over to wear masks if they go into any shop. Given that children are not susceptible to Covid 19 I think that this is a particularly gross requirement imposed by the Scottish Government.

Speech is a problem with mask wearing and of course nobody smiles in shops now, or at least if they do you cannot tell. What a joyless existence the politicians have created for us.

I have had the opposite problem, on Friday night I had a woman hanging over me, too close for polite interaction with a stranger  in non covid times never mind now.  when I gave her a look she told me to relax I had a mask on. 
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others