Author Topic: Does anybody like the new normal?  (Read 4507 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody like the new normal?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 11:29 BST (UK) »
I refuse to spend my money if I get no pleasure out of doing so. 

I fully understand that, but the consequences of not spending will be every bit as disastrous - if not more - than the virus itself.  Following the introduction of compulsory face masks I will be moving my shopping trips to the local outdoor market, but will still be visiting pubs, restaurants etc, which feel much more like the 'old' normal, even with the restrictions.

Regardless of the reasons for them, I can't explain how depressed and despondent I feel at the prospect of only seeing muzzled faces, but I've given myself a kick up the backside and will try to make the most of the summer months when we can at least be outside without masks.  I've had to block all thoughts of this continuing through the winter though, as I find myself sinking when I do.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 11:37 BST (UK) »

My local Waitrose car park yesterday was littered with paper masks and blue plastic gloves. Presumably people had just discarded them as they got in their cars?

Don't people realize that the gloves in particular can be washed and reused?

And who do they think is going to pick up all of their litter?

Romilly:-(

Perhaps supermarkets need to install bins beside the trolley parks, so that when you return the trolley you can discard your mask and gloves?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 13:13 BST (UK) »
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 14:06 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, more problems

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-contact-tracers-in-england-locked-out-of-accounts-12028196

Some days when I hear about the latest efforts of these nincompoops I lose the will to live !
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 14:39 BST (UK) »
NO! But we shall have to get used to it!I have just taken part in an economics webinar, asked the following question: If as I believe the economic system is fatally wounded where do we go next?
China? Response Consternation. Think it through, USA led by a dangerous sociopath, EU rejected by referendum. And we are well on the way to upsetting China too! Aguguably good reasons, but what can we do?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 14:42 BST (UK) »
NO! But we shall have to get used to it!I have just taken part in an economics webinar, asked the following question: If as I believe the economic system is fatally wounded where do we go next?
China? Response Consternation. Think it through, USA led by a dangerous sociopath, EU rejected by referendum. And we are well on the way to upsetting China too! Aguguably good reasons, but what can we do?

We can do what the British always do in a crisis.  Make a cup of tea.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 14:43 BST (UK) »

My local Waitrose car park yesterday was littered with paper masks and blue plastic gloves. Presumably people had just discarded them as they got in their cars?

Don't people realize that the gloves in particular can be washed and reused?

And who do they think is going to pick up all of their litter?

Romilly:-(

This was a topic on a lunchtime programme on Radio 4 yesterday (can't remember if it was "You & Yours " or "World at One"; I switched on in the middle of it).  The main purpose of wearing a face covering is to protect other people. Discarding it carelessly, even throwing it in an open waste bin, is a risk to other people. The person interviewed said government guidelines should include proper disposal. He's in favour of members of the public wearing washable face coverings not disposables. Also said that gloves are unnecessary. He gave an estimate of potential increase in plastic waste from single-use masks & gloves + packaging + environmental impact of transporting the items, mostly from abroad.

The interview was about a report "The environmental dangers of employing single-use face masks as part of a COVID-19 exit strategy" from The Plastic Waste Hub which seems to be connected to University College London.
Some other news reports:
"Coronavirus PPE litter widespread, says Keep Wales Tidy" (This mentions that volunteer litter-pickers are understandably reluctant to pick them up.*)
 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk.wales-52907686
"Ministers declare new war on single-use plastics" Daily Telegraph 10th July
"The new plastic bottle? How to dispose of face masks in an environmentally safe way" Independent website 14th July
"Are face masks the new plastic pollution?" Daily Mail 8th July
*Friends and I do frequent voluntary litter collections in normal times but haven't done for months because of health concerns. I've also taken part in annual beach-cleans; scheduled one for this year was cancelled.
Cowban

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 14:54 BST (UK) »
My local Asda has a bin for masks and gloves, didn't notice any in the carpark.
People seems so scary now with masks on hoods up and glasses which go dark (like mine).
I lost weight during lockdown so I treated myself to some new jeans, trousers, bra and tights and bought my husband some "boxers".  I also got some new baking trays and jugs, perhaps that will help the economy a little!!
rayard.