Author Topic: Cleaning Plastic cards  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning Plastic cards
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 July 20 02:04 BST (UK) »
I have a debit card to withdraw cash. Haven't used it for months. The 2 local cash machines I generally use are immediately outside a shop which have hand sanitiser at entrance.  Purchases have been paid (mostly contactless) by credit card, of which I have 2. I also have a TESCO money card which doesn't currently have money on it. I haven't sanitised any card. By the time I use them again whatever was on them should have died.
I've never thought of cleaning a card unless I've dropped it on the ground and probably not even then; by the time I got home I would have forgotten. I've not caught an infectious illness apart from colds for 18 years. I've been practising "social distancing" at peak infection times throughout those years because my immune system is wonky.   
Cowban

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 July 20 08:28 BST (UK) »
Before lockdown we had ordered some batteries for father in law, unfortunately they took a while arriving, but he needed them so came to pick them up, (placed in a bag over the gate no contact) he posted the cash through the letterbox and when we opened it he had disinfected it with disinfectant. We had to spread the notes out to dry! Good job these new ones are washable.
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 July 20 09:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks groom. I only thought of it this week, having used up my spare cash paying some of the people who came to deal with the tree and the fence. I will use my local bank branch not the outside ATM.

That's what I do I would not use outside ATM at least inside you know they have been wiped and there is tissues there  for your own use ..Worth the wait in a queue  ;)

Rosie

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 July 20 10:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone

The branch I use is quite small and I estimate that it would only take 3-4  people inside with social distancing, so I'll have to go on a sunny day  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 July 20 15:18 BST (UK) »
Before lockdown we had ordered some batteries for father in law, unfortunately they took a while arriving, but he needed them so came to pick them up.

He doesn't have a mains adaptor then?.  ::)
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

guest189040

« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 July 20 15:35 BST (UK) »
My procedure is as follows:-

Small spray bottle of sanitiser, spray over keypad, card slot and the slots where the receipt and cash come out.

Wait 20 seconds.

Put on a disposable glove and only touch the cashtill with the gloved fingers

Undertake transaction

Placing card, cash and receipt inside a freezer bag, place in your bag (I use ziplock freezer bags).

Dispose of glove in waste bin or place it in the freezer bag

Spray hands with sanitiser.

At home, leave freezer bag somewhere for at least three days.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 13 July 20 19:16 BST (UK) »
My procedure is as follows:-

Small spray bottle of sanitiser, spray over keypad, card slot and the slots where the receipt and cash come out.

Wait 20 seconds.

Don't you run the risk of damaging the card machine if you are spraying liquid into the card slot and where the cash comes from, especially if everyone does it?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 13 July 20 20:02 BST (UK) »
Isn't there a chance of electrocuting yourself - or the next user - if you're spraying a machine with an electrical connection with alcohol?  I suppose at least that would be a quick end, rather than a lingering one, but all the same, as a former H&S rep, I would certainly implore anyone using this method to desist.

And another thought - if everyone is doing this, the machine itself is going to be surrounded by alcoholic fumes.  The first smoker that turns up to use it is likely to go up like brandy on a Christmas pudding.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 13 July 20 21:47 BST (UK) »
I don't think my bank would approve of that method  :-X

Each position has a little card reader attached and the counter staff look after them  8)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***